0  |  skin: 1 2 3  | Login | Join  | 

Audioindy.com

Mail discussion to a friend Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About 7161 forums Forum home New Topic

Forums   -   Drums / rhythms / programming

Subject: timbaland beats

Pages: 1 ... 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Original Message                 Date: 11-Jun-00  @  03:35 AM   -   timbaland beats

biogenik

Link?:  Link
File?:  No file

can someone post some timba-style beats.
all i know about his production is he uses a lot of 32nd and 64th notes.

[ back to forum ]                           [quote]

Message 61/71                 Date: 16-Dec-00  @  09:22 AM   -   RE: timbaland beats

thelaw

Link?:  No link

alright, people... there seems to have been a lot of discussion on this issue, so let me try to add some clarification. In high school, I played on a drum line for a year. if you look at the drum line music, what makes a beat so captiviting is not the hits on the beat, but those that are 'off'. If you listen to Timbo's music, what makes his style definitive are the randomly placed 16th note hits and doubles. i make beats myself (note for note from scratch no drum machine): it's not about 'method' or 'strategy' but how it sounds when you are done. So for all who want to make beats like Timbo, be creative with the 16th placement and tweak it 'till it sounds cool.

[ back to forum ]               [quote]

Message 62/71                 Date: 19-Dec-00  @  03:37 AM   -   RE: timbaland beats

k

yeah, but it's doubling the tempo & effectively getting twice the note resolution per bar/double speed click in terms of feel that's HOW he is getting that fluid feel...

it's a reggea thing it's coming out of imho, i wouldnt mind betting his influence is strong with s/american/carribean beats, so it's similar like to ragga/jungle in that the top end/hats etc are 'countable' at double time in reggea which few people understand, which is where the massive drum variations come from... in ragga/jungle the kik & snare just doubled up too so the whole beat sped up by almost twice (ragga & jungle are basicaly double 'roots' reggea BPM tempo), whereas in reggea the kik & drum are in effect played at half/time if you 'think' in double time beats...

so when you're playing that sorta feel as a drummer in a jam, you can slip between half/time & full time beat in your mind as you play/programme to get the variations. does that make any sense?... er..

Message 63/71                 Date: 19-Dec-00  @  08:48 PM   -   RE: timbaland beats

G

I'm not sure I understand about the doubling of the
bpm.? music that feels good (dub .roots, r&b,etc) at
whatever tempo is counted differently by different
musicians. Whether you happen to feel the 1/8th, the
1/16th . or the triplet it is individual.And if the
music is Quantized how does a double bpm affect the
feel?

Message 64/71                 Date: 25-Dec-00  @  04:03 AM   -   RE: timbaland beats

BJT

Do U mean Doubling the tempo to fit in 32nd notes?

Message 65/71                 Date: 11-Jan-01  @  05:30 AM   -   RE: timbaland beats

KRUNKBEATS

Link?: Link

Im not tim but I got some dirty south beats click below to here also I know that before tim got big he used a ASR 10 im sure he has everything now check out the track called ZONE it's got a different beat pattern peace

DJ EDGE WWW.KRUNKBEATS.COM

border=0 src="http://images.mp3.com/mp3s/60/dj_edge/image.jpg">

Message 66/71                 Date: 12-Jan-01  @  11:16 PM   -   RE: timbaland beats

gorilla

I dont want to sound like a total ass here, but Im trying to get into this beat making stuff. I got a lot of money and time to spend so if anyone out there is down to earth enough to tell a beginner where to start it would be alot of help.

Message 67/71                 Date: 18-Jan-01  @  01:05 AM   -   RE: timbaland beats

dymondandrew

Link?: Link

just read through the thread, nice topic...

I play drums and do jungle splicing, drum machine programming, and really dig Timbaland's beats. I don't think that quantizing has anything to do with it. I bet he plays those things off the top of his head, just hitting the keys on his midi keyboard, he knows what he wants and he plays it. There are some drummers that have a way with the beat like that, Zigaboo Modeliste from the meters is worth listening too if you like wierd funky accents, some old skatelites have the same half-time/double-time rythm tricks in the drumming, and some dub records that I'm unable to name, but Timbaland definately has a style of his own the stop/start-accelerate/brake unfunky funk, he has created a new beat language. I'm trying to understand how these things work and apply them to my playing, and it all comes down to (stating the obvious here) leaving space and playing with half time/double time, playing on that fine line so that it's never quite one or the other. I'm kind of frustrated that aphex twin hasn't blown everyone away yet with what he could do with these beats, because most of the songs that these beats are pushing are fully disposable.
My humble attempt at using these beats in a live band can be heard at mp3.com/plod ,which is a trio - cello, violin, drums (go on check it out ;) )

Among my favorite beats are destiny's childs 'get on the bus', that bass drum fill...
and j majik - your sound (I'm a sucker for just about any spliced up amen break, which reminds me that I found an interview with Timbaland where he says that he's never heard any jungle or drum'n'bass...hmmm).

4ndy

Message 68/71                 Date: 18-Jan-01  @  01:51 AM   -   RE: timbaland beats

k

ok hang on... mess with the tempo - the hat on the beat is accented - the 'leading-in' two hats before each on the beat each increase in velocity before the main mean.... you need to copy this pattern twice to make one longer pattern... then vary the next footdrum in part B so it falls on beat 2... play it in a loop.. part_A & part B... and it sounds like it's 80bpm with the kik & snare... but the hats say 160... 'double time'... there is your fluidity - it's a reggea/ragga/jungle/drums thing.

Message 69/71                 Date: 18-Jan-01  @  01:54 AM   -   RE: timbaland beats

k

sorry... thats impossible to get, the first bit about velocity... ok

beat_1_1 - Vel = 127

beat_1_2 - blank

beat_1_3 - vel = 60 ish

beat_1_4 - vel = 90 ish

beat_2_1 - vel = 127

etc

Message 70/71                 Date: 18-Jan-01  @  10:59 PM   -   RE: timbaland beats

k

funnily enuff, exactly on the subject, my boy came over today and we mixed his vst song he brought on a disc & added vocals - .. anyways - his beats are tuff!!... and have that same characteristics as we are talking above.. it was rnb we were doing with a brit garage crossover style vocals. i'll try to get an ra file of it up to listen too

Pages: 1 ... 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

There are 71 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum