0  |  skin: 1 2 3  | Login | Join  | 

Audioindy.com

Mail discussion to a friend Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About 7161 forums Forum home New Topic

Forums   -   Mixing & FX

Subject: Behringer_MDX1400 AUTOCOM PRO

Viewing all 3 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

Original Message 1/3                 Date: 09-Mar-05  @  11:22 AM   -   Behringer_MDX1400 AUTOCOM PRO      [Link: Behringer - MDX1400 AUTOCOM PRO]

steveokane

Link?:  No link

File?:  No file

Please help. I am a singer/songwriter, and am about to home record a c.d. I am technically illiterate. I have an AKG c3000 mic, phantom powered by a Behringer Euro rack mx620 A. This goes into a Behringer Autocom pro MDX 1400 compressor....which I don't understand! My guitaring is gentle picking, my vocal clear, warm, intimate. Thats it!(all very simple/no drums,mega bass etc) Please please advise compresssor settings??
Free c.d when finished to the helper!!  )
regards, Steve O'Kane

[ back to forum ]               [quote]

Message 2/3                 Date: 09-Mar-05  @  09:52 PM   -   RE: Behringer_MDX1400 AUTOCOM PRO

k

Link?:  Link

well sadly i'm of the opinion with all the headroom available now with digital that i dont use any compression on record, only on mix. For one thing very gentle compression doesnt do a whole lot and if it's used more strongly to even out bad dynamic technique, one is susceprible to more pops/plosives and sibilance.

something with a fast attack, 1/2 sec release, 2:1 ratio - then try tweaking the Ratio up a tad and making the release a tad faster perhaps - some where around there, but gently does it... btw, if you increase the attack time this add's more punch to the initial attack of the vocal phrase, which may or may not be desirable.

but seriously, try it without compression too and then try adding some on mix using a s/w comp'

I had an idea for a script once. It's basically Jaws except when the guys in the boat are going after Jaws, they look around and there's an even bigger Jaws. The guys have to team up with Jaws to get Bigger Jaws.... I call it... Big Jaws!!!

Message 3/3                 Date: 14-Mar-05  @  03:32 PM     Edit: 14-Mar-05  |  03:36 PM   -   RE: Behringer_MDX1400 AUTOCOM PRO

psylichon

Link?: Link

agreed on the no compression thing. If you reeeeeeally like the sound of an analog compressor (i.e. it sounds better than any of your software compressors... and there are very few of those that come to mind), then I would say track with it. But if you're compressing on the way in to "use more bits" then you're completely wasting your time with a 24-bit system. You'll get all the resolution you need to capture the dynamic range of your analog front end, even without a compressor, and even if your peaks only hit -20!

In fact, your analog front end is, no offense, not of the highest quality. I would back off my preamp gain and not use the compressor, record quieter signals and boost them with software trims and compression, and I bet your sound will improve tenfold by doing that alone. Besides, plugins love headroom.

Viewing all 3 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

There are 3 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum