0  |  skin: 1 2 3  | Login | Join  | 

Audioindy.com

Mail discussion to a friend Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About 7161 forums Forum home New Topic

Forums   -   Drums / rhythms / programming

Subject: How would compression improve my track?

Pages: 1 2 3 4

Original Message                 Date: 28-Jan-01  @  10:35 PM   -   How would compression improve my track?

Jez

Link?:  Link
File?:  No file

if you've got the time and have'nt heard my track 'disconnected' yet then please give it a listen....the reason being....

I've been told the grooves are cool but that the drums need to be compressed..is it that important...can it be improved during the mastering or can only eq make the main difference to a final .wav...it just annoys me that I bought my Alesis 3630 after I wrote it...

this is'nt a shameless plug...I just need some advice...

[ back to forum ]                           [quote]

Message 31/35                 Date: 19-Feb-01  @  06:47 PM   -   RE: How would compression improve my track?

Jez

I had a revelation today! I'm gonna sell all my outboard FX units and the Alesis 3630 I've just bought and get some kick arse monitors with the cash...

the reason being is that I've just got VST 32 and loads of the best plug-ins (for free...I've got my sources like most of you have I'm sure), maxed out my RAM memory to 128 megs and I'm finding that once I've converted all my midi to audio, I can compress each track within the VST mixer which is great for the drums and do other shit like limit, gate, and mess with the EQ's more, reverbs all at the touch of a button...I like the digital sound that VST eq puts on your drums....amazing...

mind you Jasper I'll still use the a3k compression b4 converting to audio for drums, and the proteus 2k FX...now my system will be totally tailor made....I do like the Alesis 3630, but I just don't use it...I just use the a3k comps for hits and then the mastering of the final .wav will be done in TR-Racks which I've just got hold of as well...whoooaaa, what a program...gotta love that interface...

Jasper...I saw a tune out on Force Inc records in Virgin today by someone called 'Jasper'...that ain't you is it?

[ back to forum ]               [quote]

Message 32/35                 Date: 19-Feb-01  @  11:17 PM   -   RE: How would compression improve my track?

k

Link?:  No link

Jez - you have GOT to try that with a multi-in realtime fast rack mate like the hoontech and have the outboard on the vst mixer before recording too !! -

also there is sidechain restricted compression... you can feed a frequency via an eq to the sidechain and let the comp compress certain frequencies MORE or less etc, pump certain frequencies, let other frequencies boom thru more etc. like de-essing but different frequencies.

Message 33/35                 Date: 20-Feb-01  @  11:29 AM   -   RE: How would compression improve my track?

Jasper

bloody coincidence this is (not the track, it aint mine), I'm building a new pc soon, thunderbird 900 with 256meg, and I'm was thinking about getting rid off my outboard too.

I think i'll keep the 3630 though, too usefull for controlling deep bass stuff.

Message 34/35                 Date: 20-Feb-01  @  07:32 PM   -   RE: How would compression improve my track?

Jez

haha..thought you'd made it big!

yeah..it's the way to go I reckon..keep the a3k though. I don't think a program like Gigasampler (which I've got as well) will ever replace it..I'm not about to go into softsynth territory yet cos I love my Nova and Proteus..and latency is prooving to be a complete bastard with my Isis soundcard at times..I always have to re-test inputs to keep it low..but I'll sort it soon and if it keeps playing up, I'll get a new card sooner or later..

I used my Alesis for bass mostly like you, but now I just record the bassline to audio and choose from the massive selection of plugs I've got instead...a lot easier and more fun choosing a plug-in...fuck it, I'll sell it and get some absolute zero 2's...

it helps more when working with other people as well that have VST 32...just save the arrangement and samples off to cd, and shoot off round there's, load up the cd and your off...

its just a lot more enjoyable writing tracks in VST with the mixer and plugs and everything...I've got every plug-in imaginable now along with the new ones that come with 32 by Steinberg which are fuckin great as well...

K - how the fuck d'you root the outboard to the VST..if it's midi you can't use FX right? Maybe I'm misunderstanding...sounds sweet!

Message 35/35                 Date: 20-Feb-01  @  11:57 PM   -   RE: How would compression improve my track?

Jasper

I'll never get rid of my sampler, did it once with the akai s2000, worst 8 months of my life was when I tried to get soundfonts to do anything interesting.

think 'm just ridding myself of the dat machine and the microwave2 but I'm keeping the midiverb4 and the aphex104 (bass sounds too bloody good through it), should get 600 for both and I'll buy an rm1x so I can get back into recording track live, so mutch more fun than staring at sequencers on a pc, and that bloody fan sound.. really gets my goat.

heh, just ordered the pc  , trouble is, I'm getting a geforce gts card too, can't see mutch music getting done in the near future.

Pages: 1 2 3 4

There are 35 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum