0  |  skin: 1 2 3  | Login | Join  | 

Audioindy.com

Mail discussion to a friend Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About 7161 forums Forum home New Topic

Forums   -   Drums / rhythms / programming

Subject: BEWARE OF THE DIGITAL DARKSIDE

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5

Original Message                 Date: 27-Feb-01  @  02:06 PM   -   BEWARE OF THE DIGITAL DARKSIDE

ANALOGUE ALAN

Link?:  No link
File?:  No file

MORE AND MORE PEOPLE ARE SUBMITTING TOWARDS THE DARKSIDE. YES I'M TALKING ABOUT THE EVIL OF ALL EVIL'S, "THE DIGITAL DOMAIN"!
NOW LETS GET ONE THING STRAIGHT, I'M NO EXPERT PRODUCER, JUST A POOR MUSIC MAKER WHO WORKS IN HIS BEDROOM 5 DAYS A WEEK AND AS AN ASSISTANT ENGINNEER 2 DAYS A WEEK. BUT LIKE MOST OF YOU GUYS I'M QUIETLY PLUGGING AWAY LEARNING A FEW NEW THINGS EVERY COUPLE OF WEEKS AND HOPING TO MAKE IT ONE DAY. NOW'S THAT'S SORTED OUT, BACK TO MY POINT-BEWARE OF THE DIGITAL DOMAIN !
TIMO MAAS, PEACE DIVISION, FUTURE SHOCK, 16B AND MOST OF THE OTHER TEC/TRIBAL/PROG PRODUCERS ALL OPERATE USING THE ANALOGUE FORCE (THE GOOD SIDE).
I,VE BEEN READING ABOUT SOME OF YOU GUYS TALKING ABOUT DITCHING MOST OF YOUR OUTBOARD IN FAVOUR OF VST/LOGIC AUDIO AND ALL THOSE WONDERFUL PLUG-INS. DON'T DO IT UNLESS YOU WANT THAT THIN,CLEAN,LITE,UNWARM SOUND. LETS KEEP THINGS TUFF,DIRTY AND ORGANIC-ESPECIALLY DRUMS!
OK, SO SOME OF THE PLUG-IN EQ'S, GATES AND DELAYS ARE USABLE, BUT THE REVERBS,COMPRESSORS,DISTORTION BOXES AND CHORUS UNITS SOUND HORRIBLE. THEY SOUND TOO CLEAN AND LACK DEPTH.
THIS IS A CALL TO ALL BEDROOM PRODUCERS WHO ARE THINKING OF MAKING THE SWITCH, DON'T DO IT! I KNOW ITS TEMPTING, ALL THOSE PLUG-INS, THE AUTOMATION CAPABILITIES AND THE ECONOMIES OF AN ENTIRE STUDIO ON SCREEN.
BUT IF YOU WANT THE SOUND OF ALL THE TOP PRODUCERS THEN YOUR BEST TO STAY WITH AN ANALOGUE DESK, OUTBOARD COMPESSOR,GATES AND LEXICON REVERB UNITS. PLEASE GUYS STAY HERE ON THE GOOD SIDE, USE THE ANALOGUE FORCE AND REMEMBER, THE GRASS IS NOT GREENER OVER THERE!

[ back to forum ]                           [quote]

Message 31/41                 Date: 08-Mar-01  @  01:29 AM   -   RE: BEWARE OF THE DIGITAL DARKSIDE

k

hey jez, isa that powerup sound from starwing?  

[ back to forum ]               [quote]

Message 32/41                 Date: 08-Mar-01  @  03:21 PM   -   RE: BEWARE OF THE DIGITAL DARKSIDE

johan

yeah, i see what you mean about the pros, and stuff. and you are definitely right about how a wellproduced/mastered tune can simply turn a club upside down. nothing wrong with that. maybe i should make symphonic stuff instead, and quit being pretentious about making melodic dancemusic, because (almost) everything that matters is (heavily compressed and eq:ed) sound, not melody.

cheers!

Message 33/41                 Date: 08-Mar-01  @  03:21 PM   -   RE: BEWARE OF THE DIGITAL DARKSIDE

Analogue Alan

Hey Jez. Firstly I've only been using the beans on new years eve for the last five years. More of a smoker i'm afraid. Secondly, what's my late arrival on the net got to do with my digital/analogue argument. I own Logic Audio, a soundcard and alot of plug-ins. Maybe I'm doing something wrong, but if I have a snare cominig out of my sampler, down a mackie channel and the same snare in an audio track coming of the computer then use my lexicon reverb on the sampler snare and a Tc reverb on the audio snare, there's just no contest, digital sounds wank. Hardware outboard just gives you a real sense of space in the mix. Lastly I'm still confused how I hear your tune. Do I need this winamp thing or can I just go to your link and press play. Sorry but I am an INTERNET beginner. Always been holed up in the studio I guess. Take Care.

Message 34/41                 Date: 08-Mar-01  @  08:38 PM   -   RE: BEWARE OF THE DIGITAL DARKSIDE

Jez

Link?: Link

k...which sound..dunno what your on about..it probably came from a 'white-noise' sound in my nova and then processed in soundforge or something...

analogue, I'm no net wizzkid either but you either have to have Real Audio installed or wniamp...my tracvks are'nt up for download now so you can only listen...so I think you need winamp..not sure though...k?

as far as your last post, depends on the quality of the plug-ins your using really...

you can't generalise these days..my Timeworks reverb plug-in sounds way better than my zoom or lexicon reverb units did when I owned them though its hard to explain why..they just sound smoother and more controllable..and what plugs are you using BTW?

..if your just using free ones then you've got no right to slam digital FX at all cos I will agree that a lot of the free plug-ins are pretty shite and lifeless, with no character...but the Waves ones, Timeworks, Canam ones I've got kick arse big time. You got or tried them?

I know what youre saying...a lot of outboard can really not just add the effect to a sound, but also add new dynamics and character than an 'equivalent' plug-in can..like a 'wholeness' to the sound or as you say:

'a real sense of space in the mix'

...depends on the unit...but you can't just say they are all wank cos thats just not true...

I'm having a few problems at the moment using pulgs as inserts on over 20 tracks of audio because my system is a bit old...so I'm gonna use a few more midi tracks..but lucky for me, I have an a3000 with 3 fx blocks, a nova with fx and a proteus 2k for effects...so sometimes I use those FX, and sometimes convert to audio and use plugs...it just depends how I feel at the time really...it certainly makes you more flexible and you can't argue with that..I've found that mostly I onlu use plugs on the drums, vocal samples and thats it... keys and other stuff is done on the outboard cos its quicker to set-up..and I don't mess with the bass to much..maybe a tiny bit of reverb, chours and compression...thats it...

Message 35/41                 Date: 08-Mar-01  @  08:41 PM   -   RE: BEWARE OF THE DIGITAL DARKSIDE

Jez

Link?: Link

sorry...shit spelling...and anyway, why do the posts on this page always get squashed up...makes em harder to read...watching the liverpool game now so I'm off..

Jez

Message 36/41                 Date: 08-Mar-01  @  09:36 PM   -   RE: BEWARE OF THE DIGITAL DARKSIDE

Jasper

he's got a point, the a3000 has a lot more power to it's samples than my mates 600 quid audio card (dunno name).try putting HTML code directly in the text for paragraphs I hope anyway.

Message 37/41                 Date: 08-Mar-01  @  09:37 PM   -   RE: BEWARE OF THE DIGITAL DARKSIDE

Jasper

yeah put (p) when you want a paragraph... (replace the () with "<>"

Message 38/41                 Date: 09-Mar-01  @  01:42 AM   -   RE: BEWARE OF THE DIGITAL DARKSIDE

Jez

Link?:  Link

oh

(p)

right

(p)

cheers

(p)

for

(p)

that

(p)

Message 39/41                 Date: 09-Mar-01  @  01:42 AM   -   RE: BEWARE OF THE DIGITAL DARKSIDE

Jez

eh?

Message 40/41                 Date: 09-Mar-01  @  01:58 AM   -   RE: BEWARE OF THE DIGITAL DARKSIDE

Jez

buy a smapler...and use pulg-ins..haha

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5

There are 41 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum