0  |  skin: 1 2 3  | Login | Join  | 

Audioindy.com

Mail discussion to a friend Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About 7161 forums Forum home New Topic

Forums   -   Mixing & FX

Subject: just jammin away and found this...

Viewing all 3 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

Original Message 1/3                 Date: 31-Mar-03  @  03:23 PM     Edit: 31-Mar-03  |  04:38 PM   -   just jammin away and found this...

Steve Roughley

Link?:  No link

File?:  No file

I was having a mess about in my studio and found the coolest compression trick for your open hihat. I've heard it done loads of times in various tracks (lots of Timo Maas tracks use this) but hadn't even thought about how it was achieved till now. Anywho, here's what ya do:

Get your drums going with the open hat running on the off beat as ususal and leave the hat open for about an 8th note.

Then put the open hat on its own channel and send it to a compressor.

Create a new sound (I find bass works best here) that is just less than a 16th note in length (fully sustained, no release). Make it as loud as the hat and put it on its own channel on the off-beat in time with the hat.

Now feed the 16th note sound into the hihat's compressor's sidechain and whack the hell out of the hat. You can easily knock the 16th note sound out of the mix while keeping it feeding the sidechain if you don't want to hear it being played.

You can use this to create a really neat sucking effect with your hat. And If you place a well-chosen shaker on the 16th after the hat, you can get it to sound as if the hat is morphing into the shaker or something (very Timo Maas) which can really help get a nice groove in the drums. It works an absolute treat!

Regards.

Steve.

[ back to forum ]               [quote]

Message 2/3                 Date: 01-Apr-03  @  03:43 AM   -   RE: just jammin away and found this...

BJT

Cool!

Message 3/3                 Date: 01-Apr-03  @  05:33 PM   -   RE: just jammin away and found this...

k

nice one - claps benefit from such fiddlings too

Viewing all 3 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

There are 3 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum