0  |  skin: 1 2 3  | Login | Join  | 

Audioindy.com

Mail discussion to a friend Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About 7161 forums Forum home New Topic

Forums   -   Drums / rhythms / programming

Subject: BEWARE OF THE DIGITAL DARKSIDE

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5

Original Message                 Date: 27-Feb-01  @  02:06 PM   -   BEWARE OF THE DIGITAL DARKSIDE

ANALOGUE ALAN

Link?:  No link
File?:  No file

MORE AND MORE PEOPLE ARE SUBMITTING TOWARDS THE DARKSIDE. YES I'M TALKING ABOUT THE EVIL OF ALL EVIL'S, "THE DIGITAL DOMAIN"!
NOW LETS GET ONE THING STRAIGHT, I'M NO EXPERT PRODUCER, JUST A POOR MUSIC MAKER WHO WORKS IN HIS BEDROOM 5 DAYS A WEEK AND AS AN ASSISTANT ENGINNEER 2 DAYS A WEEK. BUT LIKE MOST OF YOU GUYS I'M QUIETLY PLUGGING AWAY LEARNING A FEW NEW THINGS EVERY COUPLE OF WEEKS AND HOPING TO MAKE IT ONE DAY. NOW'S THAT'S SORTED OUT, BACK TO MY POINT-BEWARE OF THE DIGITAL DOMAIN !
TIMO MAAS, PEACE DIVISION, FUTURE SHOCK, 16B AND MOST OF THE OTHER TEC/TRIBAL/PROG PRODUCERS ALL OPERATE USING THE ANALOGUE FORCE (THE GOOD SIDE).
I,VE BEEN READING ABOUT SOME OF YOU GUYS TALKING ABOUT DITCHING MOST OF YOUR OUTBOARD IN FAVOUR OF VST/LOGIC AUDIO AND ALL THOSE WONDERFUL PLUG-INS. DON'T DO IT UNLESS YOU WANT THAT THIN,CLEAN,LITE,UNWARM SOUND. LETS KEEP THINGS TUFF,DIRTY AND ORGANIC-ESPECIALLY DRUMS!
OK, SO SOME OF THE PLUG-IN EQ'S, GATES AND DELAYS ARE USABLE, BUT THE REVERBS,COMPRESSORS,DISTORTION BOXES AND CHORUS UNITS SOUND HORRIBLE. THEY SOUND TOO CLEAN AND LACK DEPTH.
THIS IS A CALL TO ALL BEDROOM PRODUCERS WHO ARE THINKING OF MAKING THE SWITCH, DON'T DO IT! I KNOW ITS TEMPTING, ALL THOSE PLUG-INS, THE AUTOMATION CAPABILITIES AND THE ECONOMIES OF AN ENTIRE STUDIO ON SCREEN.
BUT IF YOU WANT THE SOUND OF ALL THE TOP PRODUCERS THEN YOUR BEST TO STAY WITH AN ANALOGUE DESK, OUTBOARD COMPESSOR,GATES AND LEXICON REVERB UNITS. PLEASE GUYS STAY HERE ON THE GOOD SIDE, USE THE ANALOGUE FORCE AND REMEMBER, THE GRASS IS NOT GREENER OVER THERE!

[ back to forum ]                           [quote]

Message 21/41                 Date: 03-Mar-01  @  07:08 PM   -   RE: BEWARE OF THE DIGITAL DARKSIDE

Jez

Link?: Link

I write sorta tech/house type stuff..check my site above if you wanna hear some of it. And thats not a p4p plug by the way cos you don't make peanuts off that site anyway...
I'm doing a bit of recording at Swag studio's in Croydon soon...you may heave heard of Terry Francis, Dave Mothersole and Colin Dale...well they all record there...but I'm still looking to get my stuff released...my plan is to do all my midi and programming at home..then get it all into audio and take it into Swag and use VST 32 in there with an engineer cos I can't mix that well...

Recently I have been caning it a bit to be honest..last weekend I went to five parties in one weekend but only paid to get into one...it's just that I know a lot of people who run the nights from various parties, ex-girlfriends or whatever and the London underground house and techno scene is always kicking and friendly so there's always places to go...I'm not really a reclusive studio type..although you have to change to that mode if you wanna get something done..

And I do try and keep the bean intake down to minimum...but if your at a great party then they need to be botched...simple as that..

gimme you e-mail address mate.
all the best. Jez

[ back to forum ]               [quote]

Message 22/41                 Date: 03-Mar-01  @  07:11 PM   -   RE: BEWARE OF THE DIGITAL DARKSIDE

Jez

Link?:  Link

by the way...Hope records is a great label. Do you like Jamie Anderson? He's from Bristol..

Message 23/41                 Date: 05-Mar-01  @  07:41 PM   -   RE: BEWARE OF THE DIGITAL DARKSIDE

r-tek

its ok, I wasn`t offended in the slightest.I used to use an mpc as it happens for drums and sequencing but had to sell it - shame cos nothing does drums so damn tight imo and you concetate more on feeling the music rather than seeing like I have to now on cubase   I`m making umm .....kinda like hardstep dnb I guess, sometimes I get on the dancefloor one and other times I just disappear up my arse and try and go all avant-garde on the case. Anyway, dubby spacy stuff with tuff beats and a solid bottom end - none of this distorted 2-step shite thats doing its best to kill dnb. I use samples from my emu sampler, usually programmed in 32nd note triplets and then pushed and pulled (dunno why, but I never push the first snare, I`ll either drag it back a little or leave it as is; 2nd anything in the 2nd half of the bar seems fair game for anything really) slightly to make it flow a bit better and then I`ll either build up some fills and whatever from there or just resample that one bar, compress it and chop it into pieces for rearrangement.I`m just using my sampler for bass right now, does a good job actually. I have a prophecy here but it just does my head in to be honest.

Message 24/41                 Date: 06-Mar-01  @  12:05 PM   -   RE: BEWARE OF THE DIGITAL DARKSIDE

Jasper

thing is it's tempting to buy into analogue synths and digital synths thinking that what you haven't got is the reason the stuff sounds shit.

I've bought all sorts of syths lately, and sold em on again to return to my trusted sampler.. all my good tracks are purely sample based.. for some reason the synths just don't want to play with me.

apart from my now dead bass station, a simple and dirty sound.

jez - bought 'sounds of the first season - sven vath' yet? - do so.. that's an order.

starts off mellow - and then rapes your eardrums.

Message 25/41                 Date: 06-Mar-01  @  03:08 PM   -   RE: BEWARE OF THE DIGITAL DARKSIDE

Jez

he's playing at The End on saturday Jasper but I'm not going cos I'm djying at this party over in Woolwich...

I'll give it a listen and I did like that album he did years ago called 'The Hralequin' or something like that...

Message 26/41                 Date: 06-Mar-01  @  03:49 PM   -   RE: BEWARE OF THE DIGITAL DARKSIDE

johan

geez.. i think this whole craze about what PRO:s do and don't do is just... too much! but then again, thats just what i think. i cannot speak for all.. but i prefer to have a certain warmth, and dirty feel to my sound.. not the perfectly compressed, polished, clean mix.. argl! in the end it is all about musical ideas.. yep, i'm speaking about chords, melody, rhythm, arrangements and so on.. and when the sound come a little bit rough, that is just good!

just my thoughts.. and i guess i will never be a proper PROFESSIONAL producer, but who cares.. i have my sound, and my technique.

regards,
johan

Message 27/41                 Date: 06-Mar-01  @  10:02 PM   -   RE: BEWARE OF THE DIGITAL DARKSIDE

ANALOGUE ANAL

Hey Johan. I know I tend to go on too much about 'The Pros'. Just a bit anal I guess. But what I do notice alot in clubs is the difference between well produced tracks and the not so well produced ones. Producers who really know what their doing, are able to make their tracks thump out of the club system. You can really see the crowds vibe change if a slightly weaker produced record is played. I suppose i'm talking more about how the track plays through a club system rather than programming or music.
Hey Jez! I remember going to that pub in woolwich, funny place, right next to a police station. Ironic considering what goes on inside. I've had some top Wiggle, Whoop Whoop!, Heart and Soul nights in there. Dave Mothersole is one of my favorite DJ's. Proper cutting edge, underground house.
Hey R-tek are you in to Wookie's stuff?
Take care.

Message 28/41                 Date: 06-Mar-01  @  11:00 PM   -   RE: BEWARE OF THE DIGITAL DARKSIDE

Jez

yeah Dave's playing on Saturday at this Cavort night over there...shit it's a small world. The last time I went over there was to a wiggle party about a year and a half ago and had a top night...yeah we noticed that..a police station right next to the cabbage patch kid's playden..I was wondering while totally boxed at Wiggle if half the crowd were coppers on their night off...lookin forward to this saturday..nice view over the thames as well...hope it's not too cold..

so have you got any stuff up to demonstrate your belief that analogue is better than digital then?

Message 29/41                 Date: 07-Mar-01  @  02:01 PM   -   RE: BEWARE OF THE DIGITAL DARKSIDE

ANALOGUE ALAN

Hey Jez. I've only been using the internet two weeks, I'm a bit of a beginner I'm afraid. I haven't even got a e-mail address. How do you post music on the net? Is it free? Sorry for the boring question. Take Care.

PS. Can I listen to your tune with just a pair of minijack headphones out the back of the computer?

Message 30/41                 Date: 08-Mar-01  @  01:27 AM   -   RE: BEWARE OF THE DIGITAL DARKSIDE

Jez

so your a beginner and you decide to shit on all things digital mate?

you've only just started using the internet? Where have you been the past few years? Stuck in that mad club over in Woolwich botching til your hearts content by the sounds of it...

oh listen to my tracks and I'll forgive you...haha

they are streamed in MP3 format...just get Winamp for free and then you can download tracks in mp3 format and listen..if your soundcard out is'nt connected to a set of speakers or an amp or whatever, then just plug your phones into the phone socket and you should get some sound...

all the best.

Jez

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5

There are 41 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum