0  |  skin: 1 2 3  | Login | Join  | 

Audioindy.com

Mail discussion to a friend Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About 7161 forums Forum home New Topic

Forums   -   Mixing & FX

Subject: Standalone D-A necessary?

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5

Original Message                 Date: 21-Jul-03  @  05:43 AM   -   Standalone D-A necessary?

influx

Link?:  Link
File?:  No file

I was thinking Id like to try to start running my mixes through say a 16ch analog board...one that has that "sound"...maybe an old soundcraft or A&H...

JUST to set levels and panning pretty much, and the output buss. Maybe get one good compressor to put on the mains...

so..at first I thought maybe get like a hammerfall or something...say 16-24adat outs, and then maybe a Swissonic DA24 or the like

and then I thought well hell...two delta 1010s woud give me 16 outs..or two 2408s?

so my question is, are the DAs on these things "sufficient?" Is it really necessary to get standalone DA converters? Theyre not cheap!

another option would be the Hammerfall with a couple of the 8 out expansions?

and then that goes back to..is there really a point to breaking things out? does it really sound more "open"?

I guess thats why I want to try..to see if I like the way it sounds..you know...crank the channels a bit...see what the FX sound like comin off the PC through a mixer..etc?

hit me with some thought here, fellas! damballah? Psy? Mindspawn? Anyone else with experience with this?

[ back to forum ]                           [quote]

Message 31/43                 Date: 23-Jul-03  @  05:21 PM   -   RE: Standalone D-A necessary?

Influx

Link?: Link

still dont like the RCA connectors, and thats three PCI cards 

[ back to forum ]               [quote]

Message 32/43                 Date: 23-Jul-03  @  06:01 PM   -   RE: Standalone D-A necessary?

smudge

Link?:  No link

what's wrong with gold plated phono to jacks? :-)

Message 33/43                 Date: 23-Jul-03  @  08:27 PM   -   RE: Standalone D-A necessary?

Influx

nothing WRONG but I want balanced outputs, which rules out a lot of pieces.

RCA..just...doesnt seem like a solid connection for "studio" gear IMO

Message 34/43                 Date: 23-Jul-03  @  09:32 PM   -   RE: Standalone D-A necessary?

99devils

My opinoin too. Plus, I'm still leery of using that many sound cards. You may get it to work on a particular motherboard but I wouldn't want to try that over and over (but I am glad it works for you   ).

Message 35/43                 Date: 23-Jul-03  @  10:42 PM   -   RE: Standalone D-A necessary?

j-type

Link?:  Link

RCA phonos are better than jacks for semi-permanent connections. snug fit, large contact area between plug and socket. take away a jack plug's barrel and you've only got a bendy bit of metal resting on the plug's surface... not what i'd call a solid connection!

Message 36/43                 Date: 24-Jul-03  @  08:19 AM   -   RE: Standalone D-A necessary?

smudge

yea I know what you mean Craig. It did take a couple of goes as I said but now its perfect.

Message 37/43                 Date: 24-Jul-03  @  11:04 AM   -   RE: Standalone D-A necessary?

BluStudio

cant you have a go of those apogees you were selling for that guy? They are the D/A's that are defo going to be one of my next buys- if i had the $ i would have given you a shout on those big time

Blu

Message 38/43                 Date: 24-Jul-03  @  12:41 PM   -   RE: Standalone D-A necessary?

ahahahahaha

ahahhahahahahahahahahahahhehehehehehheheehhahahhahahahahhahahahahahahahahhehehehhehehehehehehhehehehehehehehehhhahahahahahhaahahah!

Influx tried to be all "technical" but got shot down by J Type!

AHahahahahahahahahhahahahahahhahaahahahahhahahahhehehehehehehehehehehehhehehehahhahahahahhahahahahaheheheheheheheheheheh!

Message 39/43                 Date: 24-Jul-03  @  02:02 PM   -   RE: Standalone D-A necessary?

99devils

I know I'd have to spend about $200 on new cabling if I were to have to convert to RCA jacks  

Message 40/43                 Date: 24-Jul-03  @  03:22 PM   -   RE: Standalone D-A necessary?

smudge

yes, it's called www.studiospares.com

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5

There are 43 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum