0  |  skin: 1 2 3  | Login | Join  | 

Audioindy.com

Mail discussion to a friend Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About 7161 forums Forum home New Topic

Forums   -   Mixing & FX

Subject: Clarification

Viewing all 6 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

Original Message 1/6                 Date: 25-Aug-03  @  07:51 PM   -   Clarification

switchbladesousa

Link?:  No link

File?:  No file

Hello All. I have been messing around with electronic composition for the past several years and having a blast with it, but there are some areas that are still a bit cloudy to me. Particularly, profesional recording and mixing techniques. Before I go any further let me tell you my basic setup: yahmaha A3000, yahmaha CS1x, pentium 633mhz 500+ram, rebirth, reason, Sonar.
I run the cs1x stereo outs into the A3000, then the A3000 outs into my soundcard, nothing fancy ESS Allegro, I believe. Most of my compositions use only the A3000 and the CS1x. My ultimate question is When recording from external gear to my pc's hard drive, is it optional to have it as isolated as possible, meaning, BD on one audio track, bassline another, Hi hats on another, etc., rather than glom it all together on one stereo audio track. With the setup I have now, this seems like an excruciating recording process. You know, it's funny, as I write this it seems like a no brainer, but I'd still love to have some feedback. I am currently looking to build a new system, and the soundcard is my major concern; I've got my eye on a dsp2000 C port.
Thanks
Jon

[ back to forum ]               [quote]

Message 2/6                 Date: 25-Aug-03  @  10:24 PM   -   RE: Clarification

Influx

Link?: Link

as far as mixing goes, yeah..its a good idea, if possible, to have individual sounds seperate on their own channels.

NOT absolute tho..I mean..dude..its electronic music. We're either bending or breaking traditional rules all the time!

one thing tho..Im sorry but why are you running the outs of the CS1x IN to the A3000? Using the yammy as an FX box?

personally Id say get a mixer with an aux buss or some sends, so you can choose whether or not to run the sounds into the A3000.

as for soundcards...dunno about the one you mentioned, but check out RME (not exactly cheap) or a MOTU 2408MKII maybe?

maybe you dont need all those inputs tho?

Message 3/6                 Date: 26-Aug-03  @  03:44 AM   -   RE: Clarification

switchbladesousa

Yes, the A3000 has great effects and I usually don't use many sounds from the cs1x. I've kinda known that a mixer is a good thing to have, but I've always been able to get around it.
If I had a soundcard with multiple inputs, how important would it be to have a mixer, can't you do that via software?

Message 4/6                 Date: 26-Aug-03  @  07:31 PM   -   RE: Clarification

Influx

yeah, basically. just make sure you get an interface with a seperate volume control on it, and a headphone out.

when you said "CS1x IN" you meant midi, didnt you.

Message 5/6                 Date: 26-Aug-03  @  08:59 PM   -   RE: Clarification

switchbladesousa

No, I was not talking about midi at all. I send the stereo outs of the cs1x into the stereo in's of the A3000, occasionally used for effects, but mainly because I don't have a mixer.

Message 6/6                 Date: 27-Aug-03  @  06:45 PM   -   RE: Clarification

Influx

well sheesh, man. get a small mixer! I mean..one just to monitor through!

got a rack? check out the Ashly LX308b. DAMN good mixer, and sometimes less than $200 on ebay.

8 stereo channels. mono out, sub out, seperate main and headphone controls, etc...

good stuff!

Viewing all 6 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

There are 6 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum