0  |  skin: 1 2 3  | Login | Join  | 

Audioindy.com

Mail discussion to a friend Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About 7161 forums Forum home New Topic

Forums   -   Mixing & FX

Subject: Standalone D-A necessary?

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5

Original Message                 Date: 21-Jul-03  @  05:43 AM   -   Standalone D-A necessary?

influx

Link?:  Link
File?:  No file

I was thinking Id like to try to start running my mixes through say a 16ch analog board...one that has that "sound"...maybe an old soundcraft or A&H...

JUST to set levels and panning pretty much, and the output buss. Maybe get one good compressor to put on the mains...

so..at first I thought maybe get like a hammerfall or something...say 16-24adat outs, and then maybe a Swissonic DA24 or the like

and then I thought well hell...two delta 1010s woud give me 16 outs..or two 2408s?

so my question is, are the DAs on these things "sufficient?" Is it really necessary to get standalone DA converters? Theyre not cheap!

another option would be the Hammerfall with a couple of the 8 out expansions?

and then that goes back to..is there really a point to breaking things out? does it really sound more "open"?

I guess thats why I want to try..to see if I like the way it sounds..you know...crank the channels a bit...see what the FX sound like comin off the PC through a mixer..etc?

hit me with some thought here, fellas! damballah? Psy? Mindspawn? Anyone else with experience with this?

[ back to forum ]                           [quote]

Message 21/43                 Date: 22-Jul-03  @  11:41 AM   -   RE: Standalone D-A necessary?

j-type

i'd personally go with a hammerfall with the 2x 8 outs cards, balanced/unbalanced isn't going to make that much difference unless your environment is unduly noisy.

as for having the converters on the card, inside the PC - not that important. the lynx cards have their converters onboard, and i don't know of any better sounding cards than those. the quality of design of the converter stage is FAR more important than where it's placed  

[ back to forum ]               [quote]

Message 22/43                 Date: 22-Jul-03  @  01:49 PM   -   RE: Standalone D-A necessary?

99devils

Link?: Link

It's that expensive? In that case you'd be better off with 3 2408s off of ebay. You can drive them all off of one card.

-Craig

Message 23/43                 Date: 22-Jul-03  @  06:00 PM   -   RE: Standalone D-A necessary?

Influx

Ive got a Digi98/8 PST right now and unfortunately Im hearin PC noise off it. really sucks

that makes me hesitant

but..the RME might be the cheapest solution. I wish I could put TWO AE8s on the 96/8, but alas, only one

Message 24/43                 Date: 22-Jul-03  @  08:38 PM   -   RE: Standalone D-A necessary?

psylichon

no cpu noise from MOTU (external converters). Can't say that about any internal A/D's I've ever heard.

Message 25/43                 Date: 22-Jul-03  @  09:04 PM   -   RE: Standalone D-A necessary?

Influx

yeah, see? I mean..it almost seems impossible to NOT have noise on an internal converter.

argh argh argh argh ARGH!

Message 26/43                 Date: 22-Jul-03  @  10:16 PM   -   RE: Standalone D-A necessary?

d

Link?:  No link

i'd think if your line-ins on the mixer are +4 balanced, that's what you'd wanna feed 'em.

Message 27/43                 Date: 22-Jul-03  @  10:52 PM   -   RE: Standalone D-A necessary?

Influx

me too. but then most mixers accept both, no?

whats your take on the internal conversion, d?

Message 28/43                 Date: 22-Jul-03  @  10:57 PM   -   RE: Standalone D-A necessary?

j-type

hmm, no CPU noise evident with my HDSP9632, must be faulty hehe  

if you're still paranoid about internal converters, what about the RME PCI interface coupled with their external Multiface?

Message 29/43                 Date: 23-Jul-03  @  02:35 AM   -   RE: Standalone D-A necessary?

Influx

not enough outs 

Message 30/43                 Date: 23-Jul-03  @  12:06 PM   -   RE: Standalone D-A necessary?

smudge

Link?:  No link

Craig - I'm running 3 delta 410's under windows XP with NO problems. It did take a couple of attempts to configure it properly but now it runs without any problems.

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5

There are 43 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum