0  |  skin: 1 2 3  | Login | Join  | 

Audioindy.com

Mail discussion to a friend Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About 7161 forums Forum home New Topic

Forums   -   Drums / rhythms / programming

Subject: Triplet Swing Theroy

Viewing all 11 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1 2

Original Message 1/11                 Date: 15-Sep-04  @  11:08 AM   -   Triplet Swing Theroy

Dominic

Link?:  No link

File?:  No file

Drums, drum, drums, drums. Drums, drum, drums, dru……….oh hello. When you work with triplets over standard 16th paterns, are you (technically) s'possed to swing the 2nd triplet. And by how much? Should my swang triplet be swang as much as the 2 & 4 16th. Say I have the 2nd and 4th 16th on a swing of 41, do I have the 2nd triplet on 41 aswell or one third of that?

Phanx.

[ back to forum ]               [quote]

Message 2/11                 Date: 16-Sep-04  @  09:18 AM   -   RE: Triplet Swing Theroy

k

Link?:  Link

too broad a question mate.... you might be talking about JD beats for example - now.... tell me the swing in that?.. lol - actualy it's a 3 time push .... depends on genre etc

I had an idea for a script once. It's basically Jaws except when the guys in the boat are going after Jaws, they look around and there's an even bigger Jaws. The guys have to team up with Jaws to get Bigger Jaws.... I call it... Big Jaws!!!

Message 3/11                 Date: 16-Sep-04  @  09:21 AM   -   RE: Triplet Swing Theroy

k

btw - if you use Logic, you can create groove templates from audio loops - I guess SX & SONAR might do that too (as well as Orion & Fruity), but not being a regular user of those ones I dunno

anyways, that feature is great because it allows you to use material from CD of your fav artists to create templates

I had an idea for a script once. It's basically Jaws except when the guys in the boat are going after Jaws, they look around and there's an even bigger Jaws. The guys have to team up with Jaws to get Bigger Jaws.... I call it... Big Jaws!!!

Message 4/11                 Date: 16-Sep-04  @  11:37 AM   -   RE: Triplet Swing Theroy

Dominic

Hi K

The genre is house music. So, I want to use the odd triplet patterns over the standard house patterns. I usually use swing B or C depending on the tune. Usually B cos I find that C sounds a bit too "tech house". As you know B is 21 ticks and C is 41 ticks. Does that provide a bit of clarity K?

Also, d'you think that the audio loop to groove template thing works well? I don't. Sad I know but I usually cut every single 16th of my favourite tracks in recycle then examine. I find that audio loop template option doesn't provide me with an accurate groove template compared to when I use rrex files cos the audio loop template thing is always out by at least 5 ticks.

Ta.

Message 5/11                 Date: 16-Sep-04  @  12:34 PM   -   RE: Triplet Swing Theroy

k

no, it's great in Logic, you have to mess with the velocity - the other thing you can do is - mae a copy of the loop after getting the hitpoints for the kick & snare, and then take the copy loop and cut all the bottom end out with an eq, then use that to get the top-end quantise for the hats, shakers etc.

still not sure how you mean adding 'triplet' patterns - got any audio example of the sort of thing you mean? - (you can attach an mp3 loop to a forum post)

Message 6/11                 Date: 17-Sep-04  @  12:20 AM   -   RE: Triplet Swing Theroy

beds

aye. what are you on about?

Message 7/11                 Date: 17-Sep-04  @  10:47 AM   -   RE: Triplet Swing Theroy

Dominic

Sorry lads, Probably taking about this all wrong. You know, 8 note triplets in Logic (if that is what their called). I'm basically chattin about the triplet pattern that fits 3 notes into one quarter note. Positioning is 1, 81, 161 respectively. Which one of these 3 triplet notes am I s'possed to swing. Maybe the second one with a lower velocity aswell?

If I am using 16B swing in logic for all my 2nd and 4th 16th's, how do I translate this swing into a triplet hat pattern rollin over the top of my 16B 4x4 house beats?

Is that about as clear as mud then boys?

Message 8/11                 Date: 20-Sep-04  @  03:12 PM   -   RE: Triplet Swing Theroy

Dominic

I am getting the dogs and horses ready to hunt you two down.

Message 9/11                 Date: 20-Sep-04  @  03:18 PM   -   RE: Triplet Swing Theroy

beds

8th note triplets and 16b are different feels , the triplet one's more bouncy with the 2nd and third hits nowhere near any of the 16b 16ths

Message 10/11                 Date: 20-Sep-04  @  03:58 PM   -   RE: Triplet Swing Theroy

Dominic

Thanks Beds. I know what you are saying with regards to a triplet pattern and a 16th pattern having a different feel. My question is IF I am using them both in the same track, then what should I swing the 2nd triplet by, if anything? Cheers.

Message 11/11                 Date: 22-Sep-04  @  06:12 PM   -   RE: Triplet Swing Theroy

k

dude, post up a clip of something please - btw - do you use Logic?

Viewing all 11 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1 2

There are 11 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum