0  |  skin: 1 2 3  | Login | Join  | 

Audioindy.com

Mail discussion to a friend Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About 7161 forums Forum home New Topic

Forums   -   Guitars & amps

Subject: HAHAHAHA

Pages: 1 2 3

Original Message                 Date: 30-Jan-03  @  07:01 AM   -   HAHAHAHA

proximus

Link?:  Link
File?:  No file

I'm getting an electric guitar in february..

What's a good budget friendly Amp simulator? You know.. that box you plug the guitar in and connect to your mixer?

[ back to forum ]                           [quote]

Message 21/30                 Date: 03-Apr-03  @  01:30 PM   -   RE: HAHAHAHA

k

Link?: Link

lucky git.... mmmmm..... svt... (homer voice)

I had an idea for a script once. It's basically Jaws except when the guys in the boat are going after Jaws, they look around and there's an even bigger Jaws. The guys have to team up with Jaws to get Bigger Jaws.... I call it... Big Jaws!!!

[ back to forum ]               [quote]

Message 22/30                 Date: 05-Apr-03  @  02:25 PM   -   RE: HAHAHAHA

Pongoid

but do you have the all valve head to move those cones properly?

Ape

Message 23/30                 Date: 28-Nov-04  @  12:15 PM   -   RE: HAHAHAHA

Jack

Well I think this might get the record for slowest moving thread , but fuggit...
Yeah dude, tubes all the way! I have a Musicman HD-130 which is really a guitar
amp. It only has 130 watts, but still makes all 8 of those speakers move!

Message 24/30                 Date: 28-Nov-04  @  08:13 PM   -   RE: HAHAHAHA

k

heh - i got an old ACOUSTIC 370 valve head from Sox's college for doing them a favour, now THAT'd go great with it

I had an idea for a script once. It's basically Jaws except when the guys in the boat are going after Jaws, they look around and there's an even bigger Jaws. The guys have to team up with Jaws to get Bigger Jaws.... I call it... Big Jaws!!!

Message 25/30                 Date: 21-Dec-04  @  04:47 AM   -   RE: HAHAHAHA

Jack

Yeah, now you're talking!!! That's a one way ticket to Grand Funk Railroad! Bong
rattling indeed. Not related to the thread but, the other day I go into a buddy's rental
property from which he's booting tenants. They left behind a mid 60's Fender
Deluxe with the old Jensen speaker!It was on it's way to the dump and I was so
close to getting it for free, but someone one step ahead of me grabbed it (another
buddy). We fired it up, it was awesome!

Message 26/30                 Date: 21-Dec-04  @  03:04 PM   -   RE: HAHAHAHA

k

damn! - yeah, i dunno what to do with the acoustic head. I've also got a Mackensie 200w bass tranny head which does the job fine with an 8x10... I did a few gigs with the Mackensie and a trace 8x10 cab in the past and they worked great... so loud the pa engineer always way saying "turn it down!!!!"

but i'm loath to part with the 370 cos i also play bass, and with an 8x10 that would be one hell of a rig... But, i need a JCM head and 4x12 now more urgently for this band gig, and the 370 would fetch a better price and probably sell faster than the Mackensie.

Message 27/30                 Date: 28-Jan-05  @  06:41 PM   -   RE: HAHAHAHA

craig

The tube-vs-POD debate has been raging for years now, and really it's the same debate as analog vs VA. Does the software sound exactly like a tube amp? No, not totally. Does software sound good? Yes. Does software sound better? That's a matter of opinion.

Personally I love my 5150 to death - I think it's the most underrated amp ever made, just because it comes from Peavey. It's the best $1000 combo you can buy IMHO. I've also got a new Pod XT Live (with a 5150 model in it). It doesn't sound exactly like the Peavey, but it does sound pretty close. It was also $400, and I can easily play and record it without the neighbors calling the cops on a daily basis. The Pod also has about 70 more amps in it. It's versatile, portable, great for practicing, and great for recording - especially if you're not super experienced at miking up cabinets and/or don't have a good sounding room to record guitar in.

Better? If you play in a cover band and need to go from Stevie Ray Vaughn to Metallica with a tap of a switch, I'd say yeah. If you live in an apartment, I'd say yeah. If you've got a signature sound you always use and you've got no neighbors sharing walls, or play a lot of live gigs with an original band, then I'd probably rather have the tube amp.

Message 28/30                 Date: 24-May-05  @  02:08 AM   -   RE: HAHAHAHA

pict

http://www.simulanalog.org/guitarsuite.htm

There is a FREE downloadable vst amp simulator here that is as good as any(or better than many according to some folk at harmony central).

Personally I would buy something like an old Selmer valve combo and mic it up,because they can be had for peanuts and they have a great tone or an old 70s Traynor valve head ike the YBA 1A bassmaster which is superb beyond belief I got mine for 175 quid.It's all valve class A ,for the price you would pay for that amp with a cabinet you'd have an infinitely better sound than any amp sim plus it would be easy to sell for what you paid for it as there's a growing demand for gutsy old amps that have REAL TONE.

I've tried many of these amp sims and I've noticed that I tend to spend a lot of time tweaking but never really feeling satisfied whereas when I plug into the Traynor it's like every tweak is inspirational and I find I've been noodling for hours with realising it.

BUT! These old amps are sometimes difficult to find spares for and expensive to maintain if you can't figure it out yourself(and it's VERY VERY DEADLY DANGEROUS to fiddle about inside a valve amp if you don't know what you are doing a musicman 100 watt amp for example can zap you with 700 volts! and SHAZAM you're FRIED HAM)

They're fuggin' heavy as the watts go up they get heavier, the bassmaster weighs 27 kg and that's just a 50 watt head.

They're eviction level loud if you turn them up(and once you've turned it up you will never be happy with keeping it turned down) even the small ones are loud 15 watts valve blows the arse off 15 watts solid state.

On ebay there are loads of obscure old valve amps for sale that offer many more interesting sounds in my opinion than the formulaic sameyness of modern amp sims with their mesa marshall fender presets (again my opinion).

If it's portability price and connectability you're after for 25 quid you can have via the DT shop

BEHRINGER V-TONE

GDI21

Direct-recording made simple and affordable—not to mention super-compact!

Create the most in-demand tube amp sounds or come up with your own! This BEHRINGER product has been designed to compete head to head with leading products on the market. * authentic V-TONE modeling technology recreates 3 classic guitar amps, 3 gain modes and 3 mic placements for a total of 27 configurations. It provides a truckload of great amps in a single stomp box—simply choose your favorite sounds with a flick of a switch. includes precise level and drive control plus a musical 2-band EQ for ultimate sound shaping. Use the GDI21 either for direct recording output with a speaker simulation or as a standard active direct injection box in bypass mode. The output is laid out on ¼'' TS or balanced, gold-plated XLR connectors. A ground lift switch eliminates typical ground loop problems, and it runs on a 9 V battery or a DC power supply (not included). Go from clean or crunch to super-fat distortion in a matter of seconds.

Message 29/30                 Date: 25-May-05  @  01:08 AM   -   RE: HAHAHAHA

k

you definitely get better bottom-end definition off a real valve amp than those simms, but they ARE very handy & portable

Message 30/30                 Date: 25-May-05  @  01:10 AM   -   RE: HAHAHAHA

k

oh yeah btw, that ampsim freebie package rocks ass for free, it DOES get very close to a jcm

Pages: 1 2 3

There are 30 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum