0  |  skin: 1 2 3  | Login | Join  | 

Audioindy.com

Mail discussion to a friend Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About 7161 forums Forum home New Topic

Forums   -   Mixing & FX

Subject: the long route..................

Pages: 1 2 3 4

Original Message                 Date: 07-Oct-05  @  10:11 AM   -   the long route..................

Dominic

Link?:  No link
File?:  No file

Im such a prat. Just reduced all my delta 410 soundcard levels (within the control panel) to consumer -10db. Now -10db on a Logic instrument track matches -10db on my mackie desk. Its a bloody revelation  I can set my kick at 0 db, my snare at -2db, bass at -10db, guitar at -15db, etc and my tracks actually sound right!!!! Track now peaking at +3db on my desk.

Before I had the 410 control levels up at full cos I was trying to get the best signal to noise ratio but when I burnt stuff to CD to listen on my stereo my stuff sounded too chunky, no dynamics and not spacey enough when compared to my favourite producers. Now its like another world!!!!!!

Im a proper fool. My friend told me that the guy who now runs Juno did something similar  he gave up trying to produce cos he couldnt understand why his tunes never sounded pro enough. After 4 years of trying  a bloke walked into his studio and told him his speakers were out of phase.

My question is can I find something in Logic that will give me a test tone so I can (exactly) match 0db on my instrument track to 0db on my Mackie? I would have though the Osc plug would but maybe it needs an input signal to work.

[ back to forum ]                           [quote]

Message 31/40                 Date: 13-Oct-05  @  10:03 AM   -   RE: the long route..................

monkeybasket2001

File?:  [image]

[image file]

right measured the room and took some phots just need to get them off my camera.

the room is 11.4 ft long and around 10.2 ft wide- when i moved in ui tried oputting my bed in the alcove- it was like 1 inch out- gutted! wall 1 is an internal wall- room on the otherside, wall 5 is a mmain wall onto the outside, wall 2 connects to my neighbour so is a party wall, wall 3 is an internal wall and so is wall 4. dont know what materials these walls are made off but am guessing the outside ones are brick and plaster

due to the furniture at the time i put the gear there and my wardrobe at the other end, its been like that ever since...

i do take your advice very seriously and will move everything to wall 1 where my wardrobe and desk is...it will take a while but if you're convinced the alcove is a bad idea so am i....

therefore im going to try and set the gear up so the monitors are a foot away from the wall and at unequal distances from either side wall, put the acoustic foam on the back and side walls and move all that furniture into the alcove....

if anyone has any more comments please add....

cheers

greg

[ back to forum ]               [quote]

Message 32/40                 Date: 13-Oct-05  @  12:45 PM   -   RE: the long route..................

k

Link?:  Link

[image file]

you want your speakers there really, so i guess it's time to dump the bed and get a futon which you can roll-up - why waste all that space. i spose you could leave the gear where it is and put the speakers on brackets, or move the gear and put the cupboard & desk in the alcove or dump the cupboard

I had an idea for a script once. It's basically Jaws except when the guys in the boat are going after Jaws, they look around and there's an even bigger Jaws. The guys have to team up with Jaws to get Bigger Jaws.... I call it... Big Jaws!!!

Message 33/40                 Date: 13-Oct-05  @  01:19 PM   -   RE: the long route..................

monkeybasket2001

[image file]

cool, i think as i cant put the bed anywhere (and wont sleep on a futon- i like comfort ) ill just swap the gear for the cupboard and put it like shown.

hopefully i wont have too many monitoring issues with it set this way- id rather not have the speaker facing a window but ive run out of options...

cheers

greg

Message 34/40                 Date: 13-Oct-05  @  03:28 PM   -   RE: the long route..................

k

dude, a futon is WAY WAY more comfortable and better for your back... and if the truth be known, way better for shagging on than a bed if you dont use the stupid wooden frame (a western add-on, Japanes dont use a wooden frame.)

I had an idea for a script once. It's basically Jaws except when the guys in the boat are going after Jaws, they look around and there's an even bigger Jaws. The guys have to team up with Jaws to get Bigger Jaws.... I call it... Big Jaws!!!

Message 35/40                 Date: 13-Oct-05  @  03:53 PM   -   RE: the long route..................

monkeybasket2001

iyo...

i slept on a futon for the first month of moving in sans frame and although it wasn't that hard it wasn't that comfy either...believe me ive tried as i liked the idea of rolling a bed up but i dont like futons and they seem to be the best and most comfy of the fold away bed range...

greg

Message 36/40                 Date: 13-Oct-05  @  04:07 PM   -   RE: the long route..................

Dominic

ahahah. This is cool.

Message 37/40                 Date: 13-Oct-05  @  04:14 PM   -   RE: the long route..................

milan

Link?: Link

heheh... "what futon for..."  

or you could just get on with it. make music for fun until you move into a better space or something...

Message 38/40                 Date: 13-Oct-05  @  04:25 PM   -   RE: the long route..................

monkeybasket2001

i do make music for fun, having monitoring problems wont stop me doing that but ive been doing this for 3 years and wanna step my game up, i dont plan to move any time soon as ive only been here 6 months- so am stuck here for good but at the same time want my tunes to sound more pro...you can forgive me that at least....perhaps i should have got frustrated like the guy from juno records did and give up and sell off rather than address what might be causing the problem....

greg

Message 39/40                 Date: 13-Oct-05  @  10:32 PM   -   RE: the long route..................

k

oh well different strokes... i cant sleep in a bed really any more unless it's really super-solid. If i stay in a hotel i sleep on the floor

Message 40/40                 Date: 14-Oct-05  @  08:46 AM   -   RE: the long route..................

monkeybasket2001

^^
hippy....

i think my proposed idea is the best compromise- cheers

greg

Pages: 1 2 3 4

There are 40 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum