0  |  skin: 1 2 3  | Login | Join  | 

Audioindy.com

Mail discussion to a friend Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About 7161 forums Forum home New Topic

Forums   -   Drums / rhythms / programming

Subject: Programming methods...

Viewing all 6 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

Original Message 1/6                 Date: 15-Sep-02  @  08:36 PM   -   Programming methods...

Steve Roughley

Link?:  No link

File?:  No file

BEATS 1 0 0 0  |  2 0 0 0  |  3 0 0 0  |  4 0 0 0
Kick 1 0 0 0  |  1 0 0 0  |  1 0 1 0  |  1 0 0 0
Snare 0 0 0 0  |  1 0 0 1  |  0 0 0 0  |  1 0 0 0
Conga1 1 0 0 1  |  0 0 1 0  |  0 0 1 1  |  0 0 0 0

I'm a lttle curious as to other producers general approach to programming drums. Usually, I just throw all my ideas into a 1 to 4 bar loop and keep the loop playing while I mess around 'till I am happy with the groove. I then break the drum pattern down into it's component tracks (snares, hats, kicks, ect), record them to audio and re-sequence them. I'll then procede to work on each track/sound individually. Once I am happy with a track/sound I move on to the next one. And so on.

I have been working with a couple of other producers who, I have discovered, do exactly the same thing. I was wondering if this is the usual method, or is anyone doing anything different? Any new ideas???

Regards.

Steve.

[ back to forum ]               [quote]

Message 2/6                 Date: 15-Sep-02  @  09:15 PM   -   RE: Programming methods...

k

yeah that's what i do most of the time... build a short loop up to the full groove then break it down to components which can then be eased into the mix bit by bit or dropped in/out etc  

Message 3/6                 Date: 15-Sep-02  @  09:26 PM   -   RE: Programming methods...

bedwyr

Link?: Link

aye, same here. but i don't do a lot of "involved" programming, like breaks/dnb. i got a sticker on my monitor says "keep it simple"  

Message 4/6                 Date: 15-Sep-02  @  11:48 PM   -   RE: Programming methods...

Steve Roughley

Cool. It's kind of strange though. I hadn't spoken to anyone about programming drums until I was well and truly settled into this methodology. I suppose it's just the natural way for a western human to approach such a situation.

Regards.

Steve.

Message 5/6                 Date: 16-Sep-02  @  08:11 PM   -   RE: Programming methods...

errata

I've always thought it's the nature of the tech. I do the same (most everyone I've worked with does as well)...

Because we're programming notes into a sequencer, I think there's little room for a different method. It's what works best.

I've always used seperate tracks for each drum element at the start, that way there's no need to break it down.

e

Message 6/6                 Date: 18-Mar-03  @  01:28 PM   -   RE: Programming methods...

dub-munkey

Link?: Link

i use most tried and tested techniques- and for those moments of inspiration i sometimes turn the bpm of the track upto say 190 go plastic hitting the pads of my mpc in a total random order- chop any segment i like into a half a bar- speed down- and layer behind my beat- and loop ad infinitum-

most of the time sounds gash but sometimes can get a pattern you would have never have thought of....

greg

Viewing all 6 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

There are 6 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum