0  |  skin: 1 2 3  | Login | Join  | 

Audioindy.com

Mail discussion to a friend Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About 7161 forums Forum home New Topic

Forums   -   Theory / composition / technique

Subject: a moody scale?

Viewing all 10 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

Original Message 1/10                 Date: 31-Jul-03  @  09:45 AM   -   a moody scale?

dilly

Link?:  No link

File?:  No file

is the Bb scale the darkest because it uses the most black keys?

[ back to forum ]               [quote]

Message 2/10                 Date: 31-Jul-03  @  09:52 AM   -   RE: a moody scale?

smudge

Hmm, maybe you need to laern about modes. Here you go:-

LYDIAN - very bright, upbeat. Good for anything very bright and upbeat such as pop, kids music, etc

IONIAN - very sweet, happy, bright. Perfect for happy songs, love songs, etc. Used for almost all childrens music

MIXOLYDIAN - middle of the road bright scale. Good for light rock, pop, country, etc

DORIAN - perfect middle ground. Not too bright, not to dark. Good for country, rock, blues.

AEOLIAN - gritty, bluesy, warm sounding rock scale. This is the standard rock and blues scale.

PHRYGIAN - dark, classical metal sound. A Randy Rhoads favorite.

LOCRIAN - very dark, dissident, brooding. Good for heavy metal, dark classical, etc

Message 3/10                 Date: 31-Jul-03  @  10:30 AM   -   RE: a moody scale?

dilly

thanks smudge. So you think I should use the Locrian scale because it has the darkest sound?

Message 4/10                 Date: 31-Jul-03  @  10:35 AM   -   RE: a moody scale?

smudge

Well no cos Locrian is not a scale, its a mode. Locrian does have the darkest sound of all the modes but not really used as a tonal centre but more of a short passing scale. I wouldn't recommend it for a newbie to worry about. I would say not to use Phrygian either, yea it has a dark sound but sounds a bit Spanish but its all personal taste innit.

I would point towards the Aeolin mode because it has a serious sad sound. The scale is 1,2,b3,4,5,b6,b7. So pick a key and apply this scale and you should be happy. I hope.

Message 5/10                 Date: 31-Jul-03  @  10:53 AM   -   RE: a moody scale?

dilly

what key do you think is good and how does it relate to a mode? Nice one smudge.

Message 6/10                 Date: 31-Jul-03  @  10:56 AM   -   RE: a moody scale?

smudge

look at the above keyboard. I have picked the key of A. In Aeolin mode, the key of A uses all the white notes going from A to A. There are seven notes in the scale and these correspond to the ticks (on the keyboard) above. Does that make more sense now?

Message 7/10                 Date: 31-Jul-03  @  11:15 AM   -   RE: a moody scale?

dilly

where is the keyboard?

Message 8/10                 Date: 31-Jul-03  @  02:41 PM   -   RE: a moody scale?

d

don't worry about the keyboard that isn't there. play all the white keys, go from A to A. It's also called A minor. smudge, you sure he shouldn't play in D minor? it's the saddest key, y'know.

Message 9/10                 Date: 31-Jul-03  @  05:03 PM   -   RE: a moody scale?

Bedwyr

Link?: Link

hehe.

i can't be bothered to look up what name it is, but the mode where you start on e and go up all the white keys is so spanish i dunno how you could describe it any other way.

and "darkest" ? that depends on the notes you use, you can have 3 notes and have the classic dark dance riff straight away

- c c c c# Bb

and repeat. darkness for me comes from dissonance, like chromatic (playing all the notes (simple explanation)) or anything diminished or maybe even a "whole tone" abstract dark style .. (look them up) but minor is a good place to start. dark = sad maybe is a broad generalisation but i think it works usually.

as to Bb being more "dark" coz it uses more black keys well that's a whole other discussion, certainly some composers have and still do classify keys by their "tonal character" e-major being a "bright" key and suchlike but i've not enough knowledge to say any more about that. i think the idea was quite a popular idea in the 19th century amongst european composers, but don't quote me on that.

there's certainly a lot of information on this on the internet so you can do some searching for yourself. only thing i can say is don't get too hooked up on what key, get making good tunes. ;)

Message 10/10                 Date: 01-Aug-03  @  06:16 AM   -   RE: a moody scale?

psylichon

Link?: Link

Peep this thread so I don't have to type that stuff out again  

Viewing all 10 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

There are 10 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum