0  |  skin: 1 2 3  | Login | Join  | 

Audioindy.com

Mail discussion to a friend Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About 7161 forums Forum home New Topic

Forums   -   Live / PA / gigging

Subject: Analog Sequencers

Viewing all 7 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

Original Message 1/7                 Date: 07-Apr-02  @  03:47 AM   -   Analog Sequencers

Mindspawn

Link?: Link

File?:  No file

Hey all,

Any of you lot ever use any of the analog sequencers from Doepfer, or similar? Pongoid, you said a friend of your's uses a Notron, have yo got the chance to check it out, or has he said anything about it, pro and con-wise?

I'm asking as I really like the idea of how things like the Notron, Doepfer's MAQ16/3, and so on work (being a fan of the SEQ303 from Techno Toys...), and I'm wondering whether anyone has had any experience using these machines....

Peace

[ back to forum ]               [quote]

Message 2/7                 Date: 07-Apr-02  @  10:31 AM   -   RE: Analog Sequencers

Pongoid

yeah, I've used it a little bit. The Notron is a really slick piece. It basicly combines a step sequencer and slick bunch of MIDI macros. So that any step can throw any or several MIDI macros at once, like a pitch bend for X number of steps along with the note number, duration, and velocity. It's a bit cumbersome to program until you get the hang of where everything is because it's really cryptic, but you can do all kinds of neat things like chaining sequences, running the different sequence chains in diffierent tempo ratios to one another, chord voicings from each step if you want it, I mean really extensive stuff. It's always in record mode, and it really is meant for jamming on. You can go into it with a specific idea, but the real beauty is just getting lost as it makes your synths and samplers do things that you would never have dreamed of coming up with. It's the only sequencer that can do what it does the way it does it. Con-wise? It's not easy to learn. It's really cryptic if you don't take the time to learn the architecture, where everything is hiding, and read the manual a BUNCH. However if you take the time, it pays off. I still want one. Serious tool, not a toy for beginners, but it just makes your other gear do the most perverse things. Just that, a laptop running reaktor, a little drum machine, a chaos pad, midi fader box, and mixer is all my buddy uses and it just comes out SOOOOOO sick. Even if you substituted a TX81Z for the laptop, you'd put people on another planet. The thing is that unless you're really tight on the unit, you'll go there way too fast, and it helps to have somebody else as co-pilot holding folks somewhere not too far from reality. Once you've got a good grasp on it, things get to be a little more coherent, but for quite a while it will be VERY experimental. Good luck. I'd love to see more friends with that kind of weaponry around, and out in the trenches.

Ape

Message 3/7                 Date: 07-Apr-02  @  03:38 PM   -   RE: Analog Sequencers

xoxos

get my email m?

Message 4/7                 Date: 07-Apr-02  @  09:53 PM   -   RE: Analog Sequencers

Mindspawn

Pongoid - Danke for the info... I like the sound of the Notrons, hard as hell to find them, though... They is also fairly pricey.. but I do like the sound of 'em. I'm also looking at the Doepfer MQ16/3 and the MAM SQ16, and to be honest, ain't none of these little beasties cheap... Wish they made Seq303 in a box... In any case, I really like that style of sequencing, I'd definitely enjoy doing sets with that sort of flexibility.

xoxos - got your mail and the recommendation... I'd say yer friend gives it a positive assessment then? =) Thanks much for asking, xoxos...

Peace

Message 5/7                 Date: 08-Apr-02  @  12:04 AM   -   RE: Analog Sequencers

Pongoid

got another buddy with the maq16/3. Dude, nothin even close to the Notron, not even in the same park let alone league.

Ape

Message 6/7                 Date: 08-Apr-02  @  01:56 AM   -   RE: Analog Sequencers

xoxos

something about being more essential than food housing and clothing, requiring half a dozen and said 'mine' a lot; consecutively in several instances.

must suck if you need six of them.

Message 7/7                 Date: 11-Apr-02  @  06:09 AM   -   RE: Analog Sequencers

Mindspawn

Well the Notrons seem next to impossible to find. The company is gone, and noone seems to want to part with theirs... I did get a MAM SQ16 today. Like it a lot so far... ain't no Notron to be sure, but I am enjoying how it works...

Pax

Viewing all 7 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

There are 7 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum