0  |  skin: 1 2 3  | Login | Join  | 

Audioindy.com

Mail discussion to a friend Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About 7161 forums Forum home New Topic

Forums   -   Synths & synthesis

Subject: favorite 303 sound on virus

Viewing all 11 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1 2

Original Message 1/11                 Date: 29-Apr-03  @  08:44 PM   -   favorite 303 sound on virus

acidhead

Link?:  No link

File?:  No file

there's gotta be somethin' close to the classic tb303 sound in the virus b right? what are you using to get there? is there a pre-set that's a good place to start? i can't seem to nail this one like i want. the nasalbass sounds a little too rugged. what do you think?

[ back to forum ]               [quote]

Message 2/11                 Date: 29-Apr-03  @  09:54 PM   -   RE: favorite 303 sound on virus

99devils

Link?: Link

A 303 has:

1 osc
an 18db filter
AD filter envelope

so to do a 303 on the virus:

use a single oscillator, either saw or square (crank the osc balance all the way to OSC 1 and don't use a sub-osc)

select serial 6 pole filter mode, and crank the filter balance all the way to filter 1
use filter saturation, I normall use medium or hard for 303 type sounds.

throw the sustain on the filter enevlope to 0. Use a short attack , and decay to taste.

A big part of the 303 sound is the accent and slide. I usually do this with velocity mapped to filter env amount, or filter 1 cutoff in the mod matrix, then while sequencing use like 32 for non-accented velocity values and 127 for accented. You can vary all this to taste. Slide is done with portamento. So a big part of copping the 303 is in the sequencing, not necessarily in the sound programming.

BTW - I have a Virus A, so some of the parameters may appear a little different on your machine.

-Craig

Message 3/11                 Date: 29-Apr-03  @  10:03 PM   -   RE: favorite 303 sound on virus

acidhead

cool, thanks for the recipe, i'll try it when i get home.

Message 4/11                 Date: 04-May-03  @  12:36 AM   -   RE: favorite 303 sound on virus

horizens

File?:  [image]

[image file]

nice one, craig. that's a good patch to have.

Message 5/11                 Date: 04-May-03  @  11:59 AM     Edit: 04-May-03  |  11:59 AM   -   RE: favorite 303 sound on virus

R.A.T.

Go to the Access site. They have a free downloadable book on synth programming which goes into 303 noises in some detail.

Its called Programming Analog Synths

Message 6/11                 Date: 05-May-03  @  07:46 PM   -   RE: favorite 303 sound on virus

acidhead

thanks. i haven't been able to nail it yet. i tried the above tweaks, but it didn't sound like what i wanted. oh well, i'll keep tryin'.

Message 7/11                 Date: 06-May-03  @  03:14 PM   -   RE: favorite 303 sound on virus

99devils

Virus does really good overdriven squawks, but I don't think it does all that great a job on the cleaner, square wave stuff.

Anyways.. Get a FR-777 and be happy if you're a 303 nut  

-Craig

Message 8/11                 Date: 06-May-03  @  06:35 PM   -   RE: favorite 303 sound on virus

Maarten

or get a TB-303 and be an even happier nut  

Message 9/11                 Date: 04-Jun-03  @  02:24 AM   -   RE: favorite 303 sound on virus

man called clay

maarten...are you a happy nut?
i mean....you SEEM like a happy nut!!!!!
so i had to ask.

Message 10/11                 Date: 04-Jun-03  @  09:49 AM   -   RE: favorite 303 sound on virus

Maarten

yes I'm a happy nut, I'm just balancing it out with angry music  

Message 11/11                 Date: 04-Jun-03  @  03:00 PM   -   RE: favorite 303 sound on virus

man called clay

oh yeah....it's okay to have a balance.
perhaps even necessary!?!?!

Viewing all 11 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1 2

There are 11 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum