0  |  skin: 1 2 3  | Login | Join  | 

Audioindy.com

Mail discussion to a friend Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About 7161 forums Forum home New Topic

Forums   -   Mixing & FX

Subject: the long route..................

Pages: 1 2 3 4

Original Message                 Date: 07-Oct-05  @  10:11 AM   -   the long route..................

Dominic

Link?:  No link
File?:  No file

Im such a prat. Just reduced all my delta 410 soundcard levels (within the control panel) to consumer -10db. Now -10db on a Logic instrument track matches -10db on my mackie desk. Its a bloody revelation  I can set my kick at 0 db, my snare at -2db, bass at -10db, guitar at -15db, etc and my tracks actually sound right!!!! Track now peaking at +3db on my desk.

Before I had the 410 control levels up at full cos I was trying to get the best signal to noise ratio but when I burnt stuff to CD to listen on my stereo my stuff sounded too chunky, no dynamics and not spacey enough when compared to my favourite producers. Now its like another world!!!!!!

Im a proper fool. My friend told me that the guy who now runs Juno did something similar  he gave up trying to produce cos he couldnt understand why his tunes never sounded pro enough. After 4 years of trying  a bloke walked into his studio and told him his speakers were out of phase.

My question is can I find something in Logic that will give me a test tone so I can (exactly) match 0db on my instrument track to 0db on my Mackie? I would have though the Osc plug would but maybe it needs an input signal to work.

[ back to forum ]                           [quote]

Message 21/40                 Date: 12-Oct-05  @  10:23 AM   -   RE: the long route..................

milan

Link?: Link

Dominic wrote:

computer music magazine did the same thing in their sound like Royksopp article last month. So it must be right

thats where we get our tips from, innit! the whole "dont read FM/CM" smear campaign was just a trick to leave all the good stuff to us pros!

anyway, Greg... a) you *could* leave your kick be louder than the rest too, no? i have plenty of 4/4 tracks where kicks actually is louder (peakwise too) then the rest, or b) compress it some more to slam the peaks down.

and also... why dont you lot NEVER post any examples of your tracks so we know what your actual problems are???

[ back to forum ]               [quote]

Message 22/40                 Date: 12-Oct-05  @  12:58 PM   -   RE: the long route..................

Dominic

I've only been on DT 5 years without posting a tune..........I just talk a good game. I'm stupid cos I want to post spmething that is good rather than average/acceptable. Too anal I know. I've got quite a few finished tunes on my harddrive (like everyone) but they're just not good enough.

Message 23/40                 Date: 12-Oct-05  @  01:36 PM   -   RE: the long route..................

monkeybasket2001

my post didn't appear for some reason:

i have posted one track before but that was a while back and done on another system so not really representative

im looking for some beats i could paste up now...

i think in terms of the kick im just gonna play safe and get the tune as a whole sounding good- if the kick doesn't thump ill have to live with it...

greg

Message 24/40                 Date: 12-Oct-05  @  02:36 PM   -   RE: the long route..................

k

Link?:  Link

dude, never put speakers in a alcove/hole - can we see a map of the whole room inc door & any windows, and with proportions in imperial feet

also, the wall material (plaster & brick, stud walling etc), whatever each wall is made of

I had an idea for a script once. It's basically Jaws except when the guys in the boat are going after Jaws, they look around and there's an even bigger Jaws. The guys have to team up with Jaws to get Bigger Jaws.... I call it... Big Jaws!!!

Message 25/40                 Date: 12-Oct-05  @  03:04 PM   -   RE: the long route..................

milan

sorry Dom... wasnt really out to get you or anything, but posting a tune on DT wont kill you innit

Message 26/40                 Date: 12-Oct-05  @  03:31 PM   -   RE: the long route..................

Dominic

no but it would dent my already fragile ego.................

Message 27/40                 Date: 12-Oct-05  @  03:36 PM   -   RE: the long route..................

milan

sheesh... yeah, like all those other newbies we laughed at on this forum.

"what you mean your tracks are not as good as BT's???"

Message 28/40                 Date: 12-Oct-05  @  03:52 PM     Edit: 12-Oct-05  |  03:53 PM   -   RE: the long route..................

beds

File?:  File

cyfri2.mp3

i bet bt never did one this good

Message 29/40                 Date: 12-Oct-05  @  04:18 PM   -   RE: the long route..................

milan

lol... is that the one about a strapping welsh laddie running into a lost baby sheep in the woods then?

Message 30/40                 Date: 12-Oct-05  @  04:25 PM   -   RE: the long route..................

monkeybasket2001

ok im convinced, ill take photos of my room and measure it up tonight....

cheers
greg

Pages: 1 2 3 4

There are 40 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum