0  |  skin: 1 2 3  | Login | Join  | 

Audioindy.com

Mail discussion to a friend Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About 7161 forums Forum home New Topic

Forums   -   Samplers & sampling

Subject: can't decide...

Viewing all 56 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1 2 3 4 5 6

Original Message 1/56                 Date: 22-Sep-02  @  06:24 AM   -   can't decide...

psychofreak5000

Link?: Link

File?:  No file

I'm wanting to get into sampling and music production but i don't know what kind of gear I should get. Is the Korg Electribe EM1 good for beginers? Any advice would be great.

[ back to forum ]               [quote]

Message 2/56                 Date: 22-Sep-02  @  12:39 PM   -   RE: can't decide...

k

Link?:  No link

have you got any gear already?.. cos obviously a sampler alone cant do it, even a phrase sampler with a mini sequencer aint really up to it although they are good to jam idea's around etc... you need other stuff too, sequencer etc.... s/w is the easiest route if you already have a 'puter to use...

Message 3/56                 Date: 22-Sep-02  @  04:00 PM   -   RE: can't decide...

psychofreak5000

so what all do i need to get started?

Message 4/56                 Date: 22-Sep-02  @  05:47 PM   -   RE: can't decide...

k

well you can s/w in the pc/mac or hardware - depends if you have ambitions to play live, versus the ease of gettinga glossier production in-pc/mac... it's a tough one to decide...

you could start with/use a s/w like Orion (normal, pro or platignum) or Reason,... both come with synths & a sampler and sampling drumbox everything you need to get going.

Orions allows adding more VSTi's... reason does not. But then reason will integrate into most of the major s/w sequencer like logic, sonar & vst/sx

mebbe start with a s/w like reason or orion and see how you like it... if you go further and add a decent budget level proper soundcard with decent asio or wdm drivers, then you can play those s/w synths & sampler live from a midi master keyboard.

Message 5/56                 Date: 22-Sep-02  @  09:14 PM   -   RE: can't decide...

psychofreak5000

sorry, i'm a little confused about all the terminology you just used. but, you're saying i should start out with a computer program and then just get the hardware to plug a midi keyboard into the computer to play live? and what kind of music could i make with this? trance, drum n' bass, house, etc...

Message 6/56                 Date: 22-Sep-02  @  09:34 PM   -   RE: can't decide...

influx

Link?:  Link

Id say forget the live thing for now. Just concentrate on learning to get some sounds together for now

one sampler, one synth, a sequencer. can be soft or hard...doesnt matter

soft is gonna be cheaper and more convenient if you have a good machine...hard is more hands on and intuitive for the most part

Message 7/56                 Date: 22-Sep-02  @  09:39 PM   -   RE: can't decide...

psychofreak5000

so should I get the Reason or Orion thing that k was talking about? and if its best to use a computer then what about groove boxes and stuff?

Message 8/56                 Date: 22-Sep-02  @  09:44 PM   -   RE: can't decide...

bedwyr

ouch, it's tough really.

people, i dunno, but what's a good box to get that can do lots from the word go, but could work with a better system (hard/soft sequencer + extras) at a later date?

Message 9/56                 Date: 22-Sep-02  @  09:45 PM   -   RE: can't decide...

k

yup anything if you know the techniques/composition... meaning if you can translate what you hear into your own music... ok... a pc or mac can run a sequencer which is used to 'record' MIDI data... midi data represents things like played notes, which note, when it is pressed down, how long it is held down for etc etc... it's the data of the song music... NOT the sounds.

That midi data can trigger ANY midi device making it play the midi note data...

midi receiving/sound-generating devices can be hardware (outside the pc/mac in their own case & with their own power supply).... or midi receiving/sound-generating devices can be in s/w playing their sounds out from the soundcard...

midi receiving/sound-generating devices can be samplers, drumboxes, grooveboxes, synths, etc etc... some of them also can send out their own midi data which might for example represent the movement of a synth pararmeter which changes the sound in realtime....

ok.... so you therefore create songs by writing/recording notes as midi data which is used to trigger sound-making devices in hardware or s/w form...

so you need a sequencer - a sequencer records, stores and playsback the midi data.... then you need the sound-making devices....

now we arive at my previous post - the descision wether to get hardware gear, actual units... like say a sampler and a synth and a sequencer... then a mixer to blend all those sounds... some basic fx to add delays & reverb - and that's IT!!

a setup like that is VERY effective and you can play live with it!

or do it all in software - use a software sequencer and software sound-generating devices/instruments -

and there you can use reason, Orion, Fruity Loops etc (self contained all-in-one packages which do it all & in some cases can expand)

or you get an 'open' sequencer and buy software synths/sampler/drums etc and use that to make a all-in-one system. This is the more expensive sequencers with greater facilities (in some cases), they all also have audio tracks which can be EVERY effective for dance of course.... But they dont come with much more than a basic freebie amount of sound-making software synths or drums etc.... so if you went for a main sequencer in s/w, like cakewalk, steinberg, emagic etc, then you'll also need s/w instruments to use with it....

now in the case of s/w instruments... IF you want to play your master keyboard, and actualy PLAY those s/q synths in realtime (so that when you hit the keys it sounds via your pc soundcard), then you need a low-latency card

Lowlatency cards process the audio fast enuff so s/w instruments can be played in realtime (with a fast enuff PC/mac that is)

ok so bare in mind that special soundcard needs to be added to the price (stating at around 160-70 for a starter card of any quality (purpose designed)

with the hardware setup... synth, sampler, mixer, fx units etc you dont need that special soundcard - you can of course still record things into your pc and mess with the audio in the pc and then reload it into the sampler if you go for an all hardware system.

there is a 3rd scenario

a pc/mac running a software sequencer... but with all outboard harware sound generating devices,,,,, so that'd be the middle hybrid between the two of 'all hardware' & 'all software'

make any sense?

Message 10/56                 Date: 22-Sep-02  @  09:58 PM   -   RE: can't decide...

psychofreak5000

So, if I go with a hardware setup(actual units like you said)will I have more versatilty than if I go with the all-in-one software? And if I go with a hardware setup will I still be able to expand it easier than with a software setup? How much would it cost to get a good hardware setup?

Message 11/56                 Date: 23-Sep-02  @  02:03 AM   -   RE: can't decide...

psylichon

Let's not forget the mighty Korg Triton, under $2000.

If you're talking about an all-in-one box (though admittedly not geared towards trance/dnb/house electronica etc.) it's got THE BEST PRESETS on the market for everything else. If you're doing hiphop, it's perfect. But few people stretch the limits of that machine... it has excellent programmability.

Just wanted to throw that one out there. I dont' see many people recommending it, but it's a proven workhorse. But I'd still recommend software (you'll find you learn a lot more about production in general with s/w). But if you do decide to go h/w, you owe it to yourself to sit down for an hour with a Triton and see if its sound is for you. Good luck....

psylichon

Message 12/56                 Date: 23-Sep-02  @  02:19 AM   -   RE: can't decide...

psychofreak5000

$2000 is little bit too much for me. Anything cheaper that's a good all-in-one box? And I've used software samplers but I want something more hands-on.

Message 13/56                 Date: 23-Sep-02  @  05:50 AM   -   RE: can't decide...

Scott Digweed

Hi Psycho,

When I first started off, I had a cheesy Yamaha PSR-550M keyboard, that had instrument samples and a built-in sequencer. It was very convenient to write basic electronic music on. After a year or so, I wanted more power. That's when I started buying hardware synthesizers, samplers, etc, and using Cakewalk on my PC.

Translation: I think you'd be best off keeping it simple at first (one box or program at a time), getting your feet wet, then expanding when you need better sounds and power, and you're sure you want to go further with electronic music.

You specifically said you wanted to get into sampling, but you did not mention whether you have any experience with playing the piano or writing music.

If you have no such experience, my advise would be to go the route I did, and get a keyboard with built-in sounds and sequencer to start off. One option is the Roland XP-50 or XP-60 keyboards, which have built-in sounds and a sequencer. Then you could add a used Akai S-2000 or S-3000 to get into sampling.

The alternative, *if* you have a fast PC, is to connect a USB keyboard to your PC and use a software program like Rebirth or Reason. The advantage here is that you will have pro-caliber sounds for less money. But, there is a learning curve and the ever-present possibility of running into PC audio problems, which are a pain in the arse to solve. It helps to have a computer dedicated to just music, also.

That's just my $0.02.

Best of Luck,

Scott

Message 14/56                 Date: 23-Sep-02  @  08:16 AM   -   RE: can't decide...

k

ok two basic setups.

HARWARE
alesis mmt-8, cheap s/h mixer, cheap s/h delay X 2, cheap s/h multifx unit such as Zoom, a sampler and a synth such as a virus, nova, waldorf etc etc, plsu a keyboard, some midi leads & a cheap midi distribution box... that'll allow you to make tunes & play live - you can record the mixes into your pc and do whatever with them like burn to Cd etc.

SOFTWARE
a pc/mac running vst or logic or Sonar and a few VSTi freebie synths plus one main s/w synth like FM7 or something, and a s/w sampler such as exs24 or Halion or Kontakt etc... (there are freeware and cheapware s/w sampler too of course) - a special fast driver soundcard and a master keyboard and a few midi leads

Message 15/56                 Date: 23-Sep-02  @  08:24 AM   -   RE: can't decide...

k

well it's hard to say, but in many ways the s/w is more versatile in that there's alot you can do with the combination of h/disk audio and midi all in one plus the ability to use s/w fx which are so plentiful... but that's not everything, it's less reliable mebbe than hardware.... it's a hard descision, but whatever you decide (hardware or s/w) a sampler, sequencer and one decent multi-mode synth is enuff to get you plenty of options and a great sound with a mixer & some fx.

One thing is that your hardware stuff can always integrate into a s/w setup in the future because with these fast soundcards i mentioned now you can route your outboard sampler or synth into your onboard software mixer and add fx etc and mix it in with any s/w synths & audio tracks.

why dontcha d/load a demo of Orion and try that too... and mebbe try Reason... VST & Reason combined in one with Rewire is also a great starter system, very versatile.

Message 16/56                 Date: 23-Sep-02  @  08:51 AM   -   RE: can't decide...

influx

"One thing is that your hardware stuff can always integrate into a s/w setup in the future because with these fast soundcards i mentioned now you can route your outboard sampler or synth into your onboard software mixer and add fx etc and mix it in with any s/w synths & audio tracks. "

only thing is there you need a multi in card...

honestly...the power of a good soft setup cant really be rivaled at ALL...not cost effectively.

another thing...Im thinkin...I really dont think a sampler is so necessary in a soft setup, because in a program like Cubase SX or Sonar with in-place processing...you just drop your sounds into the arrange page and if you want to tweak em you just do it...no need for midi triggering really?

anyway...the one thing was...Id say hold off on the live idea for now..just because you otta focus on learning to put ideas together, engineer/mix, etc...before you are gonna have the material to 'play live'

BUT...if youre fully determined to do gigs, and you are the type that actually WILL do it, then its probably a good idea to have a mainly hardware based setup (but dont overlook the power of softsynths etc for sound generation/processing)

cool thing is...a program like wavelab...get it SCSI'd up to your PC, and you can bounce sounds back and forth...sample in your sampler, and then send it over to an editor (wavelab, soundforge, cool edit, wavesurgeon) tweak it..make who knows 10 different versions, then send em all back over to your sampler..>VOILA...ten new sounds to put in your arrangement

ME personally..I like looking at the screen...seeing a graphic display of the song structure, part placement, and note placement within those parts.

but theres also something to be said for the relative simplicity of a hardware sequencer...

tell you what...you really need to read the info that K has thrown together in the tech pages...

there is really no 'best' or 'right' way...and odds are youre gonna start with one thing and end up with another...its just the evolution of it all...

Ive been at this for about 5-6 years now and my setup has changed MANY times...

so...really..just dive right in...if you have some cash, do some research, and just try not to spend too much so you dont get stuck with anything

hardware is CHEAP right now, too...

Message 17/56                 Date: 23-Sep-02  @  10:11 AM   -   RE: can't decide...

k

he's right... s/w is so much cheaper and it's all inhouse, i still think a sampler is good for triggering sound, playing patches of sounds from strings to pizz and drums etc, but yes the audio tracks/functions in the main s/w sequencers now makes them excellent for audio working especialy for mebbe drum& bass etc doing custom beats, creating audio parts of those beats, doing cut-up's with those original audio parts etc etc... plus vocals of course if you decide to get into funky diva house or trance etc... there's a hell of a lot you can do in s/w that comes free with the sequencer but which would cost more in hardware, even simple things such as filtering loops or even filtering the whole damned track etc... in s/w the filters are all included and there's tons of freeware ones, and you can record and control those filtermoves and fine-tweak them on the tracks etc, but in hardware you'd need to buy a hardware equaliser, and then contrlling it in realtime would need a midi controlled filter otherwise it'd be live hands-on mixing etc... s/w is good!!

I had an idea for a script once. It's basically Jaws except when the guys in the boat are going after Jaws, they look around and there's an even bigger Jaws. The guys have to team up with Jaws to get Bigger Jaws.... I call it... Big Jaws!!!

Message 18/56                 Date: 23-Sep-02  @  05:51 PM   -   RE: can't decide...

errata

Here's a different perspective, hehehe

I do almost all my work in hardware. This is because I've always had a focus on live music. I used to do sequencing with CW and then load my sequences into a HW sequencer. Now I just use HW.

My advice, spend time with other muso's. watch what they do, their various combinations and styles. And see which appeals... truth is your personality may decide the method, you just need to see various methods.

If you're just getting started and you do not have a big budget: Go SW, but get a HW sampler and an MMT8 for live preformance. A3Kv2 and an MMT8 will cost less than $800 (that's a high estimate)... then make music in SW on the PC and sample your loops for the show. If shows keep coming and you get more into live performance, you can think about the larger more comprehensive live rig!

e

Message 19/56                 Date: 23-Sep-02  @  07:29 PM   -   RE: can't decide...

Scott Digweed

Just a second there.

I understand where you're coming from e, this would be great for someone with experience of some sort.

But I don't agree with a complete newb getting a hardware sampler (especially the A3000...) right away. As a matter of fact, I strongly disagree.

Here's the reason why. I have a friend who asked me the a similar question two years ago: "I want to get into making industrial music, so I want a professional sampler to write some tracks".

Another stipulation: his computer was too old and too slow to run any software synths or samplers. Plus he is not good with computers, so upgrading was out of the question. And yet another requirement: it had to be cheap, about $600 or so.

So my challenge was to figure out which hardware box out there had everything built in that he needed to write tracks.

What it came down to was a used Ensoniq ASR-X. He had even seen one of his favorite bands using the X, so he was extremely biased towards it.

So he bought a used X, and I showed him the how to use it.

But it turns out the sampling was too much work for him, and he got tired of the small assortment of preset sounds.

He ran out of money and wasn't able or willing to upgrade it with a Hard Drive or get a Zip drive. So he couldn't save any samples. He no longer uses his X. His industrial music aspirations pretty much died. And I feel very guilty for not pushing him towards a keyboard with more built in sounds and keys...

To this day, he still laments over not getting the Triton, of which he loved the presets. But it was too much money, and still is.

So my advise still stands. A solid keyboard with a variety of bread & butter sounds built-in with a splash of modern electronic synth sounds, and a sequencer built-in. Expandibility, the ability to be used in a larger rig, with a computer, or live... a quality keyboard like the XP-50 or XP-60 is a GREAT way to start...

That's what I would tell my friend if I had a chance to answer the question all over again.

Here a few other keyboard options in the same vein with built-in sequencers:

Roland XP-50 <--- older
Roland XP-60 <--- newer with Techno expansion
Roland JX-305 <--- MC-505 with real keys
Roland DJ70-MKII
Korg Trinity
Korg Triton LE <--- top recommendation
Yamaha DJXII
Yamaha EX-5 or EX-7
Yamaha Motif
Quasimidi Sirius or Raven
Ensoniq ASR-10

Hope this helps. Let me know if I can be of further assistance. Please no viruses, people. :-)

Scott

synthysyzor@adelphia.net

Message 20/56                 Date: 23-Sep-02  @  07:33 PM   -   RE: can't decide...

Scott Digweed

umm, wut happened to the formatting there... (?)

you can still read the keyboards I listed. if not let me know, I'll email ya the info.

Scott

Message 21/56                 Date: 23-Sep-02  @  08:23 PM   -   RE: can't decide...

influx

"He ran out of money and wasn't able or willing to upgrade it with a Hard Drive or get a Zip drive. So he couldn't save any samples. He no longer uses his X. His industrial music aspirations pretty much died. And I feel very guilty for not pushing him towards a keyboard with more built in sounds and keys...

Im sorry man but it sounds to me like your buddy was just lacking initiative.

hell...a yamaha RS7000 is a solid all in one, too...even the stock sounds are ok!

my advice for a 'live' HW setup? RS7k (sampler, sequencer, some synth sounds) and a VirusKB (fucking $900 now!)

oh...
you know..to the original post...first step? BUDGET

what can you spend?

Message 22/56                 Date: 23-Sep-02  @  10:28 PM   -   RE: can't decide...

psychofreak5000

My budget is under $1200. I'm only 17 and I'm working my arse off to save up some money because I want to get into electronic music. Is it possible to get decent decent gear for under $500? Or will I need to spend at least $800 to get anything worth using?

Message 23/56                 Date: 23-Sep-02  @  10:31 PM   -   RE: can't decide...

psychofreak5000

And how could I find a place that sells decent used equipment?

Message 24/56                 Date: 24-Sep-02  @  02:14 AM   -   RE: can't decide...

Scott Digweed

$800 will get you decent gear if used wisely, i.e. used gear in excellent shape. Here's a site with recent and average used prices:

http://www.sonicstate.com/synth/

For example, Roland JX-305's are $400-$500 used, Roland XP-50's marginally more. Akai S2000's about $450 and S20 (miniature version of S2000) about $200. Quasimidi Sirius and Raven are around $600. Nice boards, FYI.

Scott

Message 25/56                 Date: 24-Sep-02  @  04:06 AM   -   RE: can't decide...

influx

wait..you just said $1200, then $500, then $800 

hmmm...honestly....gosh...I cant do it!

it just starts adding up. I mean...I am one that believes you should PAY for software, so...that adds up too

really otta take a look at reason or orion, and then a VST host for mixing

Message 26/56                 Date: 24-Sep-02  @  04:26 AM   -   RE: can't decide...

psychofreak5000

what I meant with all the numbers is... 1200 is the most I'll spend, 500 would be really nice, but I expect to spend around 800

Message 27/56                 Date: 24-Sep-02  @  06:21 AM   -   RE: can't decide...

damballah

uh, S-2000s closed out at $299 new. why would someone pay $450 s/h, even with memory and and the output/fx expansion board?

Message 28/56                 Date: 24-Sep-02  @  06:34 AM   -   RE: can't decide...

Breakerbox

get an all in box like the rs 7000 if you think you can learn it, they go for 950+ and influx has one for sale i think... but its hard to get into..
you can get an mpc200 xl for same much money, but i wouldnt recommned it cause it doesnt have fx, synths etc. if you have apc you can always get a soft setup too.. or did everyone told you that already?

Message 29/56                 Date: 24-Sep-02  @  06:38 AM   -   RE: can't decide...

psychofreak5000

Why would an all in one box be hard to get into? And yes, everyone has told me about the s/w setup and I have tried it... It's not exactly my cup of tea... I want something a little more hands on.

Message 30/56                 Date: 24-Sep-02  @  07:45 AM   -   RE: can't decide...

influx

you know what? the yamaha RS7000 is DOPE. Synths are good enough, plenty of VERY good drums, and a mid-featured sampler built in

and if you go to www.harmonycentral.com under the classifieds theres a guy selling one for $800

go to www.yamaha.com and have a look for specs and features

the RS7000 is a synth, sampler, and sequencer all rolled up into one. It is pretty powerful and therefore a bit complicated, but..if you wrote all your stuff with IT for now..you could 'go live' no sweat later on.

all you would really need on top of it is a controller keyboard as the attached one isnt velocity sensitive...

Message 31/56                 Date: 24-Sep-02  @  02:38 PM   -   RE: can't decide...

99devils

Or you could go slightly cheaper and get a used RM1X at about $350ish, and I've been seeing the Lower end Emu Ultras cheap lately.. Same with the ESIs and the Akai S2000s. All of them are capable boxes, and if you don't like 'em or decide this music thing isn't for you, you're not gonna get reamed getting rid of them. Throw in a RedSound Darkstar for $200 and you've got a kicking rig for under a grand.

-Craig

Message 32/56                 Date: 24-Sep-02  @  08:27 PM   -   RE: can't decide...

influx

ok...nord lead 1 kb for controller and synts. Emu E5000, Kaway q80..

thats...ahh thats still higher...

Message 33/56                 Date: 24-Sep-02  @  09:20 PM   -   RE: can't decide...

99devils

Yeah, but not by much, and you won't want to start off with everything all at once. I'd say get an RM1X, play around with that, 'cause you can teach yourself how to make tracks with just that bit. Then, as you tire of its sounds (and they aren't that great), you can replace them with external kit a piece at a time.. Don't like the drums? Get a sampler. Don't like the synth sounds? Get a synth.

If his budget was a bit higher I'd say RS-7000 too.

-Craig

Message 34/56                 Date: 24-Sep-02  @  10:16 PM   -   RE: can't decide...

influx

but like I said theres an RS7000 on harmony central for $800!

thats a fuckin STEAL!

Message 35/56                 Date: 24-Sep-02  @  10:47 PM   -   RE: can't decide...

errata

Yes it is, and tempting even to this gear head!

I great piece of kit... and just complicated enough to remind the user that this MIDI business requires intelligence!

e

Message 36/56                 Date: 24-Sep-02  @  11:25 PM   -   RE: can't decide...

d

>>this MIDI business requires intelligence<<

OH, NOW YOU TELL ME!

Message 37/56                 Date: 27-Sep-02  @  03:27 AM   -   RE: can't decide...

queasy00

hey.. just thought i'd try (yeah, i never post):

i got into music by first using fasttracker 2 and maz's $40 sample cd which is a super basic s/w seq but wicked (at least i think). anyway.. who cares about that, then i got the rm1x and it's just wicked.

the sounds are nothing special [some can be tweaked to sonic heaven... but don't execpt much]. but the thing is you can expand your setup effectively by using it as a sequencer (it's a wicked seq for live-ness).

anyway.. it's really cheap (like other people have said)... really surely under 500 us... check out ebay --it's your friend ;) [just dont' get hooked!]

and when you decide.. get back.. i don't know about everyone else but i'm really interested to hear what you got!

-j
ps: micro-edit rules.

Message 38/56                 Date: 27-Sep-02  @  08:01 AM   -   RE: can't decide...

breakerbox

oh come on.. dont get all pissed at me... I used a mpc2000 and akai s3000xl and when i saw the rs7000 at guitar center display, i stared at it for 5 mins and i couldnt figure out how to use it...It took me some time to figure out the mpc and all too.. but this one seemed more complicated.. thats all i am saying... So be prepared to learn to use it and get around weird quirks/yamaha way of thinkinglike all the hardware has... I think yamha rs7000 is great for you, specially for the money, I say go with it..
About tckers.. man i used to have this one running on Amiga500.. cant remeber the name XXXXtrackers.. but not fast... I used the fasttracker on pc for a long time.... We use to make the beats on it ( in dos emulation- my soundcard was so crappy.. it wouldnt work higher then 22000hz 16bit) export it as a wave file and run 2 copies of windows media player.. one with the beats and other one with record on.. sometimes that wouldnt work either so we would record the beat to the tape and my friend would play his bass to the beat coming from the tape and record it to windows media player.. then go back to Dos and fix it in fasttracker.. good ole days...

Message 39/56                 Date: 27-Sep-02  @  06:24 PM   -   RE: can't decide...

queasy00

that's wicked man!
haha.. yeah, i loved the tracker days...

and the rm1x was quirky at first... but like you said.. just need to spend some time.

-j
//so bored.. waiting for th ups guy to come with my mixer.

Message 40/56                 Date: 27-Sep-02  @  09:19 PM   -   RE: can't decide...

psylichon

I started with two shitty tape decks with built-in speakers and microphones, playing along with what I just recorded, bouncing back and forth. That's as cheap as it gets.

Editing's a bitch, tho

psylichon

Message 41/56                 Date: 30-Sep-02  @  08:22 PM   -   RE: can't decide...

errata

I made my first piece of music when I was 14. I used a tape based answering machine for looping and a boom box. Just kept dubbing down through the built in mic's... And I used a pair of wooden spoon handles to drum a beat out on the metal speaker grill of the boom box. But I "sampled" the Cocteau Twins too obviously... hey i was only 14!

Also my friend and I used to make dance re-mixes by recording pieces of music from vinyl (we called 'em records back then) onto tape with the pause button. Try looping 4 measures by recording them over and over!!! Damn I was happy when they started making samplers.

e

Message 42/56                 Date: 30-Sep-02  @  11:42 PM   -   RE: can't decide...

Scott Digweed

hehehe

reminds me of the times me and my buds would record ourselves playing instruments and yelling profane sh!t... the questions were whose boom box was going to take the abuse...  

...and whether yo mamma was gonna beat yo ass if she heard it!  

Message 43/56                 Date: 01-Oct-02  @  06:59 PM   -   RE: can't decide...

yonce n mild

My advice is go cheap first........orion is a great idea....I think the regular version is 50 bucks?? push that as far as you can this will give you a better understanding of what you can and cant do with diffrent types of software/synths/samplers. take your time you don't want to get everything at once, because you don't know how you work or what you want to do yet. after playing around with orion you may decide you want a hardware sampler but you will know what type of features you are looking for....if ya get my drift....just take your time there is no set gear list for making eletronic music....If you play around a bit and decide for yourself what you want/need you'll be alot happier

Message 44/56                 Date: 01-Oct-02  @  08:25 PM   -   RE: can't decide...

xoxos

i say.. go here ^ download massiva.

in the files section at dancetech, download a couple of vsti.

read the tutorials at webmassiva.

muck around with that for a while = $0 spent. you might find you don't even like making music. you'll gain experience to use for asking further questions and prolly crank out a few tracks.

geez, guys, 6 million posts and none of you can sort him out with some freeware???  

Message 45/56                 Date: 01-Oct-02  @  10:05 PM   -   RE: can't decide...

errata

xoxos - you've spoiled it again. When will you learn, if we consistantly weed out the punters with advice about how difficult it all is, and how expensive it all is it slows the competition. The fewer FLEM's the better...

;)

e

Message 46/56                 Date: 01-Oct-02  @  10:10 PM   -   RE: can't decide...

yonce

massiva supports vsti now ????.......massiva was the first software sequencer i used.....tight little program....I'll have to check out the latest version

Message 47/56                 Date: 02-Oct-02  @  04:09 AM   -   RE: can't decide...

psychofreak5000

i played around with orion... it's got NO sounds built in to it. I played around with another one called Making Waves (it sucks bad). I can't find anything decent! I have tried Reason yet (40 meg download). I'll try massiva but so far i'vee been a little disappointed with the software samplers.

Message 48/56                 Date: 02-Oct-02  @  02:00 PM   -   RE: can't decide...

k

some mistake there mate - ORION (even the basic orion) comes with 2 drumboxes, sampler, 2 synths, bassline and loads of fx too. Then you can add VSTi's - there's tons of freebies worth using

Message 49/56                 Date: 03-Oct-02  @  09:00 PM   -   RE: can't decide...

JX3P0

A used EPS16+ keyboard and a K-station
would be a good cheap setup.Throw in a
cheap mixer and a consumer CD-R and you
could make some good stuff.Plus it would be
easy to use and you could play live with it
when you're ready.Those EPS/VFX era
sequencers are easy to use and very
powerful.The K station would give you some
nice new VA sounds and you could record
your demo on a CD-R like a phillips .You
could program just about any style with that
setup too.

H

Message 50/56                 Date: 03-Oct-02  @  09:41 PM   -   RE: can't decide...

psylichon

true. There are tons of high quality EPS samples out there. I learned to sequence on an EPS-16... good unit.

psylichon

Message 51/56                 Date: 03-Oct-02  @  10:20 PM   -   RE: can't decide...

psychofreak5000

what exactly is a VSTI?

Message 52/56                 Date: 03-Oct-02  @  10:36 PM   -   RE: can't decide...

xoxos

oh, i see now e.

how do i send midi to my printer? will my vsti convert rupees? (i owe a debt of gratitude here to h. whole thing really.)

Message 53/56                 Date: 03-Oct-02  @  10:54 PM   -   RE: can't decide...

psychofreak5000

where could i get an EPS16+ keyboard?

Message 54/56                 Date: 03-Oct-02  @  11:32 PM   -   RE: can't decide...

panama

Who's the one who uses Orion extensively on this board? Cloud 9?

Give Orion a try. It could teach you a lot about music! Cloud9 really improved his skills as time went by. It can work. You gotta start somewhere.

- there's always fruityloops!

Message 55/56                 Date: 04-Oct-02  @  11:37 PM   -   RE: can't decide...

psychofreak5000

all right, but just in case what are some other worthwhile programs? is cubase any good?

Message 56/56                 Date: 05-Oct-02  @  11:33 PM   -   RE: can't decide...

psylichon

at this point you'd do better searching the forums than asking about each sequencer serperately.

psylichon

Viewing all 56 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1 2 3 4 5 6

There are 56 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum