0  |  skin: 1 2 3  | Login | Join  | 

Audioindy.com

Mail discussion to a friend Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About 7161 forums Forum home New Topic

Forums   -   Mixing & FX

Subject: Standalone D-A necessary?

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5

Original Message                 Date: 21-Jul-03  @  05:43 AM   -   Standalone D-A necessary?

influx

Link?:  Link
File?:  No file

I was thinking Id like to try to start running my mixes through say a 16ch analog board...one that has that "sound"...maybe an old soundcraft or A&H...

JUST to set levels and panning pretty much, and the output buss. Maybe get one good compressor to put on the mains...

so..at first I thought maybe get like a hammerfall or something...say 16-24adat outs, and then maybe a Swissonic DA24 or the like

and then I thought well hell...two delta 1010s woud give me 16 outs..or two 2408s?

so my question is, are the DAs on these things "sufficient?" Is it really necessary to get standalone DA converters? Theyre not cheap!

another option would be the Hammerfall with a couple of the 8 out expansions?

and then that goes back to..is there really a point to breaking things out? does it really sound more "open"?

I guess thats why I want to try..to see if I like the way it sounds..you know...crank the channels a bit...see what the FX sound like comin off the PC through a mixer..etc?

hit me with some thought here, fellas! damballah? Psy? Mindspawn? Anyone else with experience with this?

[ back to forum ]                           [quote]

Message 41/43                 Date: 24-Jul-03  @  06:09 PM   -   RE: Standalone D-A necessary?

Influx

Link?: Link

that was fucking lame. I wasnt trying to be "all technical" in the slightest

whoever you are asshole, why dont you show your "face" if youre gonna talk shit. I didnt get "shot down" in the slightest.

If RCAs are so good, why doesnt anyone use them?

A)because theyre not balanced. Studios often want balanced systems.

b)sorry, but they ARENT solid. Ive seen em snap many times

[ back to forum ]               [quote]

Message 42/43                 Date: 24-Jul-03  @  10:30 PM   -   RE: Standalone D-A necessary?

j-type

decent ones ARE solid, i've had plenty of jacks crap out in my time but my all-metal, gold-plated RCAs (you get what you pay for) are fine.

why doesn't anyone use them? they do, they're quite popular for S/PDIF i hear :-) it's just that they are for SEMI-PERMANENT connections and aren't meant to be unplugged all the time.

Message 43/43                 Date: 24-Jul-03  @  11:38 PM   -   RE: Standalone D-A necessary?

influx

still not balanced 

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5

There are 43 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum