0  |  skin: 1 2 3  | Login | Join  | 

Audioindy.com

Mail discussion to a friend Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About 7161 forums Forum home New Topic

Forums   -   Guitars & amps

Subject: Recording guitar

Viewing all 8 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

Original Message 1/8                 Date: 07-Jan-03  @  10:03 AM   -   Recording guitar

IntoxicatingSounds

Link?: Link

File?:  No file

I'm thinking about getting an amp sim/effects box for recording guitar. Line 6 pod, Behringer V-amp, that sort of thing. Anyone got any experience of these and like to make any recommendations? I've had a look at the reviews on Harmony Central and they seem to fall into two opposing camps ie they are brilliant/ they are completely useless. So that's not much help.

Deano

[ back to forum ]               [quote]

Message 2/8                 Date: 07-Jan-03  @  12:58 PM   -   RE: Recording guitar

k

Link?:  Link

to be honest I use my old marshall mic'd up - even at low volume the results come out good once you add some compression, stereo spreader and other stuff. I can get a clkean sound or a full on power distortion anything from a sort of sabbath grind to a clash/pistols overdrive sound. Of course your amp/combo needs to be able to offer distortion/overdrive at low master volume out so the nieghbours don't lynch you!  

I had an idea for a script once. It's basically Jaws except when the guys in the boat are going after Jaws, they look around and there's an even bigger Jaws. The guys have to team up with Jaws to get Bigger Jaws.... I call it... Big Jaws!!!

Message 3/8                 Date: 07-Jan-03  @  01:10 PM   -   RE: Recording guitar

Deano

Link?:  No link

Ah, a valve purist! The thing is I haven't played electric guitar for years so I don't have a nice old valve amp and I don't really have the space. Also I need to able to do funk/disco type stuff with effects like chorus and autowah as well as distortion. I'm pretty tempted by the V-amp. Thomann are doing it for just over £100. It's probably worth that just for the effects.

Message 4/8                 Date: 08-Jan-03  @  03:27 PM   -   RE: Recording guitar

Anex

Not sure about the V-amp but used the old pod (not the new Xwhateverit'scalled thing). It was ok, bit fiddley sometimes and really didn't give the edit levels I was expecting. I think alot of synth users find that, moving from PC edits etc. to pedals, where the whole delay circuit is controlled by three knobs with little/no external sync. I prefer using my marshall/big muff pi, then do any effecting in the PC.

Message 5/8                 Date: 08-Jan-03  @  03:59 PM   -   RE: Recording guitar

nomad

Link?: Link

there's plenty of rack gear for recording that has tubes in it... i like my H&K blues master for instance (though i'm not a very good guitar player)... there are lots of these types. POD will probably work OK, but i tried it once and it didn't feel right, not enough dynamics or something. might have been how it was set it, i just plugged in on a friend's guitar.

the different reviews could be just differences in tone preferences, or for real tube gear, different tubes (i always replace tubes in my tube gear with either JJ/Tesla or Ei for guitar stuff, and sovtek 12ax7LPS for pro-audio stuff like my pro vla) can make a huge difference in the sound (i couldn't believe when i swapped out the cheap and apparently-well-used H&K-branded tubes with the JJs... amazing difference). so if you play one with bad tubes, you'll get a bad impression (it can make a good unit sound BAD!).

also there's the impression factor... even a POD sounds a heck of a lot better than a cheap solid state practice amp...

i haven't tried this one personally, but a confessed tone-freak friend (though i wasn't sure about his choices all the time!) passed on the POD for a rocktron voodu valve, said it sounded better. also heard recommendations for the rocktron piranha, and i like most of the 1/2 rack H&K boxes (the tubeman too, though it's not quite as nice as the 1/2 racks). they might not be quite as nice as an amp, but they're easier to record, and they take up a lot less room  

maybe someone else has some other ideas?

Message 6/8                 Date: 16-Jan-03  @  01:10 PM   -   RE: Recording guitar

Deano

Thanks for the advice. Which I have completely ignored and will probably regret   I went for the V-amp, mainly because it seems like it will be pretty versatile and give me lots of different sounds in one box. And it's cheap. I know there is no substitute for a real valve amp but for my needs digital simulation is probably good enough. When I've had a play with it I'll let you know what I think.
I ordered it from Thomann through the DT store. Very easy ordering, good price and it was delivered in about a week.

Message 7/8                 Date: 16-Jan-03  @  03:56 PM   -   RE: Recording guitar

Anex

Well like Nomad said, loads of rack tooob stuff, check ebay , theres usually some tube pre amps on there for around £100 which shud work nicely with the V-amp thing and give you that genuine kick ass thick marshall tone.

Message 8/8                 Date: 20-Mar-03  @  05:06 AM   -   RE: Recording guitar

Jack

Wait! One more from the valve purist camp! Carvin
makes a 16 watt tube amp for $350. The low wattage
means giant breakup at a relatively low volume. I
played one not long ago and it sounded like a tube
amp! - great in other words. Get some stomp boxes,
throw an SM 57 in front of it and you're well on
your way. Modellers are cool, but moving air is
where i

Viewing all 8 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

There are 8 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum