0  |  skin: 1 2 3  | Login | Join  | 

Audioindy.com

Mail discussion to a friend Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About 7161 forums Forum home New Topic

Forums   -   Drums / rhythms / programming

Subject: anyone played with the Jomox Airbase99

Viewing all 12 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1 2

Original Message 1/12                 Date: 31-Jan-01  @  05:13 PM   -   anyone played with the Jomox Airbase99

djhippo303

Link?:  Link

File?:  No file

I'm not looking for perfect duplication of 808/909, just something that sounds good to augment my percussion tracks, this thing is relatively inexpensive so if any one has any comments I'd like to hear them

[ back to forum ]               [quote]

Message 2/12                 Date: 01-Feb-01  @  04:45 AM   -   RE: anyone played with the Jomox Airbase99

nobody

great kick.

nice useful snare, but noisy. noise after the decay. lots of it sometimes.

noisy toms. but, the toms suck anyway  

nice sampled sounds, really crisp snappish (or not) hats.

other than the noisy snare (i know, get a noise gate) yeah it rocks. if you have room in your mixer for all those outs. the kick is great did i mention that? ok

interface kinda sucks but you know what you're getting beforehand if you look at it ;)

Message 3/12                 Date: 01-Feb-01  @  10:43 AM   -   RE: anyone played with the Jomox Airbase99

Jubba

Link?:  No link

If your in the same position as me and want a 909 without that huge secondhand price the x-base is the only real alternative, and that kick "nobody" mentioned is fuckin great.

Message 4/12                 Date: 02-Feb-01  @  05:32 AM   -   RE: anyone played with the Jomox Airbase99

Pongoid

the kick from a Jomox is completely out of hand. The other sounds are nice, and the sequencer in the x-base is a blast, especially live, but nothing thumps like that thing. it actually makes the 909 look wimpy by comparison. The airbase has ten voice polyphony and filters for each voice, which makes it a little more versatile than the x-base, but no sequencer and accessing paramters is a little more of a pain, but in the studio, when you have time, it's great. Not so long ago, somebody was whining that they couldn't get the oomph out of it, but all I could figure was user error, and bad monitoring. I've got an X-base and will never get rid of it now. I've had it for six months and it's still getting cooler every day. Definately a piece to check out. Either one will serve you well.

Ape

Message 5/12                 Date: 13-Feb-01  @  04:48 PM   -   RE: anyone played with the Jomox Airbase99

Zimmer

Not as good as Novation Drumstation

Message 6/12                 Date: 13-Feb-01  @  05:34 PM   -   RE: anyone played with the Jomox Airbase99

djhippo303

Link?: Link

sorry, guess I should of mentioned that the drum tracks being augmented are created with a drumstation

Message 7/12                 Date: 17-Feb-01  @  05:38 AM   -   RE: anyone played with the Jomox Airbase99

Pongoid

You're either high as fuck or joking. The drumstation is a joke next to the Jomox. You're trying to compare some cheezy little digtal, dirt factory toy with a German analog hand-made gem. No contest dude.

Ape

Message 8/12                 Date: 17-Feb-01  @  08:58 AM   -   RE: anyone played with the Jomox Airbase99

pwagle

Go for the Airbase09 Phil ... from speaking with you before, the kick will be a nice addition ...won't have to route it through your compressor/fx much at all, like with you did with your less powerful sounding Drumstation.

Message 9/12                 Date: 17-Feb-01  @  07:15 PM   -   RE: anyone played with the Jomox Airbase99

Frostbyte

If all you need is the sound go for airbase. Now if your looking for an amazing drum (and bass and whatnot: it's got 3 extra seq. tracks) composition interface, definately go for the Xbase. you see, the Xbase is design to be the link between your head and the rest of your gear. Imo, it should be set up as master of everything. I see it as the heart of my set up, my MC-50 being the brain and my keyboard the hands.
The kick is humongous. I've never played a 909, but i'm pretty sure you won't miss one with this bad boy. Now as far as 808 goes, well... nothing quite sounds like an 8.0.8   The Xbase can do 808ish kicks, but it's not an 808. I know, I played with one and think i've succeded in psyching my friend into lending it to me. I now have to burn some incense and get some incantation rolling to get him to lend the Juno 60 with the DCB. Anyone has a good incantation for Junos ?

Message 10/12                 Date: 21-Feb-01  @  02:40 PM   -   RE: anyone played with the Jomox Airbase99

emtu

Hi,

the Airbase 99 is a killer in terms of analog drum
design, well, lacking knobs ? Go and get a MIDI knob
box (useable with any other MIDI gear, who can live without one anyway ?) with the money you saved from
buying a 909.
The Airbase works with Control Changes messages (no
MIDI overflow), designing kicks & snares is really fun
and straightfoward, tough sending MIDI notes and
CC at the same time is not always recommended on mine (early firmware rev. ?).

Separate outputs galore, but -as always- on the back of
the rack, once in a populated environment you better
know what you are plugging. I have bought a dedicated 12-channel MAM LM-122 mixer to solve this. and the lack
of internal stereo panning.
All in all a good investment.

Message 11/12                 Date: 21-Feb-01  @  09:46 PM   -   RE: anyone played with the Jomox Airbase99

Foo

So i'm assuming you can control the decay on the hats much like the tr 909. The tuning tone and snap of the Snare's and decay and tone of the kick? Does it have a ride cymbal? How do you feel the kick measures compared to the other jomox box, whatever that's called.

porkchop!

Message 12/12                 Date: 22-Feb-01  @  07:21 AM   -   RE: anyone played with the Jomox Airbase99

matthew50

Here ( http://soundepot.tripod.com/ ) you can download the Cakewalk StudioWare Panel for AiRBase99, so you can tweak your Airbase from Cakewalk. Also for the Q-309.

MP3 files will be added soon ...

Viewing all 12 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1 2

There are 12 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum