0  |  skin: 1 2 3  | Login | Join  | 

Audioindy.com

Mail discussion to a friend Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About 7161 forums Forum home New Topic

Forums   -   Mixing & FX

Subject: Delay

Pages: 1 2 3 4

Original Message                 Date: 23-Feb-03  @  04:36 PM   -   Delay

sector7g

Link?:  Link
File?:  No file

I was wondering if anyone could explain how to use a delay to echo only certian cyllables in a word, or word(s) in a phrase.

For example, instead of delaying the whole phrase:
I love dancetech...(I love dancetech)...(I love dancetech)...etc

you would only delay the tech in dancetech:
I love dancetech...(tech)...(tech)...etc

Hopefully that will make sense to someone. I am using vst 5.0, and have both plugins and a hardware delay unit availible (Yamaha D1500, as recommended by dancetech).

Thanks

[ back to forum ]                           [quote]

Message 21/32                 Date: 25-Mar-03  @  05:11 PM     Edit: 25-Mar-03  |  05:17 PM   -   RE: Delay

DoeZer

Link?:  No link

hi d, Normal

guys. what you;re saying sounds cool...
but I haven;t a clue what you're on about!!! this is my problem. i don;t get the terminology for all this stuff, but I'm determined to get this dub/delay effect going  

can you do me a HUGE HUGE favour and just go thru in plain english what those connections are and what the settings are to get this setup working right. you see i got that drawing there off the web!! i'm still blissfully ignorant. its not like i've a degree in sound engineering or anything (which is of course stating the bleedin' obvious) know what i mean??  

any help appreciated.

cheers
D

oh yeah. one other thing. i've got a yamaha O1V mixer. which has internal fx. is it possible for me to get this effect without all the external hardware routings. i've already got some cool feedback delay but simply by turning the feedbacks to the max on an individual channel

[ back to forum ]               [quote]

Message 22/32                 Date: 25-Mar-03  @  11:00 PM   -   RE: Delay

milan

Link?: Link

hehe... i wont explain everything right now, but yes you can get the effect with the 01v by hooking it up to a pc and doing midi automation, since all the fx sends on it are automatable too. i use to do that all the time with my ole Promix before i went soft, so to speak...

Message 23/32                 Date: 26-Mar-03  @  09:14 AM   -   RE: Delay

DoeZer

hi milan,

yeah that's what i'm doing at the moment. i record fx fader movements into the PC as CC messages. then you've got your automated delay bursts etc.

but as far as i can make out there's another level i can take it to, by feeding back one delay into another and using different hardware channels in the process. gives a more dubbed out feel to the delay - ala Lee Scratch Perry et al.... (its a bit woolly at the moment but when i figure it out i'll post  )

thanks
D

Message 24/32                 Date: 26-Mar-03  @  12:06 PM   -   RE: Delay

Normal

Ok Doezer, you can get these dub effects using software, but i'm gonna go on about doing it purely HW, as it's just so much more fun, and you're basically playing your mixer like an instrument, real-time. Not too sure what you already know, so sorry if I sound condescending. Righto, all you need is a mixer, a delay unit, a sound source, and a load of cables. I'll talk about the feedback delay first, so forget the siren thing i mentioned for now.

First, connect your sound source to the mixer, in the normal way. Next, you want to hook up your delay unit. Best to keep it mono for now, as it's more simple. You want to connect an Aux Send (it might be called an "effects send" on your mixer) from your mixer to the input on your delay. So look round the back of your mixer for the Aux Send sockets, and connect number 1 socket to the input on yer delay. So now you turn up your Aux 1 knob on your sound source channel. What's happenning is some of the signal going through your sound source channel is being fed to your delay unit, while the rest is just going through your mixer normally. You can't hear the dealy yet, as we haven't returned it's sounds back to the desk yet. Now normally you'd return your effects back to the desk using the special Aux return (maybe effects return) inputs, but we're gonna return the dealy to it's own channel. So you connect a cable from the output on your delay to any input channel on your desk. So now when you play your sound source, some of the sound goes straight out of your desk uneffected (dry), while some goes to the delay, back to the desk and out (wet). Make sure the mix bit on your delay unit is set to wet, as we're balancing our wet and dry signals in the mixer, not in the delay unit.

So far, all you've don is connected your effects to your mixer, in a fairly standard way, whether you want to do feedbacks, or not. So get your sound source playing, and hear the delay. Now for the fun bit... turn down the feed back level on you're delay unit (tho not right down). turn up the aux1 nob a bit on the effects channel. As you turn it up you'll hear when the feedback catches... as soon as it catches, back it off a bit, to avoid distortion and blowing up your speakers. You'll have to ride the level on that delay channel and the aux1 nob, so it doesn't start distorting. Now you're sending your delayed signal back to the delay, in a loop. You can turn down the sound source channel, and you'll still hear the delay, as the sound is just looping from delay to mixer to delay. It's also good to mess with the EQ on that delay channel... I usually cut all the bass, and bring down the tops a bit, but play around. This will give more dynamic to the delay, as the sound is getting thinned by the eq each time it goes round the loop.

So say i'm running a vocal track as my sound source. I'd have the aux1 nob on that channel turned down to start with. If the vocal said " dance tech", i'd quickly flip that aux1 nob on the vocal channel up and back down on the "tech" bit, then quickly bring up the aux1 nob on the delay channel. You'd hear "dance tech tech tech tech", with the tech bit caught in the feedback loop, and as you mess with the eq, it'd get more messed up. Also mess with the feedback nob on your effects unit. With jsut one delay (low setting) you can get quite a clean loop going, whereas things get mushy more easily with a higher setting. But then with a low setting, you've got to be quicker getting to your aux1 nob on the delay channel. Anyway, have a play... that's basically it.

The siren thing is set up the same as the delay, but with no effects unit... just run a cable straight from your aux send back to it's own channel, and turn up the aux nob a bit till it feeds back... messing with the eg will change the tone. Then you can turn up the aux nob that'll send the siren to the delay, and feed that back and... Mad Proffessor stylee.

Shit, i written a lot. Concise i aint. Anyway, it's not as complicated as i've made it sound, and once you understand whats going on, it's so much fun delaying a bit of this, a bit of that and gennerally just mashin stuff up!

Al

Message 25/32                 Date: 26-Mar-03  @  02:35 PM   -   RE: Delay

DoeZer

Hey Normal,

what can I say... Thanks ALOT for your help  . finally a clear, concise (yes it was concise!) no BS description of how to set this up. 'Dub delay for Idiots' if you will :D.
that's just the level i needed it. connect this cable into that socket, then this knob and that knob etc... perfect!
enjoy the good karma, you've earned it  

D

Message 26/32                 Date: 26-Mar-03  @  05:00 PM   -   RE: Delay

Normal

no prob, glad it makes sense to you. Just noticed that you use an 01V, so not too sure about how it'll all work on that... might be possible, but i've only done it through an analog desk. I tried it in Reason once, as you can patch all the ins and outs, but just managed to get the nastiest ear bleeding digital feedback, so hope you don't end up with that. Basically careful with your ears and speakers!

Message 27/32                 Date: 26-Mar-03  @  05:34 PM   -   RE: Delay

DoeZer

yeah, for things like this it'd be better to keep it all analog, but i reckon with the o1v i'll get some kind of result. i would say that one of the reasons you got such a mess with te reason setup is because you can't ride the faders as subtly as you can with a mixer.

as for getting all this kind of stuff from a PC, check out the Ohmforce plug-in called 'OhmBoyz', its given me some great results

thanks again
D

Message 28/32                 Date: 08-Apr-03  @  01:55 PM   -   RE: Delay

dan-s

Don't forget trying to send the delay return to a phaser or flanger or some other kind of effect.
Lee Perry used that a lot on the congos' album. (At least I think it sounds like that)

Message 29/32                 Date: 08-Apr-03  @  10:58 PM   -   RE: Delay

k

yeah! - flanging and phasing sound ing cool on things like tom-tom & hand-drum percussion patterns!

Message 30/32                 Date: 09-Apr-03  @  10:10 AM   -   RE: Delay

milan

yeah totaly: delay return -> phaser/chorus/flanger vor more variation on the sound. excellent!

Pages: 1 2 3 4

There are 32 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum