0  |  skin: 1 2 3  | Login | Join  | 

Audioindy.com

Mail discussion to a friend Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About 7161 forums Forum home New Topic

Forums   -   Theory / composition / technique

Subject: some 70s notes

Viewing all 14 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1 2

Original Message 1/14                 Date: 08-Mar-00  @  10:08 PM   -   some 70s notes

sage

Link?:  Link

File?:  No file

i hear some old 70's notes that sound pretty funky and i would like to play them. so if anyone knows some of the notes or chords it would be very cool if you posted them  

[ back to forum ]               [quote]

Message 2/14                 Date: 08-Mar-00  @  11:32 PM   -   RE: some 70s notes

damballah

More specifically...

Artists, styles, songs...

Kool and the Gang, Sex Pistols, Pink Floyd, Steely Dan, Focus, Parliament/Funkadelic, Lou Reed, Led Zeppelin, War, Santana, Stevie Wonder, Eagles, Earth Wind and Fire, Fleetwood Freakin Mac are all 70s artists. And there are others...

Message 3/14                 Date: 08-Mar-00  @  11:37 PM   -   RE: some 70s notes

damballah

It might also be the instruments they were played on. Rhodes, Wurlis, Clavinets, overdriven B3s plus early moogs, oberheims, arps and prophets. And mellotrons. Again, who are you interested in?

Message 4/14                 Date: 09-Mar-00  @  05:28 PM   -   RE: some 70s notes

sage

Link?:  No link

hmm... i dont think what i am talking about was made by those artist, but i will check up on the few names you said that i have not heard. the sound i am talking about is more of a bass line, i usually here it with a bass synth sound. i also hear it done on a horn... a trumpet. sort something like "buh-bum muhhh muhh bum bubb-ha" which is usually done on the horns. i dont think it is disco, but it may have been used in disco... oh well i am trying to figure it out, and if i do i will post it, but if you ppl know more... post it

Message 5/14                 Date: 10-Mar-00  @  09:18 PM   -   RE: some 70s notes

k

"buh-bum muhhh muhh bum bubb-ha" - ????

Message 6/14                 Date: 10-Mar-00  @  09:36 PM   -   RE: some 70s notes

damballah

Yeah! What notes are they? SAGE NEEDS TO KNOW!!!!

I've narrowed it down to the ones highlighted above.

Message 7/14                 Date: 11-Mar-00  @  03:41 AM   -   RE: some 70s notes

nobody

Any scale can be made funky, as it's in the syncopation of catching the upbeat. Are you talking Goerge clinton style Butsy Collins bass lines? They ran a lot of those through an overdrive and a talk box to give the bass it's vocal like presence.As for notes,a lot of clintons stuff is in Eb. Take the Eb flat chord, and minor it. Use those notes for your bass line and throw in the 7th note in the scale and lower it a have step. now your making the bass line out of the eb7dim I think?. use those 4 notes and now you're useing mode like progresion similar to Herbie Handkock's style, and run down through the scale for breaks and up for pick ups after a rest. let your ear do the work. Funky means random and always changing. There is one way. Find an artist you'er refering to and get there sheat music or midi files.Look in the back of a keyboard mag and there are ton of midi dealers who sell files from artist of past era's.

Message 8/14                 Date: 11-Mar-00  @  06:11 PM   -   RE: some 70s notes

nobody

please don't use the name nobody here..  

Message 9/14                 Date: 14-Mar-00  @  03:00 PM   -   RE: some 70s notes

AK

-----------------
A-AAAAAAD-DE-EEE [x3]
A-AAD-DDAAAAAAAA
Repeat [x2]

D-DD-DDDD-DD-DDD
A-AAAAAAD-DA-AAA
D-DD-DDDD-DD-DDD
B-BB-BBBD-DE-EEE

Repeat all
-----------------
There you go. The full bassline to "Blitzkrieg Bop" by the Ramones. It was made in the 70's and it isn't disco. But I guess it's not so funky either. It should preferrably be played on bass guitar, not synth or horns.

You gotta love this thread =)

Message 10/14                 Date: 18-Mar-00  @  07:35 PM   -   RE: some 70s notes

sage

hmmm... i just got back home... hmmm. i guess i may have been a little broad in what i was asking, but what i was asking is what "nobody@aol.com" said, thanks man; and i guess your email is someone elses name... and the note i put on the grid is my buh-bum muhhh muhh bum bubb-ha. but oh well and haha

Message 11/14                 Date: 19-Mar-00  @  09:32 AM   -   RE: some 70s notes

Skoob

As mentioned, funk is all about rythmn. Basslines sort-of move in octaves, remember all those 7ths and chromatic leading notes. Jazz is a very good influence to learn from - lots of those 7th, 9th, and 11th jazz chords are put to great use in funk. I mean, take contemporary Jamiroquai: OK, so you may snort at the name, but to learn musical structure from, it's great: 9ths and 11th all over the joint. And flatttened bits.

Basically, the 70s chord is NOT a rock one: flatten stuff, diminish stuff, augment stuff, and add tensions. And then you get cool.

One final thing: great chord to use is the 7flat9, often known as the "Hendrix Chord". It's what's used on many of his tracks: it contains both the major and minor 3rds, and as such is great for key changes. I've illustrated it below in C.

That probably wasn't much help, but a few tips for you to look into. Funk comes easy if you've played jazz. And if you have any sense of rythmn.

Message 12/14                 Date: 19-Mar-00  @  08:55 PM   -   RE: some 70s notes

Pongoid

You want the funk? You need to live it, dude. The real funk, I mean. Immerse yourself in it for years. Eat it breathe it sleep it. It ain't easy, and it ain't always fun, but it pays off. Much more than a few notes and words on a computer screen. A machine does not funk make. Funk comes from the soul, so what you need to do is take some time, and listen to that part of the soul that others have tappe into, and find out where that part is within you, and that only comes from doin it, not readin about it, not talkin about it, doin it. Good luck.

Ape

PS Seek and ye shall find. Funk is everywhere.

Message 13/14                 Date: 20-Mar-00  @  02:00 PM   -   RE: some 70s notes

jj

I got funk in my trunk.

Message 14/14                 Date: 21-Mar-00  @  03:36 AM   -   RE: some 70s notes

jojo the dog faced boy

I would like some funk in my trunk.
i would not like it in a hunk
i would not like it in my bunk
but most of all i would like some funk
some funk which goes clunk clunk clunk

Sorry the spirit of Dr Zeus overcame me :p

Viewing all 14 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1 2

There are 14 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum