0  |  skin: 1 2 3  | Login | Join  | 

Audioindy.com

Mail discussion to a friend Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About 7161 forums Forum home New Topic

Forums   -   Drums / rhythms / programming

Subject: US Garage drum sounds

Viewing all 7 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

Original Message 1/7                 Date: 04-Dec-00  @  11:29 AM   -   US Garage drum sounds

Spom

Link?:  No link

File?:  No file

I've been trying to emulate the type of beats you hear on US Garage/House tracks produced by the likes of Masters of Work, Erick Morillo and the rest of the Subliminal posse and played by the likes of UK DJs like Norman Jay and Bobbi and Steve.
I can't seem to get any of the drum elements sounding right, from the kick through the snares, to the hats/shaker sound. I can get my beats swinging but they don't seem to roll like the real deal. Does anyone know if they use a particular drum machine to get the sound or am I missing something obvious?

Cheers if anyone knows anything about this sort of beat.

[ back to forum ]               [quote]

Message 2/7                 Date: 06-Dec-00  @  03:14 PM   -   RE: US Garage drum sounds

SB

Technicaly I can't help you but US House garage was my vinyl of choice as a DJ and as a result I have a lot of Strictly, MAW, Murk etc. records which I sample then do the following:

Drum sounds:
Try and find(as clean as possible) hits of BD,snares etc. that you like and chuck them in your sampler. Play them back in tandem with a drum machine and tweak the drum machine until they sound the same.

Patterns:
Take a loop from a track you like and study it in an audio prog visually to see where all the hits lie. This gives you your swing and details of where all the important little percussive elements are triggered.

Add your new drum sounds and create some stunning original loops of your own - easy!

Message 3/7                 Date: 06-Dec-00  @  05:37 PM   -   RE: US Garage drum sounds

Spom

Thanks for the tip - I knew I'd need to get my fingers dirty with recycle as some point! I guess good music should never be too simple to create.

Message 4/7                 Date: 08-Dec-00  @  11:38 PM   -   RE: US Garage drum sounds

k

you mean the latin house ?... is it the sounds or the beats ? -

Message 5/7                 Date: 13-Feb-01  @  03:12 PM   -   RE: US Garage drum sounds

steve

I now the problem you are having all too well. Groups like MAW are using a Particular drum machine to create those nice snappy drums as the drum hits that they use are too clean for it all to be down to production. Lord only knows which machine they use though. I have found that the Korg DDR or DDK drum machines produce the closest likeness.

Message 6/7                 Date: 13-Feb-01  @  06:43 PM   -   RE: US Garage drum sounds

r-tek

maw use an mpc60 ......an incredible studio apparently...

Message 7/7                 Date: 15-Feb-01  @  06:50 AM   -   RE: US Garage drum sounds

Omega

Link?: Link

Hmm...I'm more of a dnb programmer myself, but I've done some house and garage work too...The trick to garage is using tighter samples which several korg's and boss' drum machines seem to have. You can find several of these on analoguesamples.com. I even read somewhere that you can produce decent garage tracks using 808 sounds. For the groove I provided I wrote it using Boss DR-110 samples from analoguesamples.com.

Once you have the right samples, you have to loosen up and take a freer approach to the beat than you do for house. While house is usually made with a 909 set using a variation of a basic beat, with garage you can slap sounds pretty much anywhere, or you can stick with something that sounds more house-like, like the rhythm I stuck up there. And that doesn't apply to just hats, but with snares, cymbals, rim shots, whatever. Garage beats are more intricate than house (usually).

Of course, you do want to make sure you've decided on a "four to the floor" house type beat or a 2 step/UK garage beat, which is just a bass drum on 1/1 and 3/3 instead of the bass drum on 1/1,2/1,3/1,4/1 (or 1/1 and 3/1 if you're more minimalistic).

I know I wrote that kind of quick and crappy, but I hope it helps, I'll respond back later if anybody needs clarification.

Omega

P.S.- you can download the rhythm I provided with the Boss DR-110 at: http://chooser.mp3.com/cgi-bin/play/play.cgi/AAIAQgZxEwDABG5vcm1QBAAAAFLpwgIAUQEAAABDRDGLOnnYSI5psG3zPyruEBftK28-/garage_1.mp3

Viewing all 7 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

There are 7 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum