0  |  skin: 1 2 3  | Login | Join  | 

Audioindy.com

Mail discussion to a friend Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About 7161 forums Forum home New Topic

Forums   -   Live / PA / gigging

Subject: Define "Live"

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Original Message                 Date: 04-Apr-02  @  04:21 PM   -   Define

Mindspawn

Link?:  Link
File?:  No file

What I'm on about has been touched on in a lot of threads of late. Just what constitues "live" in the sense of an electronic performance? Is playing a DAT live? How about using a DAT for backing while you play live bits over the top? How is using a sequencer all that different? How much manipulation of yer bits does it take before you're "live?"

I know there's a lot of differences, including artist vs audience perception. Just wonderin' what y'alls take on this was...

From me own perspective what satisfies my definition of "live" is no pre-recorded songs or backing, no individual sequence in excess of 32 measures in length, and doing something a little more involved than hitting a button or a knob once every ten minutes. That's not to say if you don't meet my "criteria" that you'd get no respect, far from it actually... I'm just giving out my own definition of what makes it LIVE for me, and that ain't necessarily what makes it good by any means....

Peace

[ back to forum ]                           [quote]

Message 31/79                 Date: 09-Apr-02  @  09:30 PM   -   RE: Define

xoxos

Link?: Link

maud dib!

[ back to forum ]               [quote]

Message 32/79                 Date: 10-Apr-02  @  12:13 AM   -   RE: Define

Defector Z

I got a pair of headphones from Bose for work that are active sound cancelling devices. I spoke to one of the senior engineers at Bose to see what they had in store, but he said that large room accoustics are nearly impossible to cancel. You're talking about hearing a signal and then reproducing an opposite phase immediately. Very difficult to do. Too many calculations and such. Too bad though - sometimes work gets really loud. The headphones work really well, though, there is a smaller area to work with, so...

Message 33/79                 Date: 10-Apr-02  @  01:18 AM   -   RE: Define

influx

Link?:  Link

god I sound so goth sometimes.

anyway..me? dont know SHIT about music except what I like, and I have a good ear for fitting sounds together

never even learned the "proper" way to play my bass, but I was in a band for 5 years and that sounded good, too...

thinkin about getting both bass and piano lessons, just to learn the foundations. Would like to read and write music, too

so..edit:

Live involves spontanaeity of some form. audience/performer interaction

NOT just pressing play.

and..the DJ thing...well...99% of em have exactly what theyre gonna play out already set before the show...so...

Message 34/79                 Date: 12-Apr-02  @  01:56 AM   -   RE: Define

Mindspawn

Heheh, Influx, you're to hard on yourself... Ian Anderson (and if ya dunna know who he is, shame on you...) has a daughter who is taking flute lessons in school. She came home and showed him some of her practice instructions from class and he said "I learned I had been playing the flute wrong all along...." So, I really don't think knowing the "right way" to do/play something is always of the highest importance....

That said, having spent a bit of time learning "some" theory, has been helpful. Made it possible for me to work faster in some cases...

But back to the question, I realize there is no single answer to this question, an' I wasn't after that. Just curious about folks opinions as it's something I'm always "moralizing" about. I know for me, what's more important than how "live" it is, is that I enjoy doing it, that I feel good about doing it, and that the crowd has fun, too. IF you can do that and just do it by hitting play, more power to ya.

As for DJing, I've tried, and while it's certainly taught me some things, I simply do not have the same kind of energy when I do a DJ set as when I play live. Methinks I simply like the possibility that everything "could" go to hell at any moment... Keeps me frosty.

Pax

Message 35/79                 Date: 12-Apr-02  @  03:10 AM   -   RE: Define

ian anderson

Link?:  No link

yeah, you damn well better know who I am Influx or Ill come shove my flute up your arse.

Message 36/79                 Date: 12-Apr-02  @  04:49 AM   -   RE: Define

damballah

darin!

Message 37/79                 Date: 12-Apr-02  @  07:43 AM   -   RE: Define

ian

Link?:  No link

nope

well shiiiiit. this could get fun mates!

Message 38/79                 Date: 12-Apr-02  @  03:34 PM   -   RE: Define

99devils

Gene, that used to be my very definition of "live" - if there's a decent chance it could go to hell (and it did for me once), then it's live.. But I don't rest so easy with that definition any more  

-Craig

Message 39/79                 Date: 12-Apr-02  @  10:31 PM   -   RE: Define

Mindspawn

Very true... very true.... Now I really LIKE to push the envelope of everything "could" go to hell, a bit further. Now it's more like, okay, everything IS going to hell, how do i get it back...? awwww fuck it, let's burn....!

Pax

Message 40/79                 Date: 12-Apr-02  @  11:40 PM   -   RE: Define

xoxos

how's the trout farm ian?

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

There are 79 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum