0  |  skin: 1 2 3  | Login | Join  | 

Audioindy.com

Mail discussion to a friend Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About 7161 forums Forum home New Topic

Forums   -   Deejay & deejay kit

Subject: Organising Recorded Records

Viewing all 13 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1 2

Original Message 1/13                 Date: 14-Feb-04  @  12:45 PM     Edit: 14-Feb-04  |  12:45 PM   -   Organising Recorded Records

Steve Roughley

Link?:  No link

File?:  No file

I need some help here. I've finally finished recording all of my records to mp3 so that I can play them through Traktor on my laptop (as well as for backup purposes). And I have run into a major dilemma. How on earth do I organise my mp3 collection? My physical records are all organised by label, which is easy because I tend to associate a record with its cover. But when I just have a list of tracks all I have to go on is "Artist - Track Name (Remix Details)" and I have hundreds of them now and quite a few of the tracks never even came off of a record (some from CDs, others bought online from places like bedrock.uk.net), so I can't go by label. All of my tracks can be placed under the genre 'progressive' (house and breaks), so I can't really split them into genres or styles as so many of them are just completely ambiguous. Somebody, somewhere must have come up with an effective solution. Any ideas people?

Steve.

[ back to forum ]               [quote]

Message 2/13                 Date: 14-Feb-04  @  01:52 PM   -   RE: Organising Recorded Records

milan

Link?: Link

teehee... i was wondering about that too actually, since i remember most of my tunes just by the record sleeve. i dont even know what half of them are called even!

couldnt you like... put the label in the name of the mp3? like "label_artist_track.mp3" or something? or can you maybe not put them all in separate folders, organized by the label?

sorry.. i'm not much of an mp3 deejay...

Message 3/13                 Date: 14-Feb-04  @  02:16 PM     Edit: 14-Feb-04  |  02:17 PM   -   RE: Organising Recorded Records

Steve Roughley

Hhhmmm. Cheers Milan. Just putting the label at the beginning would not be too much of a help either, as I don't even know what half of the labels are called, but, you may be on to something. Maybe some kind of mnemonic would help. I could conceivably create an Icon for each label and then alter the extension of each track with a unique abbreviation of the label and assign each icon to its abbreviation. So that a tune on Choo Choo records would become Mara - Computer Beats (Original).mp3.cho and the icon for .cho records would be a little c in the style of the label's logo. This way I would be able to actually see each label. It all depends on whether or not Traktor will still read the files if the extension is screwed around with, which I don't think it will. Actually, that is a really silly idea that would take me a stupid amount of time to implement.

Anyone got any better suggestions than mnemonics? I'm just embarrassing myself here.

Though, on second thoughts, if the mnemonic idea does work, I might just take the time to write a little mp3 labelling and organisation program. That could be something really quite useful.

Steve.

Message 4/13                 Date: 14-Feb-04  @  02:32 PM   -   RE: Organising Recorded Records

milan

i'm sure there are such programs available already... i remember one that could read the info from the tag and write it into file name, and the other way around, and other things too... no idea which program that was tho. i think an old neighbour of mine might have written something like that actually   i'll ask him when i see him online.

Message 5/13                 Date: 14-Feb-04  @  02:41 PM   -   RE: Organising Recorded Records

Steve Roughley

That would be great. Cheers Milan.

Message 6/13                 Date: 23-Feb-04  @  05:58 PM   -   RE: Organising Recorded Records

Steve Roughley

Hey, Milan. Did you get around to asking your neighbour about that program?

Also, has anyone got any ideas as to how I could organise my recorded collection? This is starting to drive me mad; going through hundreds of records while mixing is far from ideal.

Steve.

Message 7/13                 Date: 23-Feb-04  @  06:19 PM   -   RE: Organising Recorded Records

milan

yeah i did... that was for v1 tags only, and about the times of win95  ... doubt it'd run on xp.

he says he'll hit me up when he writes a new one but dont hold your breath for it, sorry...

Message 8/13                 Date: 23-Feb-04  @  10:57 PM   -   RE: Organising Recorded Records

best

^ that might help

Message 9/13                 Date: 23-Feb-04  @  10:59 PM   -   RE: Organising Recorded Records

beds

Link?:  Link

erm, can't even type my own name :|

Message 10/13                 Date: 23-Feb-04  @  11:03 PM   -   RE: Organising Recorded Records

beds

another one there ^

Message 11/13                 Date: 24-Feb-04  @  09:41 AM   -   RE: Organising Recorded Records

Steve Roughley

Not to worry Milan. Cheers anyway.

I've just bought that softpointer, Beds (not bad for £8). I'll let you know how it works out. I also found out that Traktor does something similar. So last night I bit the bullet and went through half of my tracks and defined just about anything that I might remember a track by, such as the trackname, artist, remixer, genre, label and any comments, such as extra remix information. I also made use of a field called 'ranking' to add a number from 1 to 5 to the tracks that represented where in a set I would be most likely to place the track, (which will drastically reduce the number of tracks to search through during a set). 1 being the intro, to 5 being the finale. If this way of organising recordings doesn't work, then I'm probably just gonna have to put up with it.

Steve.

Message 12/13                 Date: 24-Feb-04  @  04:41 PM   -   RE: Organising Recorded Records

i hate you but love bums

Who cares about DJing? That was sooooooo 1997.

Message 13/13                 Date: 01-Mar-04  @  10:44 PM   -   RE: Organising Recorded Records

dr_haskell

I did my hole collection at xmas.

One of the best is the free real player. Suprisingly. Good genre & album grouping which makes looking at your mp3s easy. Click on the library bit if you already have realplayer on your pc.

The one i use now is dbpoweramp which is free, i tend to search for a track with the windows search and then drag the tracks into the playlist on dbpoweramp.

Viewing all 13 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1 2

There are 13 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum