0  |  skin: 1 2 3  | Login | Join  | 

Audioindy.com

Mail discussion to a friend Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About 7161 forums Forum home New Topic

Forums   -   Mixing & FX

Subject: Kick Vs Bass. Again.

Pages: 1 2 3

Original Message                 Date: 12-Mar-03  @  10:37 AM   -   Kick Vs Bass. Again.

Filthy McNasty

Link?:  No link
File?:  No file

How do you lot balance, mix and eq your kick and bass tracks. I read lots of stuff on the net saying that if you use a thick, heavy sounding bass then you have to use a toppy, acoustic sounding kick. Hmmm. I’m not sure about this. I can see where their coming from but none of my favourite producers seem to HAVE to do this on their tracks.

The second thing that really seems to annoy me is how all these articles say that if you “have to” use a heavy sounding kick, then you SHOULD ONLY play a bassline that doesn’t fall on any quarter notes (kicks). That’s rubbish. I don’t want to sound “trance” or proggy”.

Thirdly, all these articles across the WWW talk about viewing your mix as a jigsaw and finding “a pocket” for every sound. Now I can understand that but if the kick and bass occupy the same frequencies then what do you do? I have a Mackie desk so I’m stuck with a Lo eq of 80hz. I usually give both kick and bass a little 3db at 80 Hz boost. Now, my question is how do you guys eq the kick and bass in the low and hi mid area? I usually make a small cut at 250 Hz on the bass to try and make room for the kick. How do you guys work your kick and bass combinations?

[ back to forum ]                           [quote]

Message 21/30                 Date: 16-Mar-03  @  11:36 PM   -   RE: Kick Vs Bass. Again.

breaker

nevermind there just read another thread right under this one about ducking in sx

[ back to forum ]               [quote]

Message 22/30                 Date: 17-Mar-03  @  09:01 AM   -   RE: Kick Vs Bass. Again.

Filthy McNasty

Yea, cheers Pongoid. I do everything you suggested already. What you mentioned are all standard procedures. Well to me anyway. You sure do have a blunt tone mate :-)

Message 23/30                 Date: 17-Mar-03  @  05:31 PM   -   RE: Kick Vs Bass. Again.

psylichon

Link?: Link

[laughing] he's got a point Ape. I don't feel you're ever smiling when you post  

Message 24/30                 Date: 17-Mar-03  @  08:57 PM   -   RE: Kick Vs Bass. Again.

Pongoid

Are you gonna prattle on about my tone of typing or go make fat sounding tracks with bass and drums that work together to bring a smile to the listener?

Ape

Message 25/30                 Date: 18-Mar-03  @  08:23 AM   -   RE: Kick Vs Bass. Again.

Filthy McNasty

Sorry Pongoid, I thought the whole idea of the Dancetech website forums was to "prattle" on about production techniques. My mistake. :-)

Message 26/30                 Date: 18-Mar-03  @  10:56 AM   -   RE: Kick Vs Bass. Again.

k

you'll get used to P's 'delivery' Filthy when you've been around here a few years... heart of gold under it all tho - prolly he helps old ladies cross the road & stuff. lol  

Message 27/30                 Date: 18-Mar-03  @  12:42 PM   -   RE: Kick Vs Bass. Again.

psylichon

hahaha... "but learn how to cross the road on your own next time, bitch!"

Message 28/30                 Date: 18-Mar-03  @  02:17 PM   -   RE: Kick Vs Bass. Again.

Filthy McNasty

LOL. Cool.

Message 29/30                 Date: 18-Mar-03  @  08:05 PM   -   RE: Kick Vs Bass. Again.

Pongoid

I'm not here to prattle on, I'm here to exchange ideas, learn from all who have something to teach me, instill knowledge in those I can, and then take those exchanges of energy and put them to use making more music.

Ape

Message 30/30                 Date: 19-Mar-03  @  08:12 AM   -   RE: Kick Vs Bass. Again.

Filthy McNasty

Me to.

Pages: 1 2 3

There are 30 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum