0  |  skin: 1 2 3  | Login | Join  | 

Audioindy.com

Mail discussion to a friend Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About 7161 forums Forum home New Topic

Forums   -   Deejay & deejay kit

Subject: CD-Decks

Viewing all 12 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1 2

Original Message 1/12                 Date: 22-Mar-01  @  12:10 AM   -   CD-Decks

Moujik

Link?:  Link

File?:  No file

A post on the Music Tech forum got me thinking about how I'm missing DJing - but so I can include some of my own stuff, I figure CD is the way to go.

Anyway, I'm planning on picking up some CD-decks 2nd hand, but need some suggestions of what to look for.

Thanks in advance.

[ back to forum ]               [quote]

Message 2/12                 Date: 23-Mar-01  @  05:27 AM   -   RE: CD-Decks

deetee_sounds

Link?: Link

no man a lappy and mp3's is what you want i reckon...  

I had an idea for a script once. It's basically Jaws except when the guys in the boat are going after Jaws, they look around and there's an even bigger Jaws. The guys have to team up with Jaws to get Bigger Jaws.... I call it... Big Jaws!!!

Message 3/12                 Date: 23-Mar-01  @  04:03 PM   -   RE: CD-Decks

loFreq

Link?:  No link

Personally, I can't see my self enjoying CD decks nearly as much as real turntables. Although the idea of using ones own material is nice, I usually just play the track on the PC and then match reckords to it.

Message 4/12                 Date: 27-Mar-01  @  02:56 PM   -   RE: CD-Decks

Pongoid

yeah, for the money, the lappy is the way to go, but getting a CD deck or two is more the way to do it if you are going to be a CDJ in places other than your own joint/s, cuz burns are easier to replace than a full lappy. If you have all of it archived, you can even be a pimp at your gigs and toss the CDs into your audience after you play them, and they are definately lighter than vinyl. That's not to say I don't love manipulating vinyl, or the sound quality of it, but there's a lot of stuff you can't find on vinyl, just like stuff you can't find off of it, and also there's a lot of stuff in the low end that you can't do on vinyl cuz you'll jump the needle. CDs are not bad. Vinyl is still the shit, but I'm still holding my breath on the small, pitch controllable MD decks. They will come sooner or later, then everybody's in trouble cuz it means you can grab from anywhere, and mix it in anywhere. Nice.

Ape

Message 5/12                 Date: 27-Mar-01  @  07:54 PM   -   RE: CD-Decks

f_a_b

i bought some american dj prodj2 decks...they work really well for me and have some really nice features that the next model down don't have

cds are also nice because they are so absolute...you push a button, and something happens instantaneously...vinyl isn't so dependable, and wears out...

i've begun buying vinyl singles and recording them on my computer...i clean it up and then burn it to cd...also i can play my own tunes...

later

FAB

Message 6/12                 Date: 27-Mar-01  @  10:50 PM   -   RE: CD-Decks

Lightyear

File?:  [image]

[image file]

Check out gemini's flip top style players. Very
affordable (around $100 USD), mine have
worked perfect for 3 years now.

I have a question for tha lappy users...How in
the hell do you monitor the cue??? Like your
playing track A, but you wanna beat match
track B to that and flow in. I just don't see how
it's possible outside of some auto
beatmatching program? Just curious.

Message 7/12                 Date: 01-Apr-01  @  08:49 PM   -   RE: CD-Decks

Pongoid

You get a lappy with multiple outs (usually PCMCIA with breakout-box), and use something like TRAKTOR, or another app that supports more than just one stereo output.

Ape

Message 8/12                 Date: 03-Apr-01  @  11:41 PM   -   RE: CD-Decks

jondennis101

minidisc deck's were released by Sony about 3 years ago. Richer Sounds (UK) were putting them out at, I think, £299 each back in Jan/Feb. CD decks are cool, but never consider being a dj with cd decks. They're basically like an accpella on vinyl, they're a tool, use them when you need to add additional pitch to a track or obviously for your own material. I won Gatecrasher's (uk) Dj competion final playing 4 tracks from cd aswell as my wreck-ords. I did that for the above reason and because I burned some mp3's from Napster onto CD of chewns which I couldn't track down on vinyl.
The most popular cd decks seem to be citronic from my experience. They are crap and the control unit is supplied separately to the cd loading unit. Go for Pioneer, with jog wheels. Oh and don't get 2, get 1. You'd waste ur money cause you need vinyl. Trust moi

Message 9/12                 Date: 04-Apr-01  @  07:54 AM   -   RE: CD-Decks

loFreq

yeah i've been toying with the idea of buying one CD deck just to have the option. Although I really want to get a portable MD recorder first, for recording environmental samples.

Message 10/12                 Date: 04-Apr-01  @  07:08 PM   -   RE: CD-Decks

Pongoid

Yeah, Sony did that big silver thing, with the eight pads, and Denon, actually did a really nice double MD deck that even records, but I'm hoping for something a little more compact, along the lines of Sharp 702, with a more accurate jog wheel, faster startup, and pitch control.

Ape

Message 11/12                 Date: 05-Apr-01  @  02:01 AM   -   RE: CD-Decks

f_a_b

Well, to someone who's probably been working with vinyl for a long time now, I can understand how CD decks would seem rather foriegn. CD decks are very well suited to me though. Vinyl seems so indefinite and unpredictable, while cds are the opposite really. Not that you can do everything with CDs that you can with vinyl, but im not a big fan of scratching and backspins have a limited potential for entertainment...

Much respect to those who are good at scratching...just not my thing

my point is, CD decks are better for me...ive been using computers all my life, not turntables...

and i think that djing with cd decks has just as much potential for really good mixing, just no back spins or scratching, but im not much for tricks anyway...

later

FAB

Message 12/12                 Date: 06-Apr-01  @  12:14 AM   -   RE: CD-Decks

Jon

I'm a mix,tricks,scratch boy myself, but I see what you mean, they're valid comments. However, CD are jus simply no fun atall in a club. Unless you're talking Pontins obcourse!

Viewing all 12 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1 2

There are 12 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum