0  |  skin: 1 2 3  | Login | Join  | 

Audioindy.com

Mail discussion to a friend Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About 7161 forums Forum home New Topic

Forums   -   Deejay & deejay kit

Subject: scratchin' and skippin'

Viewing all 6 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

Original Message 1/6                 Date: 26-Apr-01  @  03:36 AM   -   scratchin' and skippin'

psylichon

Link?: Link

File?:  No file

I picked up a 1200 mkII at work the other week for free (I know, and yes I do consider myself very lucky...). I got a Stanton 500 II cartridge for it. No matter how I adjust the tone arm height/balance/anti-skate, I still can't consistently scratch programs near the edge of a vinyl. Further in on the platter I have no problem, but it skips forward frequently near the outside...

I know technique has a lot to do with it, and I've been practicing. What I want to know is if this is a physical characteristic of vinyl (seeing as how you have to physically turn the record more to scratch something on outer grooves than on inner ones) that I need to learn to compensate for or if it's just my shitty skillz. Thanks for any tips.

psylichon

[ back to forum ]               [quote]

Message 2/6                 Date: 26-Apr-01  @  06:37 PM   -   RE: scratchin' and skippin'

Jon

Shitty skills!! The most common form of scratching is probably scratching in the opening beat or sample, hence beginning of record. Its taken me 5 years to muster up a half decent method of scratching. It's the most complicated skill of basic DJing. Be patient

Message 3/6                 Date: 27-Apr-01  @  12:02 AM   -   RE: scratchin' and skippin'

BlooVooDoo

get a pound coin balanced on the headshell and youll be able to kick that fucker all day without it skipping.

SpinbacK

Message 4/6                 Date: 13-May-01  @  08:40 PM   -   RE: scratchin' and skippin'

Will

Link?:  No link

Unhealthy for the cartridge and the vinyl. I would only do that if you need to show skills live as a temporary solution....

Message 5/6                 Date: 14-May-01  @  12:05 AM   -   RE: scratchin' and skippin'

psylichon

Wow... almost forgot I posted this one.

I fixed the problem. First of all, I had the weight on the tonearm set way too high (it was skipping forward), and the table I had the deck on was quite unsturdy. I moved it to a desk that doesn't wobble and it solved all my skipping issues immediately. Now I can go as nuts as I want without a problem.

Thanks for the tips though, guys... much respect....

psylichon

Message 6/6                 Date: 15-May-01  @  01:11 AM   -   RE: scratchin' and skippin'

BlooVooDoo

so bouncing and skittering a needle across a record trying to scratch is less damaging will?

Viewing all 6 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

There are 6 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum