0  |  skin: 1 2 3  | Login | Join  | 

Audioindy.com

Mail discussion to a friend Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About 7161 forums Forum home New Topic

Forums   -   Samplers & sampling

Subject: can't decide...

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6

Original Message                 Date: 22-Sep-02  @  06:24 AM   -   can't decide...

psychofreak5000

Link?:  Link
File?:  No file

I'm wanting to get into sampling and music production but i don't know what kind of gear I should get. Is the Korg Electribe EM1 good for beginers? Any advice would be great.

[ back to forum ]                           [quote]

Message 31/56                 Date: 24-Sep-02  @  02:38 PM   -   RE: can't decide...

99devils

Link?: Link

Or you could go slightly cheaper and get a used RM1X at about $350ish, and I've been seeing the Lower end Emu Ultras cheap lately.. Same with the ESIs and the Akai S2000s. All of them are capable boxes, and if you don't like 'em or decide this music thing isn't for you, you're not gonna get reamed getting rid of them. Throw in a RedSound Darkstar for $200 and you've got a kicking rig for under a grand.

-Craig

[ back to forum ]               [quote]

Message 32/56                 Date: 24-Sep-02  @  08:27 PM   -   RE: can't decide...

influx

ok...nord lead 1 kb for controller and synts. Emu E5000, Kaway q80..

thats...ahh thats still higher...

Message 33/56                 Date: 24-Sep-02  @  09:20 PM   -   RE: can't decide...

99devils

Yeah, but not by much, and you won't want to start off with everything all at once. I'd say get an RM1X, play around with that, 'cause you can teach yourself how to make tracks with just that bit. Then, as you tire of its sounds (and they aren't that great), you can replace them with external kit a piece at a time.. Don't like the drums? Get a sampler. Don't like the synth sounds? Get a synth.

If his budget was a bit higher I'd say RS-7000 too.

-Craig

Message 34/56                 Date: 24-Sep-02  @  10:16 PM   -   RE: can't decide...

influx

but like I said theres an RS7000 on harmony central for $800!

thats a fuckin STEAL!

Message 35/56                 Date: 24-Sep-02  @  10:47 PM   -   RE: can't decide...

errata

Link?:  No link

Yes it is, and tempting even to this gear head!

I great piece of kit... and just complicated enough to remind the user that this MIDI business requires intelligence!

e

Message 36/56                 Date: 24-Sep-02  @  11:25 PM   -   RE: can't decide...

d

Link?:  No link

>>this MIDI business requires intelligence<<

OH, NOW YOU TELL ME!

Message 37/56                 Date: 27-Sep-02  @  03:27 AM   -   RE: can't decide...

queasy00

hey.. just thought i'd try (yeah, i never post):

i got into music by first using fasttracker 2 and maz's $40 sample cd which is a super basic s/w seq but wicked (at least i think). anyway.. who cares about that, then i got the rm1x and it's just wicked.

the sounds are nothing special [some can be tweaked to sonic heaven... but don't execpt much]. but the thing is you can expand your setup effectively by using it as a sequencer (it's a wicked seq for live-ness).

anyway.. it's really cheap (like other people have said)... really surely under 500 us... check out ebay --it's your friend ;) [just dont' get hooked!]

and when you decide.. get back.. i don't know about everyone else but i'm really interested to hear what you got!

-j
ps: micro-edit rules.

Message 38/56                 Date: 27-Sep-02  @  08:01 AM   -   RE: can't decide...

breakerbox

oh come on.. dont get all pissed at me... I used a mpc2000 and akai s3000xl and when i saw the rs7000 at guitar center display, i stared at it for 5 mins and i couldnt figure out how to use it...It took me some time to figure out the mpc and all too.. but this one seemed more complicated.. thats all i am saying... So be prepared to learn to use it and get around weird quirks/yamaha way of thinkinglike all the hardware has... I think yamha rs7000 is great for you, specially for the money, I say go with it..
About tckers.. man i used to have this one running on Amiga500.. cant remeber the name XXXXtrackers.. but not fast... I used the fasttracker on pc for a long time.... We use to make the beats on it ( in dos emulation- my soundcard was so crappy.. it wouldnt work higher then 22000hz 16bit) export it as a wave file and run 2 copies of windows media player.. one with the beats and other one with record on.. sometimes that wouldnt work either so we would record the beat to the tape and my friend would play his bass to the beat coming from the tape and record it to windows media player.. then go back to Dos and fix it in fasttracker.. good ole days...

Message 39/56                 Date: 27-Sep-02  @  06:24 PM   -   RE: can't decide...

queasy00

that's wicked man!
haha.. yeah, i loved the tracker days...

and the rm1x was quirky at first... but like you said.. just need to spend some time.

-j
//so bored.. waiting for th ups guy to come with my mixer.

Message 40/56                 Date: 27-Sep-02  @  09:19 PM   -   RE: can't decide...

psylichon

I started with two shitty tape decks with built-in speakers and microphones, playing along with what I just recorded, bouncing back and forth. That's as cheap as it gets.

Editing's a bitch, tho

psylichon

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6

There are 56 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum