0  |  skin: 1 2 3  | Login | Join  | 

Audioindy.com

Mail discussion to a friend Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About 7161 forums Forum home New Topic

Forums   -   Theory / composition / technique

Subject: piano for dummies

Viewing all 4 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

Original Message 1/4                 Date: 09-Mar-04  @  11:55 PM   -   piano for dummies

Purple Haze

Link?:  No link

File?:  No file

Hey! May I recommend 'Piano for dummies' for anyone who is interested in learning the basics of music theory ?
I had allready some very basic knowledge which I gathered here and there over the years, but this book (althougth it contains useless parts on buying a keyboard/piano and stuff and how to put your hands when playing) it contained lots of usefull info imho.

If anyone else had any good tips on books (or site) about theory I'd be happy to learn about them.

[ back to forum ]               [quote]

Message 2/4                 Date: 12-Mar-04  @  07:59 AM   -   RE: piano for dummies

jjfreqy

i don't think that the part about showing you where to put your hands while playing is useless at all... it is very important.

j

Message 3/4                 Date: 04-Apr-04  @  05:22 AM   -   RE: piano for dummies

pict

"On Piano Playing" by Gyorgy Sandor how to play the piano with minimal damage to your hands

"The contemporary keyboardist" by John Novello.
This guy is a bit of a scientologist but the info in his book is pretty nifty just ignore his odd bit of babbling like I did.

"The Jazz Theory book" and "The Jazz piano book" by Mark Levine both share some material but are very good

"Improvising Blues Piano" by Tim Richards play like a bloozer

"Arranging Techniques for Synthesists" by Erik Turkel

"The Principles of Orchestration" by Rimsky-Korsakov very good book

"The lydian chromatic concept of tonal organization" by George Russel is very good it inspired the modal jazz movement

and if you want to try some of John Coltrane's reading material

"Thesaurus of scales and melodic patterns" by Nicholas Slonimsky

Message 4/4                 Date: 04-Apr-04  @  05:32 AM     Edit: 04-Apr-04  |  05:34 AM   -   RE: piano for dummies

pict

double post

Viewing all 4 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

There are 4 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum