0  |  skin: 1 2 3  | Login | Join  | 

Audioindy.com

Mail discussion to a friend Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About 7161 forums Forum home New Topic

Forums   -   Computer music & technology

Subject: How to find midi controller number used

Viewing all 6 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

Original Message 1/6                 Date: 30-Jan-05  @  02:35 AM   -   How to find midi controller number used

Joseph Watkins

Link?:  No link

File?:  No file

If I have some automation recorded for a VSTi controller (e.g. filter frequency), is there a way to find out the midi controller number that was used?

My problem is, I have an external midi controller (Evolution UC-16) and I want to assign the controllers on it, but I don't have information on what midi number controls which controller in all my VSTi's. I thought I could record some change on the VSTi, and find out from the automation which midi number was used, but it only shows the name of the control, no number.

Am I missing something? Using SX2

Thanks

[ back to forum ]               [quote]

Message 2/6                 Date: 30-Jan-05  @  11:58 AM   -   RE: How to find midi controller number used

groovemonkey

Link?: Link

err.. as far as I know, there is no easy way to deduce the controler number from automation data. hoiwever... read the manual for the vsti they nearly always detail the midi implementation

G

Message 3/6                 Date: 30-Jan-05  @  05:37 PM   -   RE: How to find midi controller number used

k

Link?:  Link

truoble is with all these automation sections is they do not use CC's, the take sysex and convert it to cc's on playback.... so you'd have to use the midi track for the controller data, not the vsti automation track

innit?

I had an idea for a script once. It's basically Jaws except when the guys in the boat are going after Jaws, they look around and there's an even bigger Jaws. The guys have to team up with Jaws to get Bigger Jaws.... I call it... Big Jaws!!!

Message 4/6                 Date: 30-Jan-05  @  10:05 PM   -   RE: How to find midi controller number used

Joseph Watkins

Link?:  No link

k - are you saying that I can capture the automation track into a midi track somehow ? If, yes, I'll RTFM more carefully, but I can't think of a way of doing that.

Thanks for the swift reply - I haven't been here for a few years, good to see you still going.

Message 5/6                 Date: 31-Jan-05  @  10:00 AM   -   RE: How to find midi controller number used

k

Link?:  Link

well, on the midi tracks, if you open a midi part in the piano editor, you have the lower controller lanes area.... so you'd record the controller moves to there by highlighting the midi track and recording.... if you use the automation track for the VSTi you have to know the INCOMING sysex for that parameter

this is something i've run into using the BCF's & BCR from behringer

the BCF is preset, and where the plugin synth follows VSTi protocol, you get control, but behringer do not supply a list of those sysex strings to convert when using the BCR, so using the BCR I found i have to use the actualy MIDI track to record controller data for a plugin synth

if steinberg, cake and emagic supplied lists of the sysex it would be easier

unless I got this wrong... anyone?

I had an idea for a script once. It's basically Jaws except when the guys in the boat are going after Jaws, they look around and there's an even bigger Jaws. The guys have to team up with Jaws to get Bigger Jaws.... I call it... Big Jaws!!!

Message 6/6                 Date: 03-Feb-05  @  12:42 AM   -   RE: How to find midi controller number used

sox

Link?: Link

1) Hit record,
2) wiggle yer knob,
2) Go to MIDI/List Editor....shows everything that 's been recorded.

sox

Any lists of sysex will be listed in the manual I would've thought. They are for most machines....

Viewing all 6 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

There are 6 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum