0  |  skin: 1 2 3  | Login | Join  | 

Audioindy.com

Mail discussion to a friend Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About 7161 forums Forum home New Topic

Forums   -   Drums / rhythms / programming

Subject: Are Akai MPC's too tight?

Viewing all 7 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

Original Message 1/7                 Date: 08-Mar-01  @  03:58 PM   -   Are Akai MPC's too tight?

Zak

Link?:  No link

File?:  No file

I've just bought an MPC after using an atari for 2 years. I'm currently doing A Levels (boring). Can someone please help me. When I used the atari I used to make the snare hits come in a couple of ticks earlier. I was told this makes your tunes have drive. The problem is that the smallest amount you can move things in the MPC is the equivilent of 10 ticks in say Logic. (The manual says the MPC has 96 ticks a quarter note). If I program say a bar and have the kicks on beat 1 and 3 on the bar and move the kick and snare on beats 2 and 4 to come in 1 tick earlier, is that bad programming and timming or is that how you build a push pull groove say like you hear on a Timo Maas record. Also I read on these pages how people only have their drums on 64ths. My MPC only goes to 32's. Have I made a bad purchase? And please don't say there are no rules in making music. There must be a few basic laws to making a rolling drum track. Ps I'm trying to make underground house. Thanx everyone.

[ back to forum ]               [quote]

Message 2/7                 Date: 08-Mar-01  @  06:30 PM   -   RE: Are Akai MPC's too tight?

k...er....

whoops! - so much for 'industry standard   - double the tempo timba style bro' - then run your track two bars to a bar double tempo to half the time and get double the resolution

Message 3/7                 Date: 08-Mar-01  @  07:05 PM   -   RE: Are Akai MPC's too tight?

Zak

Sorry K. I don't understand any of that. Can you re-explain in idiot language? Thanks mate.

Message 4/7                 Date: 08-Mar-01  @  09:41 PM   -   RE: Are Akai MPC's too tight?

Jasper

if you want a higher resolution.. instead of 140bpm.. use 280bpm. and place the kicks two kicks apart.. try it you'll see.

Message 5/7                 Date: 09-Mar-01  @  02:59 AM   -   RE: Are Akai MPC's too tight?

druma

if your drums use the mpc's sampler u have velocity to start modulation (a great creatif aid btw) or u can copy the sample and edit, its always cool to have multiple versions of your drums on your pads to spice up your drum-grove..yes it's all about u u u ...

Message 6/7                 Date: 11-Mar-01  @  04:18 AM   -   RE: Are Akai MPC's too tight?

sir hoyt

yes yes u got to double the tempo.mess with the
swing too!!!!!

Message 7/7                 Date: 15-Mar-01  @  05:40 PM   -   RE: Are Akai MPC's too tight?

jere doll

Link?:  Link

Go into step record and up to the right scroll though the ticks on the far right it goes up to 95.Is this what you looking for?-jere doll

Viewing all 7 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

There are 7 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum