0  |  skin: 1 2 3  | Login | Join  | 

Audioindy.com

Mail discussion to a friend Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About 7161 forums Forum home New Topic

Forums   -   Drums / rhythms / programming

Subject: timbaland beats

Viewing all 71 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... 8

Original Message 1/71                 Date: 11-Jun-00  @  03:35 AM   -   timbaland beats

biogenik

Link?:  Link

File?:  No file

can someone post some timba-style beats.
all i know about his production is he uses a lot of 32nd and 64th notes.

[ back to forum ]               [quote]

Message 2/71                 Date: 11-Jun-00  @  07:43 AM   -   RE: timbaland beats

might have some beats

Link?:  No link

Are you down with the Dirty South?

Message 3/71                 Date: 12-Jun-00  @  10:30 AM   -   RE: timbaland beats

P_van_der_weide

This is the beat from Aaliyah's try again wich is produced by Timbaland. It consist's of 4 bars but with a lot of variation every time they are repeated. The first three lines are bar 1, the second three lines are bar 2.

Message 4/71                 Date: 12-Jun-00  @  10:35 AM   -   RE: timbaland beats

P_van_der_Weide

Here are the third and fourth bar.

Message 5/71                 Date: 12-Jun-00  @  12:49 PM   -   RE: timbaland beats

biogenik

thanks mate,
if any one else has any timba beats or tips on creating the dirty south beats or basslines, please post them!!

Message 6/71                 Date: 13-Jun-00  @  02:26 PM   -   RE: timbaland beats

biogenik

anyone heard timbas new track?
i was just wondering if anyone knows what synths timba uses for his dirty south basslines.

Message 7/71                 Date: 13-Jun-00  @  06:52 PM   -   RE: timbaland beats

H

First things first stop trying to make dirty south if your not from the south.Call it syncopated beats.You wouldn't tell everyone you represent Brooklyn if you were from Texas or maybe you would.Why the fuck does everybody want to sound like someone else?It's about pimpin,playin,flossin ,glossin,and a side of shrimp.I,m sure he uses analog synthesizers.If you want to really know about the DS your just gonna have to come down here and hook up w/ about any rap crew and they can show you how it's done.All I know is I'm glad he's around to help all us other funky mfs get some much needed exposure down here in this sweltering ass hole.You need flava baby flava.

Message 8/71                 Date: 13-Jun-00  @  08:05 PM   -   RE: timbaland beats

k

do you have any url's where there is some timbaland real audio (preferably)or mp3 (streaming or small files). i'd like to hear some more and all the links i followed were dead ?

Message 9/71                 Date: 14-Jun-00  @  08:51 AM   -   RE: timbaland beats

H

Boy you guys sure do want those DS beats,well I can tell you that the secret is stupid simple but it's not very logical.I'm not even sure why it works this way but it just does.I engineer Hip Hop as my day job right here in the ole Dirty South and these producers really have a strange way of approaching beat production.Every good studio down here uses an MPC for beats.I've got a buddy that works in Charlotte and he actually went to timba's studio I'll give him a ring and try to find out what synths he uses.He told me about the setup 3 or 4 yrs ago but I just sort of spaced it.I do know that his rig is fuckin huge so there probably isn't any 1 synth he uses.If anyone is interested in DS promo vinyl I can put you in touch w/ the record shops that can help you out.As for that beat secret,considering that it's such a weird concept,if I tell you guys you'll probably rip my head off.

Message 10/71                 Date: 14-Jun-00  @  09:05 AM   -   RE: timbaland beats

hajee

H, tell us then. We luv secrets.

Message 11/71                 Date: 14-Jun-00  @  01:21 PM   -   RE: timbaland beats

H

it's really quite kooky.I'm not sure your ready for something so simple after all it is OUR sound you know and we really haven't had our own shot at the limelight because everyone thinks southerners are stupid even people here on this site have called me a retard because they checked my ip address and made a generalization.You probably wouldn't believe me if I told you.You know you brits were not too keen on letting out your drum and bass secrets and you still aren't.Maybe you should get James Bond to extract it from me.y'all come back now you hear.

Message 12/71                 Date: 14-Jun-00  @  01:38 PM   -   RE: timbaland beats

H

Oh yeah by the way there is an underground hip hop scene here that is better than the radio shit.I aint dissin timba though he is an originator.

Message 13/71                 Date: 17-Jun-00  @  09:42 AM   -   RE: timbaland beats

H

i'm in the mood to tell.Does anyone care?

Message 14/71                 Date: 17-Jun-00  @  10:37 AM   -   RE: timbaland beats

k

still want a link to some other Timba .ra files or mpegs, c'mon ??... i aint got time to search 'em out right now...

Message 15/71                 Date: 17-Jun-00  @  12:40 PM   -   RE: timbaland beats

H

Do you want just Timba or other DS shit too?

Message 16/71                 Date: 19-Jun-00  @  04:02 PM   -   RE: timbaland beats

a stupid brooklynite

I wanna hear that secret. a producer from GA once told me everyone was doing a lot of random playing and then quantizing it.

Message 17/71                 Date: 20-Jun-00  @  09:29 PM   -   RE: timbaland beats

k

timba please

Message 18/71                 Date: 20-Jun-00  @  09:33 PM   -   RE: timbaland beats

H

That's part of it ;)

Message 19/71                 Date: 24-Jun-00  @  12:59 AM   -   RE: timbaland beats

lesterbeat

Yo- give it up! the kick +snare patterns are easy enuf
to cop, but what's all the other noises- shakers, zips,
zap

Message 20/71                 Date: 24-Jun-00  @  08:34 AM   -   RE: timbaland beats

r-tek

I heard he uses an mpc3000 and Technics wsa1r, I`m not too keen on it meself - surely its just a case of listen and learn tho? It dont sound too difficult, it just has an irregular pattern like some of the more staccato jungle.

Message 21/71                 Date: 29-Jun-00  @  05:28 PM   -   RE: Dirty South Secrets Revealed!

blaknoize

Step 1. Listen to UK jungle/drum & bass/trip-hop
Step 2. Try to copy it without a clue as to how it's actually done.

(That's what I thought when I first heard Timbaland - 'nuff respect all the same)

Message 22/71                 Date: 30-Jun-00  @  08:21 AM   -   RE: timbaland beats

P_van_der_Weide

Why does it matter what gear timbaland uses or how he makes his tracks. It isn't the gear or the studio, it's timbaland himself who creates those beats. He could have done it with most samplers or synths. The reason why his beats sound great is because he isn't trying to copy someone. He is being an original, he is doing his own thing and he is good at it. So instead of figuring who uses what gear, try to get the most out of the gear you already own. After all it's not about the kitchen, it's about the cook who's in the kitchen.

Message 23/71                 Date: 30-Jun-00  @  08:48 AM   -   RE: timbaland beats

damballah

A-f*cking-men

Message 24/71                 Date: 30-Jun-00  @  09:17 AM   -   RE: timbaland beats

k

still waiting for some timba real audio or mpg links please?..

Message 25/71                 Date: 30-Jun-00  @  10:44 AM   -   RE: timbaland beats

suggestion?

You could by the album?

Message 26/71                 Date: 30-Jun-00  @  10:45 AM   -   RE: timbaland beats

suggestion?

You could just buy the album?

Message 27/71                 Date: 30-Jun-00  @  11:50 PM   -   RE: timbaland beats

lester

sure it is the cook not the kitchen-
but i thought this forum was to share ideas and insights-

Message 28/71                 Date: 01-Jul-00  @  09:27 AM   -   RE: timbaland beats

H

Are you accusing me of not sharing?Why don't you just
divide your tempo in half,put your quantize on 32 and
try to make them now.It's how da niggaz do i

Message 29/71                 Date: 01-Jul-00  @  09:30 AM   -   RE: timbaland beats

H

it

Message 30/71                 Date: 03-Jul-00  @  01:37 PM   -   RE: timbaland beats

k

oh.... that old shit !!.... man, that not a USA 'south' thing.... i've been doin that for years and years WHEN I HAVE TO, like everyone else (isnt everyone??).... it's originated purely down to syncing the loop beat at a slow enuff tempo... *sigh* - it's a pre/non-timestretch issue thing, also it is down to working on sequencers without a hi enuff res'.. plus.. 'timestretch' live with decks??... nah....

as to the ra/mpg beatz - i just want some Timba beats so i can reproduce 'em and add 'em to the midifiles.... i'll be fucked if i'm gonna buy an album !!! (preposterous idea !!!! :-)... actually, the request was more for the original poster... since he asked about it.... heh heh...

Message 31/71                 Date: 04-Jul-00  @  11:34 AM   -   RE: timbaland beats

r-tek

not buying the album would b a very wise investment methinks ;-)

Message 32/71                 Date: 04-Jul-00  @  12:15 PM   -   RE: timbaland beats

k

agreed...

Message 33/71                 Date: 07-Jul-00  @  06:23 AM   -   RE: timbaland beats

k

still waiting for those links... *yawn*

Message 34/71                 Date: 08-Jul-00  @  12:08 PM   -   RE: timbaland beats

deltasleep

seems to me you could just lay down random drum patterns, and then just accent on the typical boom chick....bomchick points. I'm gonna go try that.... i'll tell you all if it worked. hey H i'd love to hear those secrets, i'm in nashville, dirty south.....sorta.

Message 35/71                 Date: 10-Jul-00  @  09:37 AM   -   RE: timbaland beats

k

yes, but i specifically wanted to copy beats from named tracks as examples.

Message 36/71                 Date: 11-Jul-00  @  01:16 AM   -   RE: timbaland beats

--------outkast----------

Hey I'm from GEORGIA...that's the dirty muthafuckin' BEEOTCH!!!

Message 37/71                 Date: 12-Jul-00  @  04:37 PM   -   RE: timbaland beats

deltasleep

georgia is indeed the dirty south. i hear alot of dirty south nonsense coming from cars, all i can say is i miss the Rodney O and Joe Cooley/Sway and King tech days. it was all so much less brutal then, it was still cool, but it wasn't so damn obscene, then the geto boyz come along.....

Message 38/71                 Date: 01-Aug-00  @  07:42 AM   -   RE: timbaland beats

rasputin_jr.

i think that timbaland is unique with his style but today most of the music in every genre - whether techno , hip hop or jungle sounds similar, what i suggest is that let the beat be DS, but develop your special baseline or specific sound by which you will be recognized. peace....

Message 39/71                 Date: 01-Sep-00  @  07:21 PM   -   RE: timbaland beats

realtrance

Just listening, I'd guess the main thing behind the DS sound is:

1. Incredible talent and attention to detail; and
2. Having a long history of music-making you've been paying attention to (stuffy people would call it "tradition") registered deep in your synapses from close study.

Then whatever equipment comes to hand to take 1. and 2. above and put 'em together with.

I REALLY agree with the proposal to do DS if you're DS, and to do something else if you're something else. If you study DS long enough and hard enough, you are DS and can do it, same with anything else. Harder to come by the tradition if you're in Norway, but not entirely impossible.

rt

Message 40/71                 Date: 21-Sep-00  @  08:02 PM   -   RE: timbaland beats

H

I didn't mean slow down a loop.You program the beat w/
individual hits not
loops................................

Message 41/71                 Date: 24-Sep-00  @  11:08 AM   -   RE: timbaland beats

k

this has moved over to the thread: 'Timbo drum programming'

Message 42/71                 Date: 26-Oct-00  @  01:52 AM   -   RE: timbaland beats

bldollar10

Yeah timbaland is alright but there is another crew from the dirty south with 2 producers 10 times better than him. They call themselves killa b and b money and boy their shit is off the hanger! Be on the look out for killajam sound because i know those mutherfuckers will have a major deal soon!

Message 43/71                 Date: 26-Oct-00  @  01:52 AM   -   RE: timbaland beats

bldollar10

Yeah timbaland is alright but there is another crew from the dirty south with 2 producers 10 times better than him. They call themselves killa b and b money and boy their shit is off the hanger! Be on the look out for killajam sound because i know those mutherfuckers will have a major deal soon!

Message 44/71                 Date: 03-Nov-00  @  10:32 PM   -   RE: timbaland beats

hellokitty.com

src="

click to listen

back for the first time …

Message 45/71                 Date: 03-Nov-00  @  11:16 PM   -   RE: timbaland beats

good job with the html, dumbshit

Message 46/71                 Date: 15-Nov-00  @  02:44 PM   -   RE: timbaland beats Bla BLa BLa-STEELY DAN

STEELY DAN

Link?: Link

ONLY A FOOL WOULD SAY THAT...

It aint no big deal, you bastads.

GRITTY LONDON LOWLIFES

WE DO IT BEST!!!!!

MUD FAM

TASK FORCE>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

WWW.LOWLIFERECORDS.CO.UK

FUKERS.

Message 47/71                 Date: 15-Nov-00  @  02:45 PM   -   RE: timbaland beats Bla BLa BLa-STEELY DAN

STEELY DAN

ONLY A FOOL WOULD SAY THAT...

It aint no big deal, you bastads.

GRITTY LONDON LOWLIFES

WE DO IT BEST!!!!!

MUD FAM

TASK FORCE>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

WWW.LOWLIFERECORDS.CO.UK

FUKERS.

Message 48/71                 Date: 15-Nov-00  @  10:16 PM   -   RE: timbaland beats

gawaineparker

I'm not too familiar with what Timbaland's music apart from his major releases but it sound's like he's playing with a sixteenth triplet feel, similar to two step's bumpy groove albeit a bit faster in tempo.

Message 49/71                 Date: 16-Nov-00  @  03:44 AM   -   RE: timbaland beats

k

is he slaggin Brit music?.. or saying it is better??.. it's hard to tell

Message 50/71                 Date: 16-Nov-00  @  03:16 PM   -   RE: timbaland beats

gawaineparker

sorry,I didn't realise this forum was an atlantic slagging match, I assumed it was about music, silly me.

Message 51/71                 Date: 17-Nov-00  @  01:46 AM   -   RE: timbaland beats

k

well british hiphop just doesnt do it for me anyways

Message 52/71                 Date: 28-Nov-00  @  01:04 AM   -   RE: timbaland beats

bigpimp

i hear some of killajam music and you were right it is off the hanger. I was in new orleans last week and i hear that song they did with lil souja (the first guy to rap on beelow's big body)and it was tight ass hell. i hope that they get a deal soon because they world is missing out. Personally i think that they make way better beats than timbaland and i when you hear this shit you are going to agree

Message 53/71                 Date: 28-Nov-00  @  01:05 AM   -   RE: timbaland beats

bigpimp

i hear some of killajam music and you were right it is off the hanger. I was in new orleans last week and i hear that song they did with lil souja (the first guy to rap on beelow's big body)and it was tight ass hell. i hope that they get a deal soon because they world is missing out. Personally i think that they make way better beats than timbaland and i when you hear this shit you are going to agree

Message 54/71                 Date: 28-Nov-00  @  01:08 AM   -   RE: timbaland beats

bigpimp

i head some of killajams music and you were right it is off the hanger. I was in new orleans last week and i hear that song they did with lil souja (the first guy to rap on beelow's big body)and it was tight ass hell. i hope that they get a deal soon because they world is missing out. Personally i think that they make way better beats than timbaland and i when you hear this shit you are going to agree

Message 55/71                 Date: 30-Nov-00  @  04:43 PM   -   RE: timbaland beats

atebit

In regards to timbaland and the sixthteenth triplet deal, hardly any of timba's stuff has any triplets in it, i think i have only heard it in about two tracks. The syncopation is all sixteenth and thirty second notes. He is the master of space, that is the way he does it. One of the few tracks in triplets is his cover with Ginuine of "when doves cry" (prince).

Message 56/71                 Date: 01-Dec-00  @  08:02 PM   -   RE: timbaland beats

moke34

I heared that song in New Orleans too and it is tight as fuck. That beat is one of the best that I have heard for a song like that. the song started off with that quy souja off of beelow's song ( i had already ) and the second was another guy from new orleans. After the scond verse and the chours that is where the killajam boys came into play this cat named repar j came in talking about how he is 17 with 4 cars his verse was the shit, then came this cat called DCM and his verse was tight as fuck. Thinking that the song was about done I started to walk off and then b money started rapping and it was also tight as fuck I then thought i would hear killa b come in but i guess he just sit out on this track he must have made that hot ass beat. Yall did not even say that b money even rapped, but come to find out it was his song and he his working on a solo. No offense Tim but them mutherfuckers make way better beats then you and there rappers are 10 times better than yours.(all this is after 1 song) I hope that shit comes out soon

Message 57/71                 Date: 03-Dec-00  @  03:21 PM   -   RE: timbaland beats

atebit

Where can i hear some killajam stuff, i live in australia, but love to hear new future beats.

timba rocks me hard, but am up to hear some new stuff!!

Message 58/71                 Date: 04-Dec-00  @  01:07 AM   -   RE: timbaland beats

Substrata

I'm A Drum & Bass producer. I don't really listen to that much Hip Hop but, If you really want to learn how to make timbas beats. You should sample a beat from timba and put that loop in recycle and Extract the midi timeing of it and study it. See the note placement and most important the actual timeing of the note placements. If the groove was straight quantized. It would'nt have any live looseness. It would sound very computerized. I know a lot of the Hip Hop producers are useing gear like Mpc3000, mpc60, Emu sp1200, Linn9000 and other Mpc series. Hope that helps.

Message 59/71                 Date: 04-Dec-00  @  09:38 PM   -   RE: timbaland beats

gangst

did yer get yer timbas K ?
Ghengis

Message 60/71                 Date: 05-Dec-00  @  08:00 PM   -   RE: timbaland beats

k

um... is that GHENGIS 'G' STRING (twang!) from Dusseldorf by any chance ?

yeah i did get a few, and to me 100% it sounds as the guy further up said that he's programming most beats based on a double-tempo/double-time grid... so if you did import to recycle you need to double the tempo & double the quantise structure... to me it is coming out of a certain s-american & carribean influence for sure...

Message 61/71                 Date: 16-Dec-00  @  09:22 AM   -   RE: timbaland beats

thelaw

alright, people... there seems to have been a lot of discussion on this issue, so let me try to add some clarification. In high school, I played on a drum line for a year. if you look at the drum line music, what makes a beat so captiviting is not the hits on the beat, but those that are 'off'. If you listen to Timbo's music, what makes his style definitive are the randomly placed 16th note hits and doubles. i make beats myself (note for note from scratch no drum machine): it's not about 'method' or 'strategy' but how it sounds when you are done. So for all who want to make beats like Timbo, be creative with the 16th placement and tweak it 'till it sounds cool.

Message 62/71                 Date: 19-Dec-00  @  03:37 AM   -   RE: timbaland beats

k

yeah, but it's doubling the tempo & effectively getting twice the note resolution per bar/double speed click in terms of feel that's HOW he is getting that fluid feel...

it's a reggea thing it's coming out of imho, i wouldnt mind betting his influence is strong with s/american/carribean beats, so it's similar like to ragga/jungle in that the top end/hats etc are 'countable' at double time in reggea which few people understand, which is where the massive drum variations come from... in ragga/jungle the kik & snare just doubled up too so the whole beat sped up by almost twice (ragga & jungle are basicaly double 'roots' reggea BPM tempo), whereas in reggea the kik & drum are in effect played at half/time if you 'think' in double time beats...

so when you're playing that sorta feel as a drummer in a jam, you can slip between half/time & full time beat in your mind as you play/programme to get the variations. does that make any sense?... er..

Message 63/71                 Date: 19-Dec-00  @  08:48 PM   -   RE: timbaland beats

G

I'm not sure I understand about the doubling of the
bpm.? music that feels good (dub .roots, r&b,etc) at
whatever tempo is counted differently by different
musicians. Whether you happen to feel the 1/8th, the
1/16th . or the triplet it is individual.And if the
music is Quantized how does a double bpm affect the
feel?

Message 64/71                 Date: 25-Dec-00  @  04:03 AM   -   RE: timbaland beats

BJT

Do U mean Doubling the tempo to fit in 32nd notes?

Message 65/71                 Date: 11-Jan-01  @  05:30 AM   -   RE: timbaland beats

KRUNKBEATS

Im not tim but I got some dirty south beats click below to here also I know that before tim got big he used a ASR 10 im sure he has everything now check out the track called ZONE it's got a different beat pattern peace

DJ EDGE WWW.KRUNKBEATS.COM

border=0 src="http://images.mp3.com/mp3s/60/dj_edge/image.jpg">

Message 66/71                 Date: 12-Jan-01  @  11:16 PM   -   RE: timbaland beats

gorilla

I dont want to sound like a total ass here, but Im trying to get into this beat making stuff. I got a lot of money and time to spend so if anyone out there is down to earth enough to tell a beginner where to start it would be alot of help.

Message 67/71                 Date: 18-Jan-01  @  01:05 AM   -   RE: timbaland beats

dymondandrew

just read through the thread, nice topic...

I play drums and do jungle splicing, drum machine programming, and really dig Timbaland's beats. I don't think that quantizing has anything to do with it. I bet he plays those things off the top of his head, just hitting the keys on his midi keyboard, he knows what he wants and he plays it. There are some drummers that have a way with the beat like that, Zigaboo Modeliste from the meters is worth listening too if you like wierd funky accents, some old skatelites have the same half-time/double-time rythm tricks in the drumming, and some dub records that I'm unable to name, but Timbaland definately has a style of his own the stop/start-accelerate/brake unfunky funk, he has created a new beat language. I'm trying to understand how these things work and apply them to my playing, and it all comes down to (stating the obvious here) leaving space and playing with half time/double time, playing on that fine line so that it's never quite one or the other. I'm kind of frustrated that aphex twin hasn't blown everyone away yet with what he could do with these beats, because most of the songs that these beats are pushing are fully disposable.
My humble attempt at using these beats in a live band can be heard at mp3.com/plod ,which is a trio - cello, violin, drums (go on check it out ;) )

Among my favorite beats are destiny's childs 'get on the bus', that bass drum fill...
and j majik - your sound (I'm a sucker for just about any spliced up amen break, which reminds me that I found an interview with Timbaland where he says that he's never heard any jungle or drum'n'bass...hmmm).

4ndy

Message 68/71                 Date: 18-Jan-01  @  01:51 AM   -   RE: timbaland beats

k

ok hang on... mess with the tempo - the hat on the beat is accented - the 'leading-in' two hats before each on the beat each increase in velocity before the main mean.... you need to copy this pattern twice to make one longer pattern... then vary the next footdrum in part B so it falls on beat 2... play it in a loop.. part_A & part B... and it sounds like it's 80bpm with the kik & snare... but the hats say 160... 'double time'... there is your fluidity - it's a reggea/ragga/jungle/drums thing.

Message 69/71                 Date: 18-Jan-01  @  01:54 AM   -   RE: timbaland beats

k

sorry... thats impossible to get, the first bit about velocity... ok

beat_1_1 - Vel = 127

beat_1_2 - blank

beat_1_3 - vel = 60 ish

beat_1_4 - vel = 90 ish

beat_2_1 - vel = 127

etc

Message 70/71                 Date: 18-Jan-01  @  10:59 PM   -   RE: timbaland beats

k

funnily enuff, exactly on the subject, my boy came over today and we mixed his vst song he brought on a disc & added vocals - .. anyways - his beats are tuff!!... and have that same characteristics as we are talking above.. it was rnb we were doing with a brit garage crossover style vocals. i'll try to get an ra file of it up to listen too

Message 71/71                 Date: 19-Jan-01  @  12:31 AM   -   RE: timbaland beats

k

try that link

Viewing all 71 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... 8

There are 71 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum