0  |  skin: 1 2 3  | Login | Join  | 

Audioindy.com

Mail discussion to a friend Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About 7161 forums Forum home New Topic

Forums   -   Live / PA / gigging

Subject: small format live controller?

Viewing all 26 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1 2 3

Original Message 1/26                 Date: 29-Aug-02  @  08:52 PM     Edit: 29-Aug-02  |  08:53 PM   -   small format live controller?

99devils

Link?: Link

File?:  No file

Here's the deal.. I'd like to get a small, secondary controller of some sort, mostly for triggering samples live. I'm either looking at a little keyboard type thing, like an Oxygen8, or maybe more of a control surface, like the Emu Launch Pad, or something. I need it to be small, cheap, dependable. Did I mention cheap? I guess what I really need are just an octave or so of keys, but in something small so I don't need more stands.

Are there any other small-format keyboard controllers like the Oxygen? How about other pad-based devices like the Akai pad box that came out recently? Any cheap old synths that'll work (keys are too small on the DX-100)?

I'd like to stay under $150, preferably less..

-Craig

[ back to forum ]               [quote]

Message 2/26                 Date: 29-Aug-02  @  10:46 PM   -   RE: small format live controller?

Pongoid

used yamaha SU10

Message 3/26                 Date: 30-Aug-02  @  02:46 PM   -   RE: small format live controller?

99devils

Now there's something I hadn't thought about..

I suppose the best solution for me really would be a good, quality controller keyboard that I can split.. But I'm cheap, and I like playing the Nord  

-Craig

Message 4/26                 Date: 30-Aug-02  @  02:49 PM   -   RE: small format live controller?

Scott Digweed

Link?:  No link

Craig,

Fancy seeing you here. ;-)

The Oxygen8 is grrr8. The build quality is kinda cheap. But it's so light and tossable, and it can be powered no less than 3 different ways; DC power, USB, or AA batteries.

As for alternatives, I've heard that M-Audio are bringing out another smallish controller, but I can't remember the name at the moment. GC has a few other smallish alternatives, one of which has more assignable knobs and more keys - can't remember the name of it either. It's too early. :-)

Actually, I snapped up one of GC's first batch of Akai MPD-16's. It is freakin awesome - I can pound out my drum grooves now. But be aware that it only has 16 pads, and can trigger 1 MIDI note from each of 16 pads, and you can only select between Banks A and B... meaning that its maximum MIDI note range is 32, without reprogramming... But the thing really excels at drum programming!!!

Scott

Message 5/26                 Date: 30-Aug-02  @  07:15 PM   -   RE: small format live controller?

99devils

We have to stop having discussions across two forums. My head hurts  

-Craig

Message 6/26                 Date: 30-Aug-02  @  09:57 PM   -   RE: small format live controller?

Scott Digweed

Sorry, didn't mean to hurt joo!!! :-D

Message 7/26                 Date: 30-Aug-02  @  10:32 PM   -   RE: small format live controller?

Pongoid

for under $150?

Message 8/26                 Date: 31-Aug-02  @  12:50 AM   -   RE: small format live controller?

Breakerbox

me likes the akai mpd16.. but 300$ WTF? its kinda ripoff. altough i might still buy it  

Message 9/26                 Date: 31-Aug-02  @  07:17 PM   -   RE: small format live controller?

xoxos

wossabaute a tr707???

Message 10/26                 Date: 31-Aug-02  @  10:33 PM   -   RE: small format live controller?

influx

Link?:  Link

craig..

novation made one that I think was the same as the bass station but no sounds...

MM-10 or MM10x or something like that

Message 11/26                 Date: 02-Sep-02  @  10:37 PM   -   RE: small format live controller?

influx

hey man...did you check out the new evolution line? Someone linked to it at another site...pretty damn cool!

Message 12/26                 Date: 06-Sep-02  @  02:49 PM   -   RE: small format live controller?

99devils

Yes, I was looking into the evolution controllers.. I'm probably gonna hold off on this and make do with a bit more sequencing in the near term, until I can get a real decent controller. I'm thinking that's the best option, but I still don't know. I just really was trying to get a feel for what kind of stuff was out there so I didn't miss anything.

I'm also liking the idea of an Emu Launch Pad, 'cause I could re-use it as a control surface in the studio...

-Craig

Message 13/26                 Date: 07-Sep-02  @  09:39 PM   -   RE: small format live controller?

Pongoid

eewwww!!

Message 14/26                 Date: 08-Sep-02  @  12:03 AM   -   RE: small format live controller?

influx

how eloquent of you!

Message 15/26                 Date: 08-Sep-02  @  04:57 AM   -   RE: small format live controller?

Pongoid

Why thank you. I was feeling rather inspired.

Ape

Message 16/26                 Date: 08-Sep-02  @  09:15 AM   -   RE: small format live controller?

99devils

Not a good idea?

-Craig

Message 17/26                 Date: 09-Sep-02  @  07:20 AM   -   RE: small format live controller?

influx

yeah P....on top of ribbing you..I was kinda curious what the EWWWWW meant

dont like the new evolution stuff?

Message 18/26                 Date: 09-Sep-02  @  07:31 AM   -   RE: small format live controller?

Pongoid

nah, Lanch Pads. Hate'em. Little typwriter keys and stuff. Annoying to try and play. Novel idea, poorly executed.

Ape

Message 19/26                 Date: 09-Sep-02  @  08:26 AM   -   RE: small format live controller?

influx

gotcha

Message 20/26                 Date: 10-Sep-02  @  01:11 AM   -   RE: small format live controller?

bench

i really need a midi controller too. trying to control one knob at a time on a softsynth with my peice 'o crap mouse just sucks. what about using something like an electribe, where the knobs send midi? would that work? then i could get a drum box or synth AND a midi controller... Midiman has a controller that has some kind of space age fabric on it. you rub it and it changes the sound, i guess.

Message 21/26                 Date: 10-Sep-02  @  04:56 AM   -   RE: small format live controller?

Pongoid

The surface one will be dope when the OS is complete. In the meantime, the bad boy I see everybody using it the PC1600X from Peavey. It does the job. Not too cheap though.

Ape

Message 22/26                 Date: 10-Sep-02  @  02:22 PM   -   RE: small format live controller?

99devils

And it won't really work for triggering samples either, it's really just a fader box..

-Craig

Message 23/26                 Date: 17-Sep-02  @  10:57 PM   -   RE: small format live controller?

JX3P0

Oxy 8.I think that the build quality is great for
the price.Actual metal pots.rubbery
knobz.yummy.It fits in my Adidas backpack
too.

Message 24/26                 Date: 17-Sep-02  @  11:47 PM   -   RE: small format live controller?

Scott Digweed

agreed, its dimensions are unbeatable. and its implementation is great; i use it everytime i make a tune. but there are no MIDI zones on the oxy8. :-/

the major knock on this kit is that it's plastic, and light plastic at that... i bet if ya drop it on a hard wood/concrete floor, it would break into a gazillion pieces of plastic shrapenel. :-)

not the piece Craig wants to smash on-stage for his live audiences, me thinks. hehe

Message 25/26                 Date: 19-Sep-02  @  06:34 PM   -   RE: small format live controller?

99devils

A controller that can take a good beating is a plus  

-Craig

Message 26/26                 Date: 20-Sep-02  @  12:27 PM   -   RE: small format live controller?

dARKSTATe

The Peavey's nice.. but I still prefer my Control Freak Live!! And as for triggering samples, its do-able as both the Freak and the PV are more than just slider boxes... :-)

I guess you could just use some of the assignable buttons, and map 'em to the midi notes your sampelr is using (not the most intuitive solution I guess, but do-able) :-)

Viewing all 26 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1 2 3

There are 26 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum