0  |  skin: 1 2 3  | Login | Join  | 

Audioindy.com

Mail discussion to a friend Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About 7161 forums Forum home New Topic

Forums   -   Live / PA / gigging

Subject: Live PA = psy trance only?!

Viewing all 20 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1 2

Original Message 1/20                 Date: 25-Jun-02  @  03:13 PM   -   Live PA = psy trance only?!

swanofnever

Link?:  No link

File?:  No file

hi,

i was looking a the "world electronic music festival" flyer... 3 days, 5 (or so) stages, with pretty much "the major genres" of electonic music represented:

house
jungle/dnb
trance
goa/psychedelic trance
breaks/beats/hip hop

there are maybe 20-25 acts per "genre"...

and so out of ~100 acts, 6 or so are live PAs -- and they're ALL in the "psy trance" category?!

any idea why? i can see why (say) house doesn't lend itself to live stuff so much -- a lot of it is about processed samples/heavy production/etc.

for instance, i can imagine someone programing a psy trance track from scratch, live -- just start punching in beats on a drum grid, tweaking a few synth parts till they sound proper, etc.... whereas i can't see "live breaks" (sample some vinyl on an MPC, scsi it to your laptop, open up recycle, etc...)

obviously i'm exagerating, but... anyway, i find it interesting/weird/etc., especially since i'd really like to do live stuff. that's not psy trance.

"which genre for live PAs?"...

[ back to forum ]               [quote]

Message 2/20                 Date: 25-Jun-02  @  03:26 PM   -   RE: Live PA = psy trance only?!

Maarten

Link?: Link

IMO any genre should be possible to do live, why not? I do assume that per genre other set-ups might be required in terms of hardware / "real" instruments / vocals etcetcetc etc.

Message 3/20                 Date: 25-Jun-02  @  04:08 PM   -   RE: Live PA = psy trance only?!

k

perhaps it's cos the trance scene (no coimmercial club trance) has a long tradition of live gigs, the other genre's dont.

Message 4/20                 Date: 25-Jun-02  @  06:07 PM   -   RE: Live PA = psy trance only?!

errata

How many people do you know that make LIVE electronic music that isn't trance? (I mean LIVE, as in the actually play out!) Jungle acts get some respect but live trance acts get more. teh audience expects live trance. I'm sure it goes to what K said about trance having the live tradition.

I've been playing out off and on for years. Used to do live jungle. People would bob their heads and nod and wander in and out of the room. I'd get mad props from the other artists and even some dancers after the set, but NOTHING like I get for the trance I've been playing out for the last year and a half. The whole dance floor picks up with live trance, kids reaching out over the gear to shake hands and shit, and people really opening up! That's what makes playing trance interesting.

Also, people listen to breakbeat, house, intelligence (i hate that phraze), D&B etc while they're makin' dinner, talkin' to friends and all that! They listen to trance at parties, and when they're driving!!! That HAS GOT to have something to do with it!

e

Message 5/20                 Date: 25-Jun-02  @  07:11 PM   -   RE: Live PA = psy trance only?!

proximus

that's gotta be awsome.. to see people dance and open up to your music  

Message 6/20                 Date: 25-Jun-02  @  07:28 PM   -   RE: Live PA = psy trance only?!

k

Link?:  Link

that's true, the underground trance crowd are much more aware of live sets and dats & all the rest of it, they dont 'expect' a vinyl slinging deejay that's the thing cos most of the set will be dat from the studio or live etc also at outdoor events etc. Trance is much more evolving and lends itself to live sets unlike prescision edited constantly changing other styles. Trance is really the last post of the original rave style I guess when people showed up with a drumbox and sampler etc.

I had an idea for a script once. It's basically Jaws except when the guys in the boat are going after Jaws, they look around and there's an even bigger Jaws. The guys have to team up with Jaws to get Bigger Jaws.... I call it... Big Jaws!!!

Message 7/20                 Date: 25-Jun-02  @  07:57 PM   -   RE: Live PA = psy trance only?!

errata

hehehe...

I show up with a sampler a drum box etc...

No computers on stage, the up the stage lighting!!!  

Message 8/20                 Date: 25-Jun-02  @  08:00 PM   -   RE: Live PA = psy trance only?!

errata

GASP!! I used a bad word in my last post and it's gone. Is there a rule? I shouldn't be so rude, my apologies!

I'll find more constructive ways to opine in future ramblings.

e

Message 9/20                 Date: 25-Jun-02  @  08:54 PM   -   RE: Live PA = psy trance only?!

k

only if you aint logged in.

I had an idea for a script once. It's basically Jaws except when the guys in the boat are going after Jaws, they look around and there's an even bigger Jaws. The guys have to team up with Jaws to get Bigger Jaws.... I call it... Big Jaws!!!

Message 10/20                 Date: 25-Jun-02  @  09:06 PM   -   RE: Live PA = psy trance only?!

errata

ahhhhh! I see.

Too much bother most the time. I'll keep it in mind.

e

Message 11/20                 Date: 26-Jun-02  @  04:36 AM   -   RE: Live PA = psy trance only?!

Pongoid

hey. I do house, techno, d n'b, whatever live. Not trance. Sampler, synth, drum box, sequencer, board, f/x. What's hard about that? And yes I am gigging out. So is Mindspawn.

Ape

Message 12/20                 Date: 26-Jun-02  @  06:05 AM     Edit: 26-Jun-02  |  06:06 AM   -   RE: Live PA = psy trance only?!

Mindspawn

And while Mindspawn has certainly played live trance in the past (actually I occasionally still do), I also play some lounge groove, breaks, dnb, tech, bluesy, rock n rollish, noise, ambient, chill trax, too.... All live, no DATs, no computers, on the fly sequencing (as well as preprogrammed sequences of 4-16 bars) and a lot of sweat... but you know, I actually still love to do a trance set or take off into tranceland within a set, simply because of the people factor... they dig it, for whatever reason... and I honestly have a good time playin' it. BUT, I do dig variety. It actually does surprise me a bit that there weren't more styles represented by the FLEMs (nice word Pongoid...). I certainly see more trance heads playin live than any other stuff, though... beats me...

At any rate, the only thing I play under the Mindspawn moniker these days is the odd soundtrackish/noise/dark ambient stuffs, usually at really odd venues or shows.

Long live FLEMs!!!!!!!!!!!

Message 13/20                 Date: 26-Jun-02  @  05:35 PM   -   RE: Live PA = psy trance only?!

errata

I'm not dissin'! I've played a lot of styles (I still do a live set that's mostly hard breaks and noize) and LOVE doin' it... Maybe it's just my thing or somethin' but trance kids RESPOND.

It's me and a partner, we use 2 sequencers, a couple of ana mods, and a pair of samplers! Most of the loops are pre-programmed but we each tweak the elements in real time... and I work with a lot of 2 or 4 measure loops so that I can do live cut-ups. Not that anyone cares, just sharing.

e

Message 14/20                 Date: 27-Jun-02  @  04:01 AM   -   RE: Live PA = psy trance only?!

influx

maybe cuz trance is about drugs? tell me thats not the case.

dont see many E'd up junglists...do ya?

I dunno.

Message 15/20                 Date: 27-Jun-02  @  04:28 AM   -   RE: Live PA = psy trance only?!

errata

I was going to say that it's 'cause they're all HIGH! But that's selling it short, I think.

Yeah, i do see a LOT of e'd up junglists! People are always saying they don't "get" jungle. Then they take "e" and change their tune... Still, I do think it's selling the kids (and the music) short to say it's the drugs.

e

Message 16/20                 Date: 27-Jun-02  @  10:03 PM   -   RE: Live PA = psy trance only?!

Mindspawn

Why? It largely IS the drugs. Not trying to start any shit, but a major portion of the music made is done "under an influence." An' that's literally been goin' on for centuries (not modern trance music, drug use in music...).... I think that's true of a lot of artistic types... Not all, and I certainly dunna think you have to be a head to do art, just seems they often go hand in hand...

Message 17/20                 Date: 28-Jun-02  @  09:47 PM   -   RE: Live PA = psy trance only?!

errata

That's what I mean, it's not necessarily the reason. I've seen people dance and rock out without drugs... tha's all.

I don't think there's any proper denying that drugs influence the music and the scene. Whether people like candy kids or not, it's a drug scene.

e

Message 18/20                 Date: 29-Jun-02  @  12:48 AM   -   RE: Live PA = psy trance only?!

Mindspawn

Ayup. That's what I was gettin' at, not that drugs are the sole reason, just one of the elements present a lot of the time...

Peace

Message 19/20                 Date: 19-Jul-02  @  08:19 AM   -   RE: Live PA = psy trance only?!

djjessex

Im gonna have back errata up on this not just because he is my trance partner but because I feel that sayin drugs ARE the scene or that drugs are the thing keepin it alive is a cop out. I stoped doing drugs in the studio and during live gigs and the music we produce got better, much better. As long as you know who your audience is and what you are making music for, then no matter what type of music you do, if its good-you get a response.

As for why trance getts a better rep for live, c'com guys, its called "trance" music for a reason. No other genre impacts the mind like trance. It is in our tribal brain.

Jesse

Message 20/20                 Date: 19-Jul-02  @  02:57 PM   -   RE: Live PA = psy trance only?!

knowa

yeah but some brains are more tribal than others.

Viewing all 20 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1 2

There are 20 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum