0  |  skin: 1 2 3  | Login | Join  | 

Audioindy.com

Mail discussion to a friend Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About 7161 forums Forum home New Topic

Forums   -   Live / PA / gigging

Subject: MIDI Sequencer for Live PA

Pages: 1 2 3 4

Original Message                 Date: 12-Sep-02  @  07:08 PM   -   MIDI Sequencer for Live PA

Scott Digweed

Link?:  No link
File?:  No file

I want a hardware MIDI sequencer to perform my material live. My first question is: what is the most reliable choice among these options?

- Yamaha RS7000
- E-mu Proteus 2500
- Roland MC-80
- Akai MPC2000XL

I currently have Logic Audio (PC) running the Virus, Nord, uQ, Machinedrum, and EXS-24.

My live PA configuration would hopefully be a hardware MIDI sequencer driving the synths, and MIDI sync'd to the Machinedrum.

FYI - I've used the RM1x for a few years and while it was OK, I had a big issue with it... when switching patterns ("Styles"), it never switched to the next Style cleanly - there always seemed to be a bit of a delay.

Please comment on my evaluation of these units below.

I checked out the Proteus 2500 and RS7000 at Guitar Center yesterday. The P2500 seemed to switch patterns (i.e. when I initiated the "next pattern" manually) quite cleanly, however, none of the demo sequences were 4/4 and were of different tempos, so I couldn't tell for sure if it was a seamless transition. I believe the P2500 OS on their display model was 1.17.

On the other hand, the display XL-7 had a very noticeable delay/stutter when switching patterns, even when they were of the same tempo. I found this rather disturbing. The XL-7 OS was 1.00, which I have heard was bug-riddled.

Then I tested the RS7000. like the RM1x, it switches from Section to Section flawlessly. But when you switch from Style to Style, there was still a noticeable sonic gap between the two Styles, albeit shorter than the RM1x. Note - I had the quantize pattern setting in Global set to 1 measure.

Now the MC-80. I've never played with an MC-80 and have no clue if it switches from pattern to pattern seamlessly or if it even has the facilities to switch patterns manually. Anyone here have the MC-80? The MC-80 is quite expensive, so it better have some razzle dazzle or I'm going to pass right over it.

And the MPC-2000XL. It has the "Next Sequence" button and everything. It would seem the MPC-2000XL is ready to do switch patterns (and perhaps entire Songs?) live. But I've never been able to try it out... Anyone?

Thanks,

Scott

[ back to forum ]                           [quote]

Message 31/38                 Date: 18-Sep-02  @  06:44 PM   -   RE: MIDI Sequencer for Live PA

errata

Right on, Craig! That's what I do. With a master clock running them both to the same tempo. RM1x is the way!

I do hard trance around 140 to 150 BPM. With arpegiations at that speed you better not be even a 64th or 128th note off in timing... it shows, and even the slightest bit out of time drags the energy down, puts a swing on the beats, you can't hear that it's out of time but you can feel it. And so can they!

e

[ back to forum ]               [quote]

Message 32/38                 Date: 18-Sep-02  @  10:30 PM   -   RE: MIDI Sequencer for Live PA

Scott Digweed

I had a setback in my plans this week, as the machinedrum went bonkers and I have no clue what's wrong with it. I thought this kit was going to be reliable. *sigh* :-/

Ape - How many songs you are able to save on your MMT-8's internal memory, and how long are your songs on average? Also, still wondering if you have the grey or black MMT-8's?

Craig - I'd rather not haul around two RM1x's, that's like a coffin case with a couple 1200's. I can't fit a coffin case in my car without some serious interior bruising. :-/

Message 33/38                 Date: 18-Sep-02  @  10:43 PM   -   RE: MIDI Sequencer for Live PA

errata

We use pelican cases for the rm1x's... they're just fat attaches!

e

Message 34/38                 Date: 19-Sep-02  @  01:19 AM   -   RE: MIDI Sequencer for Live PA

Scott Digweed

come again e... what's a pelican case? hehe :0)

Message 35/38                 Date: 19-Sep-02  @  07:25 AM   -   RE: MIDI Sequencer for Live PA

Pongoid

Link?: Link

http://www.pelican.com

That's the stuff right there. I love my Pelican case. I wish they'd do 19" rack stuff.

Ape

Message 36/38                 Date: 19-Sep-02  @  06:34 PM   -   RE: MIDI Sequencer for Live PA

99devils

Dude, Home Depot has aluminum tool cases for $20 that hold the RM perfectly with just a little bit of padding. They're briefcase sized jobs, and can take a good bit of jogging around.

Thanks to Casparproject for that tip  

-Craig

Message 37/38                 Date: 20-Sep-02  @  08:01 PM   -   RE: MIDI Sequencer for Live PA

errata

if i can't rack it it goes in a pelican! (No they aren't paying me)... rock solid molded plastic with foam padding you can pluck out to custom fit!

They are pressurized as well for altitude! Popular with photographers! We have a large one that houses an RM1X, electribe, Nova and 2 little mixers, all standing on end! Brilliant...

e

Message 38/38                 Date: 21-Sep-02  @  11:37 PM   -   RE: MIDI Sequencer for Live PA

Meriphew

If you're going to only be using external gear for sounds, then why not just use the Yammie Rm1x? I use one, and have NEVER had any issues with glitches in switching patterns or sounds (like Jamey said, that happens only when using the Rm1x's internal sounds).

Pages: 1 2 3 4

There are 38 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum