0  |  skin: 1 2 3  | Login | Join  | 

Audioindy.com

Mail discussion to a friend Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About 7161 forums Forum home New Topic

Forums   -   Theory / composition / technique

Subject: A little something to break the monotony

Viewing all 2 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

Original Message 1/2                 Date: 01-Apr-00  @  04:44 AM   -   A little something to break the monotony

cjbmusictheory

Link?:  No link

File?:  No file

Can anybody help me out with a little problem I have.
I've basically just written a simple little tune that repeats the following chord sequence.
--------------------------------
Cmin (C Eb G)
Cmin
Cmin
Cmin
Bb (Bb D F)
Bb
G (G B D)
??? (B D F)
-----------------------------------

It sounds O.K, but I want to change the tune half way through, and would like to put some sort of bridge/ change of chord pattern in, but I can't find any that fit. Playing different inversions of those chords sounds quite nice, but isn't what I'm looking for.

This is a general problem for me (not just this tune).
I've got hundreds of nice chord patterns, but to get them to sound O.K in electronic music I usually only use two or four chords.

Can anybody shed some light on this situation, how would I go about finding or working out such 'bridges'. I've heard that using relative minors can be useful but I've not had any luck, and would really like to make my tunes a little more complicated than the same bloody chords repeating over and over and over and over and over . . . . . . .
How the hell do Aire come up with those patterns and melodies anyway ?

P.S. - Does anyone know what that last chord is, or what key is associated with that chord pattern ?

[ back to forum ]               [quote]

Message 2/2                 Date: 01-Apr-00  @  02:20 PM   -   RE: A little something to break the monotony

damballah

Link?:  Link

File?:  File

Bbfunk.mid

C C# D D# E F F# G G# A A# B C C# D D# E F F# G G# A A# B C C# D D# E F F# G G# A A# B C

Here, try this. I'm assuming your key is B flat and you're substituting a G major for a G minor which sounds kind of cool and for the mystery chord, you're just going to G7 and dropping the root (or you could call it Bm dim, B minor with a flatted 5th). In the little midi I'm sending, for the chorus or bridge, it goes from the G7 at bar 16 to:

|F///|F///|Bb///|G///|F///|F///|Bb///|G/Bb/|

One way of figuring where to go with something is to reduce it to a simple line based on the root notes. Hum or sing that to yourself. Figure out where to go that way, then harmonize it.

[ back to forum ]               [quote]

Viewing all 2 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

There are 2 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum