0  |  skin: 1 2 3  | Login | Join  | 

Audioindy.com

Mail discussion to a friend Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About 7161 forums Forum home New Topic

Forums   -   Drums / rhythms / programming

Subject: Drum'N'Bass Area

Pages: 1 ... 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Original Message                 Date: 16-Oct-99  @  07:30 PM   -   Drum'N'Bass Area

wai

Link?:  No link
File?:  No file

Welcome to this new forum dedicated to the harder, phatter edge of dance music. Share your ideas, tips etc...Discuss about anything concerning the production of "Drum'n'Bass music. Hope this will be an active forum.

[ back to forum ]                           [quote]

Message 51/89                 Date: 05-Nov-99  @  01:37 AM   -   RE: Drum'N'Bass Area

Casparproject

Link?: Link

Odd, theres only one bar there, and as far as I know, one of the main things that makes good D'n B is the fact that the drum patterns are usually 4-16 bars long. Ah well, I usually use splicey'd up samples, but here's bar one of a little step beat I used once, you can extrapolate the next 7 bars of the pattern yerself.

Peaceout

[ back to forum ]               [quote]

Message 52/89                 Date: 05-Nov-99  @  01:38 PM   -   RE: Drum'N'Bass Area

R-Tek

Spectraphonix - if u jus` want records 2 sample yer breaks off then go 2 a hip hop shop if u have 1 round your way, failing that find a shop online (I think Mr Bongo have a website, dont know the address though) and buy some of the classic beats n breaks albums which r very usefull. Failing that, listen 2 the D+B u already have carefully, u should find that u can pick out at least a clean kik or snare 4 sampling. I spys "Vapour" that came out on Underfires "Blazing" album had a lovely stepping break at the beginning u can sample. And the (dont laugh) Aphrodite album has plenty of crisp hits u can pick out if u listen carefully. Jus` use yer ears and u`ll probably find u have plenty of sample material already.

Message 53/89                 Date: 05-Nov-99  @  05:53 PM   -   RE: Drum'N'Bass Area

fresh

Is that legal? Seems like cheating if you get your drum n bass sounds off of drum n bass albums. I know I'd be pissed off if you did it to me. Oh well, that's the nature of the game I guess...

Message 54/89                 Date: 05-Nov-99  @  07:13 PM   -   RE: Drum'N'Bass Area

R-Tek

.....hardly ANY d+b producers actually get their beats from a a session drummer in their studio. They lift them from all over the shop. As mentioned above all the classic breaks have been used in hip hop b4 and THEY were themselves lifted from funk, rare groove etc. The whole point of the sampler, to me, is empowerment. U no longer need £10000`s worth of gear, u dont need a band (who, lets face it, may not b able 2 play all that well themselves) or session musicians, u dont need any formal training....I could go on all day. Theres pretty much an unspoken agreement in D+B and other genres that people r free 2 sample everyone elses material (within limits, of course)without fear of litigation (I mean, how many times was the "Shadowboxing" break used or that clattery jazz break in "Everywhere I go rmx"?). Where do u get your samples from then?

Message 55/89                 Date: 05-Nov-99  @  11:16 PM   -   RE: Drum'N'Bass Area

fresh

I see your points certainly about the validity of sampling other peoples work. Sure, I do the same. However, I try as best as I can to sample the most obscure sources that I can. Film noir, exercise LP's from the 50's, political documentaries, live voice-overs, horror films, telephone conversations, dance instruction tapes, aircraft, animals, household noises, my mouth, etc. Yes I also sample more widely recognized sources such as purchased sampling CD's, and old Vinyl. I believe in sampling the world and bringing it to drum n bass breaks, or whatever your beat. But....I just prefer to grab unfound or forgotten things and then twist the hell out of them so no one could ever say hey that's "*". Just my way of doing it. If someone is going to sample me then they better well turn it inside out and backwards so I can't recognize it so they aren't just echoing what I just did. So this is the real point that I am trying to make: Grab another guys drum n bass kick for my own drum n bass groove? I'd feel like I just turned a painting upside down and called it mine. Again, it's just the way I do things. I get my rocks off on being clever.

P.S.-I'm not trying to patronize or brown-nose you or anything but I've run into you in threads all over the place and you know your shit. Post a groove some time. 

Message 56/89                 Date: 06-Nov-99  @  05:36 AM   -   RE: Drum'N'Bass Area

R-Tek

Ok, I follow what yer gettin` at now. I thought u were some sort of sampling fascist or something, sorry. 2 b fair though, Spectraphonix wanted 2 know how 2 get into doin` his breaks and the easiest way is by lifting existing breaks and playing around with them. I`m only a novice meself and I lift most of my hits from jungle records, but I dont leave it at that, I merge 3-4 kiks 2 get a new one and then strip it down with the filters etc. I dont ever use a hit taken off vinyl as is, I`ll always try an` make it my own by playin` around with it. Course, when I get a better idea of what I`m doin`, I`m hoping 2 move on from that but 4 now, it suits me jus` fine.

Message 57/89                 Date: 07-Nov-99  @  05:05 AM   -   RE: Drum'N'Bass Area

casparproject

Link?: Link

I usually use sample CD's, at least with these you have permission to use the samples. Best way to do it I find is to take a 4 bar loop and break it into 8 parts, then find your individual drum sounds as well. then assign each one to a different key on your controller, and seq. the pattern.

Peaceout

Message 58/89                 Date: 07-Nov-99  @  07:14 AM   -   RE: Drum'N'Bass Area

R-Tek

2 b honest, I have no reservations about using someone elses beats `cos I always tailor them 2 give 2 get the sonic qualities I`m after. I`ve got sample Cds but I prefer not 2 use them - I dont wanna use the same beats as everyone else. I mean, what I`m doing may not b strictly legal, but its a whole lot more creative than say house where people r STILL using the 909 2 program the same old tired patterns. After all, where did the d+b producers get their beats from in the 1st place? U think they paid 4 `em? I got a lot of respect 4 what Sox is doin`, wish I could do it, but it don`t make what I`m doin` any less valid. U shouldn`t put any sort of restrictions on where u source your material.

Message 59/89                 Date: 07-Nov-99  @  09:34 AM   -   RE: Drum'N'Bass Area

fresh

What your doing is completely legal so far. However once you start getting your first commercial releases...

One thing that I do to come up with good sounds is to sample other peoples drum n bass breaks that I really like and put em on my trigger board. Then I just use them as reference in order to get similar qualities out of my own samples on adjacent keys. I keep them in my sampler but never use em for my own work. Try it sometime. You'd be suprised how much more you can get out of your own stuff if you can A/B to commercial releases that easily.

So what does Sox do that you cant? (perhaps I missed something there).

Message 60/89                 Date: 07-Nov-99  @  05:54 PM   -   RE: Drum'N'Bass Area

sox

Link?:  Link

I think R-tek was referring to the fact that I play all
my grooves and don't program them in which gives my stuff a completely original feel.

'Nuff respect to R-tek. He's hit the nail right on the head "it don`t make what I`m doin` any less valid". There is no such thing as good or bad music, only different. (That comment will probably start off a whole new thread now 

Pages: 1 ... 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

There are 89 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum