0  |  skin: 1 2 3  | Login | Join  | 

Audioindy.com

Mail discussion to a friend Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About 7161 forums Forum home New Topic

Forums   -   Deejay & deejay kit

Subject: Warped vinyl

Viewing all 10 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

Original Message 1/10                 Date: 14-Apr-01  @  05:02 PM   -   Warped vinyl

ABC 303

Link?:  No link

File?:  No file

So how do i sort a problem like this out?

I've had this brainwave where i place vinyl under a towel and iron over it. Risky though innit!

Any ideas?

Thanks.

[ back to forum ]               [quote]

Message 2/10                 Date: 15-Apr-01  @  12:25 AM   -   RE: Warped vinyl

loFreq

Although I've never tried it, I have heard of a method that works. I would avise trying it with a junk record first. get two flat pieces of glass quite a bit larger than your records, and thick enough to support some weight(an eighth of an inch or more). Then take your record and put it between the glass plates, now put black construction paper behind it and set it in the sun. Put some weight around the edges but let the sun hit the record. Im not sure how long to leave it there, im sure it depends on how hot it is out side and so on. Like I said, I've never tried it, so I dont know for sure that it works.

Message 3/10                 Date: 15-Apr-01  @  04:40 PM   -   RE: Warped vinyl

ABC 303

Thanks for that LoFreq.

I've actually heard of that one myself. A sunny day? I live in Manchester, England;)

Message 4/10                 Date: 16-Apr-01  @  08:18 AM   -   RE: Warped vinyl

loFreq

sorry bout the weather issue, im afaid i cant help you there. perhaps a heat lamp would do the same thing. again just ideas, dont blame me if you burn yer house down trying to get yer rekkids flat. heh

Message 5/10                 Date: 16-Apr-01  @  02:11 PM   -   RE: Warped vinyl

ABC 303

Found this on another board....

SOLUTION
this seems mad, but i tried a few times and got it!

right, grab a baking tray, make sure the whole vinyl fits on it

pre-heat oven to 50 and stick baking tray (with vinyl of course lol) on middle shelf

leave in for about 20 secs MAX and then take it out

put it to cool somewhere with a sheet of glass or sumat similar over the top with a small weight on top (record box works well here boys n girls)

leave for about 24hrs

the vinyl is fine!

ALSO dont be stupid by putting ya fave tune as test one....grab an old/cheap 2nd hand (if ya got one of those £1 vinyl shops) and practice with em first (took me 3 attempts to get right...its worth it though!!)

Why can't things be simple, eh? Actually your method was on that board as well LoFreq and claimed to be the best way! I'll try it with 2 sheets of Perspex instead of glass (use what you've got) keep in sun for 2-3 minutes, then place indoors on table still between glass
and keep under weight for a few hours.

Hey presto!!

Thanks again, LoFreq.

BTW the record is 'the bouncer' by 'Kicks Like A Mule'....Is it really worth the effort, some of you may ask. Ahh, leave me alone, i love all that cheesy old 'ardkore!

Message 6/10                 Date: 17-Apr-01  @  05:46 PM   -   RE: Warped vinyl

loFreq

no problem....

Message 7/10                 Date: 19-Apr-01  @  04:04 AM   -   RE: Warped vinyl

symmetric

Modify the glass method with c-clamps, and leave your record in the car for an afternoon, or in your oven at 150-200 degrees for a very short (30 seconds to 1 minute) amount of time, and leave it clamped in the glass while it cools. Also, for single warps, I have worked vinyl over the open flame on a gas stove with varying degrees of success. Good Luck!

Message 8/10                 Date: 26-Apr-01  @  06:40 PM   -   RE: Warped vinyl

Jon

Link?: Link

where abouts in Manchester u playin?? I'm assuming u ain't a hardcore dj these days. Ur the first person I've found who's also up the Naughty North (Sheffield)

Message 9/10                 Date: 05-May-01  @  03:39 PM   -   RE: Warped vinyl

ABC 303

Hiya Jon,

Nowhere at the moment, haven't been buying vinyl for over a year because i was never really getting anywhere, i ran my own night doing old school stuff at the back room of a ritzy style club (which i may start up again), the club let us do it for free as long as we got enough people in. Apart from that just did the odd after party.

DJing was always just a personal hobby, i never really went out and sold myself to my regret, i'd take mixtapes to a club and hand them out to clubbers rather than to promoters.

What about you in sheffield?

Message 10/10                 Date: 24-Oct-01  @  01:28 PM   -   RE: Warped vinyl

BJT

I tryed the "ontop of the fridge" method and, well, instead of a fridge I used a toaster oven,
and the surface looked flat but wasn't and I screwed it - parts of the groove fused together and its warped worse - don't laugh!!!

Viewing all 10 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

There are 10 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum