0  |  skin: 1 2 3  | Login | Join  | 

Audioindy.com

Mail discussion to a friend Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About 7161 forums Forum home New Topic

Forums   -   Computer music & technology

Subject: what version to upgrade from?

Viewing all 9 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

Original Message 1/9                 Date: 15-Jan-05  @  12:06 AM     Edit: 15-Jan-05  |  12:07 AM   -   what version to upgrade from?

S1GNALRUNNERS - BLU

Link?: Link

File?:  No file

ok realllllllllllllly wanted to post this in musc tech so it would get noticed sooner but hopefully someone will see this in time :P

im setting out in the morning to pick up sx3 -

i was there today checking out prices etc, and the guy says i can have either of these for same price-

Cubase x-tc paxk (sx and a pile of plugs, tc natives etc) & sx3 upgrade cd

cubase sx2 (plus sx 3upgrade cd)

-

what would i be better going for? I see that xtc pack has a load of mint plugs, but im concerned if i upgrade to version 4 in future ill get stung more for having sx rather than sx2 as the original

does sx2 come with extra plugs trhat sx doesnt?

any thoughts?

cheers

blu

[ back to forum ]               [quote]

Message 2/9                 Date: 16-Jan-05  @  12:12 AM   -   RE: what version to upgrade from?

k

Link?:  Link

does sx2 come with extra plugs trhat sx doesnt?

nope

'possible upgrading to SX 4 restrictions' - did you ask that question of steinberg? - yes i know you might wait for a long time for reply if you ever get one.

it does make you think - 499 euros for X|TC - 149 euros for the upgrade from SX V1/2 - 711 euros for SX3

I had an idea for a script once. It's basically Jaws except when the guys in the boat are going after Jaws, they look around and there's an even bigger Jaws. The guys have to team up with Jaws to get Bigger Jaws.... I call it... Big Jaws!!!

Message 3/9                 Date: 16-Jan-05  @  04:34 PM   -   RE: what version to upgrade from?

mcc>

i finally made the leap to os X and sx3 and i'm jazzed after one entire day night and now...the morning with it.
she's a lovely thing!!

but am i no longer able to set my own colors for midi and audio parts?

i just always enjoyed doing that.

sx 3 comes with some nice plug-ins already included.
plus you get hypersonic and halion....Lm7...not bad for starters.

Message 4/9                 Date: 16-Jan-05  @  08:31 PM     Edit: 16-Jan-05  |  08:32 PM   -   RE: what version to upgrade from?

Influx1

actually...SX2 does come with additional plugins...two synths...embracer and monologue...and I believe a new filter?

Id go the cheapest route because once you have SX3 in your hands, I believe the upgrade would be from there. I dont think theres a "people who went from sx, to sx2, to sx3" upgrade path. Its just from the version you currently own

also..I dont know what sort of numbers youre looking at, but I might be able to get you the SW for a better price.

email me and lets see if we can work it out for you!

Message 5/9                 Date: 17-Jan-05  @  02:48 AM   -   RE: what version to upgrade from?

S1GNALRUNNERS - BLU

ah, thanks influx- but i already went and got it on saturday. Andrew could have gotten me it thru the education system for i believe, 379 dollars, but i managed to get a good deal going with the x-tc pack with sx3 upgrade so im sorted  

Im defo converted after a few hours use

its so smooth, no crashes yet! (not that im used to crashes, pt is really reliable but had invisaged a few blips at outset, but was straight out the box and away, no problems)

ive been vstless since my 5 years on rtas format protools, im having a ball here!!

First project on saturday afternoon = mix and master a multitrack andrew had put together for a remix we had due in on the next day - sunday ( today)

waxed it in 4 hours from opening box and installing - is it me or does sx have a kind of 'sound' to it on digital mixdown, like different to protools?

anyone used both and thought this? i know its digital, and numbers etc, but just noticed it seemed alot easier work mixing the shit down than normal, maybe just a lucky mix day i guess?

Overall, id say that maybe its because im used to it, but PT has the edge still in audio editing etc, however sx is great at evrything else, and not half bad at audio editing from my prelimanery use, certainly enuff to warrant the change

*takes off his digidesign tinted specs

SX baby yeah!!!!

blu

Message 6/9                 Date: 17-Jan-05  @  07:48 AM   -   RE: what version to upgrade from?

welder

Dunno about how PT works, but SXs mixer can sound a bit different, it's not that it's worse or better, its just the way it handles that 32 bit floating point headroom. (One thing is that clipping will never occur at channel stage, only at master out. Also, SX has some settings for panning, "panning rule" if I remember correcltly, can be defined on a per project basis.)

cheers,
Welder

Message 7/9                 Date: 17-Jan-05  @  10:32 AM   -   RE: what version to upgrade from?

dARKSTATe

Welcome to the fold mate!

I love SX and now with my shiny new BCF to use as well I'm having a ball.. nice motorised fader setup on a budget!!

Message 8/9                 Date: 17-Jan-05  @  08:31 PM   -   RE: what version to upgrade from?

D.L.Spang

yeah welder its "pan law" but that only affects how much gain reduction there is on panned channels I believe

Message 9/9                 Date: 18-Jan-05  @  02:50 AM   -   RE: what version to upgrade from?

psylichon

PTLE also uses a 32-bit float engine, so things shouldn't sound too different there. You cannot clip a channel or a master fader in PT, either... only a physical output (I believe all the DAW's are set up with this virtual headroom)

The biggest difference with Cubase is when you use that "tape emulation" thingy... adds second order harmonics and a touch of compression like analog tape does, and this definitely colors the sound. Most people like what it does. Perhaps it's on by default?

Viewing all 9 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

There are 9 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum