0  |  skin: 1 2 3  | Login | Join  | 

Audioindy.com

Mail discussion to a friend Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About 7161 forums Forum home New Topic

Forums   -   Samplers & sampling

Subject: all about scsi

Viewing all 11 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1 2

Original Message 1/11                 Date: 21-Nov-02  @  05:23 AM   -   all about scsi

switchbladesousa

Link?:  No link

File?:  No file

Hello. I am embarking on a quest to link my A3000 to my PC and have some elementary SCSI questions.
First, Does the hard drive in my PC have to be a SCSI hard drive? Second, How important is the transfer rate, would 10mb/sec be groovy?(I found no evidence in the A3000 manual of what it was capable of) Finally, my A3000 has an internal hard drive; How do I make it self-terminating?
Thanks

[ back to forum ]               [quote]

Message 2/11                 Date: 21-Nov-02  @  08:50 AM   -   RE: all about scsi

psylichon

Link?: Link

1. if you want to access a drive in your computer, the drive will have to be a SCSI drive. You will not be able to access any IDE devices, including CD-ROMs

2. from what I've heard, the A3000 is slow with SCSI, so there's no point in paying the moolah for an ultra wide whatever because the yammie won't use the extra bandwidth.

3. Not really sure. There are probably jumpers on the drive itself. Older SCSI drives usually had 3 long jumpers near the cable connector that terminated the drive. Don't know about newer drives though. check yammie's website (hahaha... it sucks)

Hope this helped.

psy

Message 3/11                 Date: 21-Nov-02  @  10:23 AM   -   RE: all about scsi

influx

Link?:  Link

"Finally, my A3000 has an internal hard drive; How do I make it self-terminating?"

probably already is. read about it in the manual. if it isnt, theres probably a software setting for it in the sampler's OS

Message 4/11                 Date: 21-Nov-02  @  07:57 PM   -   RE: all about scsi

99devils

If it isn't terminated, your sampler's probably hanginhg, crashing, or coughing up a lung when you try to access the disk.

To clarify #1, no you don't have to have a SCSI hard disk in your PC, you can stick with what you have. If you DID have a SCSI hard disk in your PC, then theoretically the Yamaha would be able to access it (and the PC could access the Yamaha's). You should be very careful when doing this. If both the PC and the sampler try accessing the disk at the same time, you could experience anything from slow response to complete and total data loss or corruption.

-Craig

Message 5/11                 Date: 22-Nov-02  @  04:16 AM   -   RE: all about scsi

switchbladesousa

Maybe I Should clarify my purpose here: I want to be able to edit samples on my PC, and, instead of having to transfer samples on a floppy disk, just shoot them straight to the A3000 via scsi (and vice versa). IS this possible with a IDE hard drive in my PC?
Thanks
Jon

Message 6/11                 Date: 22-Nov-02  @  04:41 AM   -   RE: all about scsi

influx

sample transfer doesnt require a hard drive in the PC

it is done from RAM. you load your bank up, edit the sounds and send em back to the sampler. storage is done in the sampler

if you wanted a hard drive IN your PC case to store samples it would have to be SCSI.

but youre much better off with using the yammy internal HD...

so no...you dont need a hard drive to edit samples..

Message 7/11                 Date: 22-Nov-02  @  11:05 PM   -   RE: all about scsi

switchbladesousa

Ah, thank you.
All has now become clear.
For the moment.
Jon

Message 8/11                 Date: 25-Nov-02  @  06:28 PM   -   RE: all about scsi

errata

The internal HD should be terminated. There is a switch inside the sampler next to the HD mount, the Manual explains it very nicely.

If you have a SCSI card you're ready to go. Use yamaha's Tiny Wave Editor or Sound Forge etc, to shuffle samples back and forth... remember to turn the write protect "off" on the sampler or other devices won't work with it.

e

Message 9/11                 Date: 26-Nov-02  @  02:50 AM   -   RE: all about scsi

k

"sample transfer doesnt require a hard drive in the PC

it is done from RAM. you load your bank up, edit the sounds and send em back to the sampler. storage is done in the sampler

if you wanted a hard drive IN your PC case to store samples it would have to be SCSI. "

r u sure?... surely you'd load it to the s/w for editing and then just transfer it and store it on the yammy internal drive - why would it matter if the pc drive it was stored on was scsi?

I had an idea for a script once. It's basically Jaws except when the guys in the boat are going after Jaws, they look around and there's an even bigger Jaws. The guys have to team up with Jaws to get Bigger Jaws.... I call it... Big Jaws!!!

Message 10/11                 Date: 26-Nov-02  @  04:16 AM   -   RE: all about scsi

influx

"r u sure?... surely you'd load it to the s/w for editing and then just transfer it and store it on the yammy internal drive - why would it matter if the pc drive it was stored on was scsi?"

I was thinking if you wanted to save FROM the sampler...in the sampler's format...

but....yeah, youre right! If you are using an editor, then the smaples are just .wav or .aiff and can be stored ANYWHERE

but for banks, programs, whatever...thats a different story and the drive would have to be in the sampler's format, AND scsi if it were going to be in the PC case.

Message 11/11                 Date: 26-Nov-02  @  04:46 PM   -   RE: all about scsi

k

yup - gotcha  

I had an idea for a script once. It's basically Jaws except when the guys in the boat are going after Jaws, they look around and there's an even bigger Jaws. The guys have to team up with Jaws to get Bigger Jaws.... I call it... Big Jaws!!!

Viewing all 11 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1 2

There are 11 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum