0  |  skin: 1 2 3  | Login | Join  | 

Audioindy.com

Mail discussion to a friend Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About 7161 forums Forum home New Topic

Forums   -   Mixing & FX

Subject: What shall i do about headphones?

Viewing all 9 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

Original Message 1/9                 Date: 25-Feb-05  @  10:40 AM   -   What shall i do about headphones?

Will

Link?:  No link

File?:  No file

Hi guys,

I could do with some advice about incorporating headphones into my setup. Up untill now i had no need to use headphones at all (didn't record any vox and didnt have to worry too much about neighbours) but now i have moved house and want to incorporate heaphones into the studio.

I am getting to the point where i do NOT want to go changing all my equipment to solve this problem. I cannot go on buying stupidly expensive studio toys nowdays so i want to get this done with the minimum amount of hassle. Heres the setup in a nutshell:

PC running sonar 3, Yamaha sw1000xg, ds2416, ax16at. The ax16at is adat-ed to the rack into an alesis ai3 (8 ins / 8 outs), and the master out of the ds2416 mixing card is running into a samson servo 170 amp and absolute 2's.

I've decided to get a pair of AKG K240DF.

Right, i hope you followed that. It seems to me that the simplest way that i would solve this problem would be to plug the cans straight into the amp, cut out the monitors and then i would be able to hear the whole mix, so i could tinker at night and record vox without noise spillage.

However the servo 170 has no headphone jack (I guess cause its not a hifi amp) which i liked when i got it, but now im annoyed that i could really do with it!
One of my mates has got a c-control as a headphone amp, but i suppose if i went that route, i would loose 2 outs from the mixer and i would have to spend about a ton on the c-control in the forst place, and its annother thing to supply power to which i could do without.

So this is mu hunch, and feel free to comment cause im just spilling my brains at the moment, but i should sell the samson amp and get something else that has a headphone jack?

Help please oh experienced ones...!

[ back to forum ]               [quote]

Message 2/9                 Date: 25-Feb-05  @  12:56 PM   -   RE: What shall i do about headphones?

k

Link?:  Link

just had this issue with my boys setup now he's added active monitors there's no way to get a headphone feed and turn down the monitors

we settled on a cheap solution - Behringer UB502 mixer tablet for 30 quid

L/R OUT from PC goes to 502 stereo channel IN,

master L/R out of 502 goes to active monitors, headphones go in headphone socket

both have individual volume pots

I had an idea for a script once. It's basically Jaws except when the guys in the boat are going after Jaws, they look around and there's an even bigger Jaws. The guys have to team up with Jaws to get Bigger Jaws.... I call it... Big Jaws!!!

Message 3/9                 Date: 25-Feb-05  @  12:57 PM   -   RE: What shall i do about headphones?

k

otherwise, mebbe MAPLINS have some solution cheap.. but this was a quick easy fix and cheap

I had an idea for a script once. It's basically Jaws except when the guys in the boat are going after Jaws, they look around and there's an even bigger Jaws. The guys have to team up with Jaws to get Bigger Jaws.... I call it... Big Jaws!!!

Message 4/9                 Date: 25-Feb-05  @  01:27 PM   -   RE: What shall i do about headphones?

Will

Thanks for the reply k,

Yeah just had a look at at that gizmo, and it looks alright, apart from that it will need powering. I've just had a peek on Maplins with no joy.

I was thinking that there might be some kind of passive box on sale for a tenner or so that would take a pair of LR inputs and then have a pair of outs with the option to bypass the outs in favor of a headphone socket on the side or summink along those lines. This way it would be able to go in series between the amp and the speakers. Im guessing that this is way that the circuit works in an amp already with a HP socket.

I had a look at some other rackable power amps, and none of them come with a HP socket. I must be the only person that has a need for it really. I dont quite see why my smaplers should have a phones socket, but the amp not. I mean apart from someone like DJ Shadow who's only got 1 smapler, i dont really see why anyone would want to listen to it directly through cans, but the amp on the other hand seems obvious.

Right this theoretical box thingie i outlined above... I might have a stab at making one with some TRS chassis sockets or something. Would this work?

Message 5/9                 Date: 25-Feb-05  @  04:09 PM   -   RE: What shall i do about headphones?

k

weell you need power to drive a headphone amp see, otherwise yes it can be a passive router, but then you might as well use a patchbay

Message 6/9                 Date: 27-Feb-05  @  03:21 AM   -   RE: What shall i do about headphones?

Influx

Link?: Link

have a look at the samson C-Control. Less then $100 US...decent quality, headphone outs, many monitor outs, muting for monitors, separate volume for headphones, etc.

if only SM ProAudio had put a headphone amp in their M-Patch Id say look at that one, too!

then theres the Mackie Big Knob...by far the best affordable unit...tons of routing (really its a patchbay too), two phone outs, etc...

Message 7/9                 Date: 27-Feb-05  @  03:23 AM   -   RE: What shall i do about headphones?

Influx

oh...oops...you dont want a C-Control

in all honesty your setup sounds way more complicated than it needs to be! but..thats just me

sorry for not readin the whole post. you ramble 

Message 8/9                 Date: 27-Feb-05  @  09:21 AM   -   RE: What shall i do about headphones?

urbicide

might wanna consider a pair of Sony MDR-7506's... best headphones ever created for monitoring, ie: production. lightweight, zero noise output (good for vox), and the best translation of sound from system to system. What you hear is what you get.

Message 9/9                 Date: 27-Feb-05  @  07:40 PM   -   RE: What shall i do about headphones?

psylichon

If you have an old boom box laying around with aux inputs, get some RCA->1/4" adapters at radio shack and convert an RCA cable so you can plug a pair of outputs into the boom box. Then in Sonar, on your master bus fader, insert a prefader send to that pair of outputs and yer smiling.

Also nice to check mixes on a crappy boom box.

As for headphones, I second the 7506's (especially over the AKG's... I hate them frankly)... the Sony's used to be my absolute favorites till lately I tried the Ultrasone HFI-700's.... holy shit are those great headphones. If you got the dosh (a little over $200) I recommend them above all else (even most nearfield monitors!)

Viewing all 9 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

There are 9 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum