0  |  skin: 1 2 3  | Login | Join  | 

Audioindy.com

Mail discussion to a friend Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About 7161 forums Forum home New Topic

Forums   -   Guitars & amps

Subject: Replacing a nut

Viewing all 7 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

Original Message 1/7                 Date: 05-Aug-04  @  04:54 AM   -   Replacing a nut

Musineer Productions

Link?: Link

File?:  No file

I've got a Squire Precision Bass with a busted nut (or is that knut?). I'm told there
can be problems in replacing it myself. Apart from gouging my hand with the
pneumatic drill, what are these problems?
Anyone got any tips? Also any suggestions where I can buy one?
Someone mentioned an uncut bone nut that I could fashion to size, but are the
string slots of a critical width?

I've got another older bass of the same make and model. It's got a cracked body
which is bad enough to raise the strings from the fret board. I'm thinking of just
swapping the necks as a quick no cost solution. Anyone know of a reason why this
might not be a good idea?

[ back to forum ]               [quote]

Message 2/7                 Date: 05-Aug-04  @  10:04 AM   -   RE: Replacing a nut

k

Link?:  Link

oddly I too have just now got to change the NUT on my acoustic which broke last week.

NUT's usualy are located with some easy-to-snap-off glue - designed to break off with a smart tap with some instrument - in other words it shouldnt be fixed with a strong adhesive - it should be as simple as knocking the old one off and putting a new one on.

mind you, if it's an old precision who knows... our bassist's got one, but I never checked how the nut is fitted

to swap the necks they'd have to have a similar fitting and the same scale length of course...

actualy I've got an old precision neck somewhere lying around, an early one with the telecaster style headstock, but again, cant remember how the nut is fitted.... hang on.....

well i just rooted it out - it's standard NUT... it should come off with a sharp tap, mebbe put a bit of dowl against one end and rap the dowl with a hammer sharply - it shouldnt have to be sawn off, it should use a lite glue.

New ones are easy to get, but you could add a brass nut or bone or plastic or even graphite

I had an idea for a script once. It's basically Jaws except when the guys in the boat are going after Jaws, they look around and there's an even bigger Jaws. The guys have to team up with Jaws to get Bigger Jaws.... I call it... Big Jaws!!!

Message 3/7                 Date: 05-Aug-04  @  10:17 AM   -   RE: Replacing a nut

k

btw - your email doesnt seem to work - we got an admin alert that the forum couldn't send you a flag that someone had replied to this forum post

if you want to update it, just send us a mail with the required email address to be added to: admin (at) dancetech (dot) com

I had an idea for a script once. It's basically Jaws except when the guys in the boat are going after Jaws, they look around and there's an even bigger Jaws. The guys have to team up with Jaws to get Bigger Jaws.... I call it... Big Jaws!!!

Message 4/7                 Date: 06-Aug-04  @  05:50 AM   -   RE: Replacing a nut

Musineer Productions

Hi K,

Thanks for the advice. The nut seems to be in a groove, but I'll have a go at
tapping it out on Monday.

The guitars appear to be similar. I'll try the neck-swapping next week too.

Thanks also for the nod 'bout the mail. I've sent a message as suggested.

Message 5/7                 Date: 06-Aug-04  @  10:41 AM     Edit: 06-Aug-04  |  10:43 AM   -   RE: Replacing a nut

k

ah - that type set into a groove I know the one... I can recommend the french guy on denmark street - check the link

Message 6/7                 Date: 08-Aug-04  @  05:22 PM   -   RE: Replacing a nut

Musineer Productions

Champion!

The other guitar shop I've known on Denmark Street for umpteen years told me I'd
have to take the guitar in.

(neat use of weblink!)

Message 7/7                 Date: 08-Aug-04  @  07:39 PM   -   RE: Replacing a nut

k

ye-s, them... well i find this guy to be more, shall we say, straightforward

Viewing all 7 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

There are 7 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum