0  |  skin: 1 2 3  | Login | Join  | 

Audioindy.com

Mail discussion to a friend Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About 7161 forums Forum home New Topic

Forums   -   Synths & synthesis

Subject: Another damn sound?

Viewing all 14 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1 2

Original Message 1/14                 Date: 30-Sep-02  @  05:47 PM   -   Another damn sound?

psylichon

Link?: Link

File?:  File

Spawn.mp3

YES, another damn sound!

This one's been haunting me forever. I've heard leads close to this on a Nord, but I can't coax my silky Nova to do this... or can I? What modulations is he doing on this sound to get those harmonics? And how the hell does he get it so gritty?

This is Simon Posford (Hallucinogen)... track's called Spawn. Enjoy and good luck! If you get this lead spot on I will kill you for your skill.

psylichon

[ back to forum ]               [quote]

Message 2/14                 Date: 30-Sep-02  @  05:56 PM   -   RE: Another damn sound?

milan

File?:  No file

give us hifi versions please (128kbs) if we are to know how it _really_ sounds!

cheers, m.

Message 3/14                 Date: 30-Sep-02  @  05:58 PM   -   RE: Another damn sound?

psylichon

again, the difference between 64k and 128k is negligible... trust me.

psylichon

Message 4/14                 Date: 30-Sep-02  @  06:31 PM   -   RE: Another damn sound?

99devils

I'd say it's probably Virus. Sounds like the filters and FM from the Virus to me.

-Craig

Message 5/14                 Date: 30-Sep-02  @  06:55 PM   -   RE: Another damn sound?

milan

damn! i bet 99 is right, it really does sound like fm. iŽll give it a shot later on to see what i can come up with.

Message 6/14                 Date: 30-Sep-02  @  07:01 PM   -   RE: Another damn sound?

psylichon

This track was released in 1998. How old is the Virus?

psylichon

Message 7/14                 Date: 30-Sep-02  @  08:12 PM   -   RE: Another damn sound?

99devils

I bought mine in October of '99 and the B's had just been released. So I'd say it's a definite possibility.

-Craig

Message 8/14                 Date: 30-Sep-02  @  10:33 PM   -   RE: Another damn sound?

errata

Link?:  No link

Simon Posford uses a lot of real analogs.

It does sound FM though. And if it's analogs he's doing very creative things with the sync times! You can get the effect by assigning FAST lfo's to the sync time of the oscillators, so that they drift in an out of time very quickly... this gives you the seperation. But I'll bet he's using FM, like a dx7 even, through chorus or a very tight flange...

I'll go home and try it on the Waldorf tonight... It has very nice FM modeling...

e

Message 9/14                 Date: 30-Sep-02  @  11:58 PM   -   RE: Another damn sound?

milan

hmm... but you can hear obvious filter tweaking in that file. fm7 mebbe?   just kidding... i kinda think it sounds like filter fm on top of something vaguely 303-ish sound. i tried emulating it on my uQ and have gotten something a little bit like it, but not very close either.

Message 10/14                 Date: 01-Oct-02  @  12:10 AM   -   RE: Another damn sound?

psylichon

it really sounds like oscillator sync to me. Very well timed to hit just the right harmonics?

It's the front end of the sound that gets me. It's so gritty. I know it has a lot to do with the filter... at least I'd like to think that because I've been trying forever to get that grit. Parallel BPFs with varying width is about as close as I can get to that sound. Such a hard filter. What do you think it is?

psylichon

Message 11/14                 Date: 01-Oct-02  @  02:30 PM   -   RE: Another damn sound?

99devils

Such a hard filter...

That's why I think it's Virus. Plus the character of the FM just screams Virus to me.

Unfortunately, my Virus is at the practice space or I'd have a go at it.

-Craig

Message 12/14                 Date: 01-Oct-02  @  03:35 PM   -   RE: Another damn sound?

psylichon

http://www.shpongle.com/hallucinogen/sound-technical.htm

Don't see a Virus listed. Of course, this track was done as a collaboration so anything goes. I just have a feeling he used something truly analog to get that front end. What filters are the Virus modeled after? I think the Nova's are modeled after some EMS thinger (Synthi? OSCar?)

psylichon

Message 13/14                 Date: 25-Aug-03  @  09:56 PM   -   RE: Another damn sound?

insane

Link?:  No link

ARP 2600

Message 14/14                 Date: 26-Aug-03  @  06:27 AM   -   RE: Another damn sound?

psylichon

whoa flashback! I was just listening to that track the other day, thinking "god damnit, I still can't get that sound"

fortunately i'm not doing much goa lately, so it's all good.

Viewing all 14 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1 2

There are 14 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum