0  |  skin: 1 2 3  | Login | Join  | 

Audioindy.com

Mail discussion to a friend Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About 7161 forums Forum home New Topic

Forums   -   Deejay & deejay kit

Subject: Many TT's on market your impression

Viewing all 27 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1 2 3

Original Message 1/27                 Date: 27-Mar-01  @  11:05 PM   -   Many TT's on market your impression

Lightyear

Link?: Link

File?:  [image]

[image file]

Well we're at a point where the good old 1200's aren't
the only thing to consider as far as a high end turntable.
What are some of your impressions of the new wave of
decks that have come out over the last 2 years or so?

[ back to forum ]               [quote]

Message 2/27                 Date: 28-Mar-01  @  12:14 PM   -   RE: Many TT's on market your impression

k

File?:  No file

i like the 'imac' looking one !!... gemini 2410 - dunno if it's crap tho cos i aint a dj.. but it looks cool...

I had an idea for a script once. It's basically Jaws except when the guys in the boat are going after Jaws, they look around and there's an even bigger Jaws. The guys have to team up with Jaws to get Bigger Jaws.... I call it... Big Jaws!!!

Message 3/27                 Date: 28-Mar-01  @  08:52 PM   -   RE: Many TT's on market your impression

Lightyear

File?:  [image]

[image file]

You know, I actually have that ones older
brother, the PT2000. It's a really great table for
200usd less than a techniq. more features to.

Message 4/27                 Date: 29-Mar-01  @  12:02 AM   -   RE: Many TT's on market your impression

jermz

Link?:  No link

Ok, the bottom line is no dj's will play on anything except for technics, vestax makes some cool looking high end models but besides that, at least in the US the industry standard is 1200's

Message 5/27                 Date: 29-Mar-01  @  06:01 AM   -   RE: Many TT's on market your impression

k

ok.. i'll pay you 2k to play at my club next thursday on a pair of TT's... :-) - bet you'd turn that down eh !!

I had an idea for a script once. It's basically Jaws except when the guys in the boat are going after Jaws, they look around and there's an even bigger Jaws. The guys have to team up with Jaws to get Bigger Jaws.... I call it... Big Jaws!!!

Message 6/27                 Date: 29-Mar-01  @  02:05 PM   -   RE: Many TT's on market your impression

Jasper

I allways wondered about that, remember that the akai s3000 is STILL touted as the industry standard sampler even though it's been bettered about 10 times. So I suppose it's more a case of what your used to rather than being flexible and skilled accross the board?

Message 7/27                 Date: 30-Mar-01  @  05:41 AM   -   RE: Many TT's on market your impression

k

no he's got a point, people are used to the start times etc of SL's -

Message 8/27                 Date: 01-Apr-01  @  04:02 AM   -   RE: Many TT's on market your impression

loFreq

Out of all the decks I've tried, nothing feels like a 1200. The weight of the platter, the torque. And on the first editon of the battle style Vestax, PD3 I think, the platter would grind into the frame if you pressed down on it while it was moving. Very cheesy. Nice try, better luck next time. One thing that I will say for the vestax with the straight arm, it tracks very well for scratchin and stuff. But the platter is still too light even on the new model. I say stick with Technics 1200s for now. One day someone else will get it right.

shawn

Message 9/27                 Date: 01-Apr-01  @  11:37 AM   -   RE: Many TT's on market your impression

k

but if the platter can move up/down vertically then it's a belt drive?...or is the entire motor assembly mounted on a suspended system ?

Message 10/27                 Date: 01-Apr-01  @  01:54 PM   -   RE: Many TT's on market your impression

loFreq

no no not a belt drive. Just a poorly made excuse for a direct drive. The start up time is fine, and so is the nifty pitch control. But record handling sucks. I see it like this: when your cuing, a tech-1200 is 'with' you, all others are down the road and around the corner. Get my drift? when im cuing and I let go of the rekkid on a tech 1200, it instantly is at the speed that the pitch is set to. On others the platter is so light that it either spins faster for a while and then slows down to the correct speed or it is too slow and takes a while to get to proper speed. Like I said before, perhaps one day someone else will get it right, WITH all the bells and whistles. Until then, I'll stick with tech 1200s

shawn

Message 11/27                 Date: 01-Apr-01  @  09:16 PM   -   RE: Many TT's on market your impression

Pongoid

K,
Most DJ's that you would pay 2K to have spin wouldn't play on shit decks simply because it would cost them more in gigs they don't get and tapes and CDs they don't sell because the set sounded like shit. Sadly it's the same reason guys like the Chems play off of DA88s inted of REALLY live.

Ape

Message 12/27                 Date: 02-Apr-01  @  07:26 PM   -   RE: Many TT's on market your impression

ABC 303

The only gripe i have with my Technic's is the quartz lock, i don't see the need for it in mixing, and it seems that the area around the quartz lock is unstable, as in sudden gains in speed. I use the pitch slider instead of touching the platter, etc to mix, so i don't want it there. Maybe i'm just lazy but i can't be arsed touching that risky 'turntable' region.

Another thing. Does anybody know the details of how to change the 1210 from +8 to +16 ( step by step easy as abc123 pictures, i really like )...And is it harmful to your turntables health or not? Um, is it worth it??

Thanks.

Message 13/27                 Date: 02-Apr-01  @  07:35 PM   -   RE: Many TT's on market your impression

ABC 303

Actually. What is this quartz lock that i speak of? I've always assumed its the middle part of the pitch slider and now i'm thinking 'hang on, whats that little LOCK switch at the base of the stylus?' I've never figuered out what its for, never needed it either.

Knowledge is power!!

Message 14/27                 Date: 03-Apr-01  @  04:26 AM   -   RE: Many TT's on market your impression

danktle

Anyone here seen the Vestax PDX2000 yet?

ABC 303-
the LOCK switch at the base of the tonearm assembly is to keep the tonearm height steady once you have adjusted it. If your tables play ok now, then you can leave it where it is. Changing the base height just changes the angle of the needle in the groove, you can experiment with this to see if you can make any positive changes. To do so, unlock the switch and rotate the black collar ring that surrounds the entire base. Be sure to lock it back once you're satisfied.
Also, did you know of a version technics called the 1200 Mark III? If you are in Europe and have to use 1210's, then I don't know if a 1210 MkIII exists or not. Anyways MkIII's eliminate the Quartz Lock detent in the middle of the pitch fader; instead the quartz lock is engaged by a toggle switch located next to the tracking light. I think they realised the quartz lock makes it harder to mix with, and maybe that's why they made a markIII.
Unfortunately, I have no idea how to make the pitch +/-16% but i'd be sure it's not a DIY task. See if there's a service center that can do it for you.

Message 15/27                 Date: 03-Apr-01  @  08:14 AM   -   RE: Many TT's on market your impression

loFreq

for info on messing with your tech-12 check the link above. It goes over some "good to know" basic stuff about tech-12s.

Message 16/27                 Date: 03-Apr-01  @  08:29 AM   -   RE: Many TT's on market your impression

k

well when you change cart'/setup a new cart' - here's a tip - get a piece of broken mirror or s small 'ladies compact' mirror etc the same thickness as a vinyl - lay it on the platter and drop the needle onto it (gently of course) look at the mirror image of the edge of the cart (front to back lower edge) reflecting in the piece of mirror - the image in the mirror and the edge of the cart should be absolutly parallel as possible. This gets the best solid sound with the best bass & kik definition. also the cart front verticaly should be absolutely vertical - again the mirror shows this up clearly if it leans even slightly to one side of center - again this drastically effects bass phase & punch

Message 17/27                 Date: 04-Apr-01  @  07:47 AM   -   RE: Many TT's on market your impression

loFreq

speaking of carts... be sure to read the product warning topic on the Ortofon carts. You'll be sorry if you spend yer cash on carts that will kill your decks. anyway

Message 18/27                 Date: 04-Apr-01  @  06:58 PM   -   RE: Many TT's on market your impression

Pongoid

there was also a Mark iv. Almost identical to the Mark ii, but has a shrouded power switch, so you don't turn the damn thing off to frequently, when following the platter, and also features 78 speed. Has the detent in the fader again, I believe. Cool tool.

ape

Message 19/27                 Date: 05-Apr-01  @  05:29 AM   -   RE: Many TT's on market your impression

djhippo303

I read that post about the ortofon carts but I have never heard of this before, myself and most of the other DJ's I know swear by them and have been using them for years and this is the first I've ever heard of it. I find it difficult to believe that with ortofon's long time expirience that they would develop a product that could damage your tables.

Message 20/27                 Date: 05-Apr-01  @  07:49 AM   -   RE: Many TT's on market your impression

loFreq

Yeah, I understand your disbelief. Someone told me before I bought my Ortofon carts, but i chose to disregard the warning. And now both of my tone arms are on the way out. I will say that they worked flawlessly for 2.5years. And yes they are awesome carts before the eventual demise of yer tonearms. BTW the carts work fine on other non 'ortofoned' decks. I have now witnessed at least 6 decks being fuked by em.

Message 21/27                 Date: 05-Apr-01  @  08:56 AM   -   RE: Many TT's on market your impression

djhippo303

odd, I'd expect ortofon's R&D department would have dealt with that problem by now, you sure it's all ortofons and not just certain models? I'm using an ancient pair of concordes. . . tables are less than a year old though

Message 22/27                 Date: 05-Apr-01  @  08:58 AM   -   RE: Many TT's on market your impression

djhippo303

just out of curiosity, how exactly does the damage manifest itself? not physically, but sound quality. . .

Message 23/27                 Date: 06-Apr-01  @  08:08 AM   -   RE: Many TT's on market your impression

loFreq

well it goes like this, you bump the tone arm at all, like seting it on the rest and it pops. After a while only one channel will work at a time and eventually you will have to play with it just to make it work. It really sux. One of my decks is in the one channel stage and the other one pops and sometimes cuts one channel. My roomies hardly works and requires messing with just to work. He has the silver ones and I have the DJs (blue). it takes about two years tho. Another friend has the same prob.

Message 24/27                 Date: 19-Apr-01  @  04:09 AM   -   RE: Many TT's on market your impression

symmetric

OK, I'm new here, but here's my take on new decks:
There are only three types of decks to spin on, MKII's, MK3D's, and the Vestax PDX2000's. The Vestax's are seriously badass. Except that they look like UFO's, there is nothing I don't like about them. +-10% AND +-50% pitch control, variable startup and stop times, and the tonearm almost never skips. Believe the hype about these decks. The first time I played them I was floored. I liked the pitch control better than the Tech's, and we all know how we feel about the Tech's! Give them a try, but not if you don't want your feelings towards 1200's to change.
Symmetric - crazy hard trance dj currently living in Indiana

Message 25/27                 Date: 20-Apr-01  @  03:46 PM   -   RE: Many TT's on market your impression

loFreq

The platters still feel like a frisbee. Way tooo light. For me, it a matter of feel.

Message 26/27                 Date: 20-Apr-01  @  04:11 PM   -   RE: Many TT's on market your impression

Milan

Link?:  Link

yup, but at least PD´s dont have the quartz lock in the zero position like 1210´s, you know when you cant mix a record on them when its just a tad of from the zero pitch?
well, on the vestax you can...

Message 27/27                 Date: 22-Apr-01  @  03:03 AM   -   RE: Many TT's on market your impression

BlooVooDoo

Arghhhhhhhhhhhhhh, those fucking Gemini dex should be outlawed!

Did a place last sat night where the guy had outfitted the whole place lush, new soundsystem, mixer, lighting, decor - and had the fucking cheek to scrimp a couple of hundred on the most important thing!

technics mk2 or the top end vestax, nothing else is even close.

spinback

Viewing all 27 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1 2 3

There are 27 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum