0  |  skin: 1 2 3  | Login | Join  | 

Audioindy.com

Mail discussion to a friend Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About 7161 forums Forum home New Topic

Forums   -   Guitars & amps

Subject: Decent PC amp simulator

Viewing all 15 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1 2

Original Message 1/15                 Date: 11-Jun-01  @  06:52 AM   -   Decent PC amp simulator

shado

Link?: Link

File?:  No file

PC guitar amp software is very limited at the moment and it would seem the only choices are, Cake fx2, Revalver and Dsound stompin fx. I've tried Revalver and can't believe how bad it sounds considering how inviting the grafix look. Cake fx2 is quite a good simulator but doesn't have enough gain. The best stred type sound I've pulled is using Dsound distortion as an insert in VST then Cake fx2 British Crunch inserted after with a touch of chorus, reverb and Karlette from the sends. Still not up to Amp Farm on the mac unfortunately. Just wondering what you think and if there is any good stuff comming out Cya Dale

[ back to forum ]               [quote]

Message 2/15                 Date: 14-Jun-01  @  02:02 AM   -   RE: Decent PC amp simulator

robski27

Hey check out the pod it is good i use it all the time--
Make sure you check it out gives some really good sounds!

Message 3/15                 Date: 14-Jun-01  @  10:20 AM   -   RE: Decent PC amp simulator

shado

Yeah I know about this very well. I personally use the guitar preamps in the Roland VS-1680 which to my ears sound exactly like the GT3. But these are all hardware. At the gig I use a JMP1 which I still love and sounds like a real amp. I am wanting to know about software alternatives however as I am thinking of ditching the 1680 and I can't be bothered bringing my live rig home to do recording. Thanx for the reply though. Nice to see someone that plays a musical instrument here in the most biased of terms. Dale

Message 4/15                 Date: 14-Jun-01  @  04:54 PM   -   RE: Decent PC amp simulator

damballah

well, the amp farm is a pod in software you have to have a digi system to run. is it tdm or rtas? only one I've fooled with is revalver. there's something about the way you'd play something because of what the amp is doing to the sound. I dunno that you get the same sort of performance recording clean off the pickups and getting the amp sound later. so I record the sound how I want it to sound and add small enhancements later. my preferences: 1) miked cabinet 2) something like a pod, sans amp, etc. 3) DI & software.

Message 5/15                 Date: 14-Jun-01  @  11:38 PM   -   RE: Decent PC amp simulator

k

sansamp PSA1?.... it simulates tube & cab fx too... small company indie designer, sposed to be very good... my mates got a mesa pre-rack.. ulp!.. pretty good. they do a protools plug now.. they got plenty of sound examples on their page. very good!!

I had an idea for a script once. It's basically Jaws except when the guys in the boat are going after Jaws, they look around and there's an even bigger Jaws. The guys have to team up with Jaws to get Bigger Jaws.... I call it... Big Jaws!!!

Message 6/15                 Date: 14-Jun-01  @  11:41 PM   -   RE: Decent PC amp simulator

k

hmmm their user list is enormous, including: Dweezil Zappa, Les Claypool & Doug Wimbish. I want one !!!

I had an idea for a script once. It's basically Jaws except when the guys in the boat are going after Jaws, they look around and there's an even bigger Jaws. The guys have to team up with Jaws to get Bigger Jaws.... I call it... Big Jaws!!!

Message 7/15                 Date: 14-Jun-01  @  11:43 PM   -   RE: Decent PC amp simulator

k

whoah!... and dave 'the snake' (cabo wabbo yum!), satch & 9" nails

Message 8/15                 Date: 15-Jun-01  @  02:16 AM   -   RE: Decent PC amp simulator

damballah

that'd work  

Message 9/15                 Date: 15-Jun-01  @  03:23 AM   -   RE: Decent PC amp simulator

shado

The initial question was PC software. Amp Farm is indeed Line 6's software version of the Pod and although I have never had the pleasure, it is meant to be the best Amp sim of all. Unfortunately it's Mac and worse for the fiscally challenged, TDM which means it won't run on the Digi 001. The Bomb Factory software version of the Tech21 Sansamp is also just Mac but is RTAS. At the time when ditching my ADA MP1, I was considering a midi controlled preamp for my live rig 4 years ago I A/B'd the Sansamp, JMP1 and Mesa Boogie Triaxis. The Sansamp is completely transister and is very tweekable. It does clean and mega shred sounds very well and has a speaker emulator. The interesting thing is that you can dial in indidual distortion amounts for each frequency band. For all it's flexiblity though it didn't sound like an amp to my ears. The Triaxis although completely valve sounded like a transister amp. The JMP1 isn't nearly as flexable as the Sansamp but does sound like an amp. The challenge for a good amp sim is always the ablitity to replicate the sound of when an amp is just breaking up. Any distortion pedal like a RAT can do the rest, then just use the channel strip for extra control to fine tune the EQ. Some thoughts Dale

Message 10/15                 Date: 15-Jun-01  @  03:52 AM   -   RE: Decent PC amp simulator

k

yeah true but alot of it is the cab sound tho.

Message 11/15                 Date: 16-Jun-01  @  06:37 PM   -   RE: Decent PC amp simulator

wererich

Link?:  No link

Gentlemen, it cannot be done.

You can recreate a Prophet 5 as a VSTi and even a B3 but no one is ever going to duplicate the sound of my Deluxe Reverb. It's all about the air and the cone and the tubes...I have the Sans Amp and it's nice but it's about 65% of the way there...it's like a good photograph of a banana. It's crystal clear but you can't eat.

Message 12/15                 Date: 17-Jun-01  @  04:50 PM   -   RE: Decent PC amp simulator

k

true, ansd that's why if i'm doing guyitars where i need real sound of driven cabs etc then i take an adat into a rehearsal studio & record it there along with a stereo mix of the track bounced to the adat. Tehn, take that recording of takes home and bounce them back to the pc

Message 13/15                 Date: 22-Jun-01  @  02:45 AM   -   RE: Decent PC amp simulator

pali

Yeah software just can't recreate all the 'random' nature of just how hard you fret that note and how hard you pluck that string coupled with just how much value distortion you have. Sweet.

Q: If you've got 5 keyboard players playing the same music on the same keyboard what do they sound like?

A: All the same

Q: if you've got 5 different guitarists?

A: 5 different guitarists.

Nobody can get as funky as a guitar with technology, possibly the closest was Giorgio Moroder in my humble opinion.

Cheers

Pali

Btw I thought this forum was dead! Never...

Message 14/15                 Date: 28-Jun-01  @  04:53 PM   -   RE: Decent PC amp simulator

k

heh heh - seen this one?

Message 15/15                 Date: 29-Jun-01  @  02:15 AM   -   RE: Decent PC amp simulator

pict

Boggin'

Viewing all 15 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1 2

There are 15 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum