0  |  skin: 1 2 3  | Login | Join  | 

Audioindy.com

Mail discussion to a friend Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About 7161 forums Forum home New Topic

Forums   -   Drums / rhythms / programming

Subject: Drum'N'Bass Area

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... 9

Original Message                 Date: 16-Oct-99  @  07:30 PM   -   Drum'N'Bass Area

wai

Link?:  No link
File?:  No file

Welcome to this new forum dedicated to the harder, phatter edge of dance music. Share your ideas, tips etc...Discuss about anything concerning the production of "Drum'n'Bass music. Hope this will be an active forum.

[ back to forum ]                           [quote]

Message 21/89                 Date: 28-Oct-99  @  11:37 AM   -   RE: Drum'N'Bass Area

atombom

Sox, how easy is it to play at 170 to 190 bpm? Do you ever just play at say 165 then time compress? Seems awful fast to play with any precision. But hey I couldn't play the drums to save my life.

Since your a real drummer rather than exclusively programming, can you offer us any hints into getting our grooves to sound more human?

[ back to forum ]               [quote]

Message 22/89                 Date: 28-Oct-99  @  01:26 PM   -   RE: Drum'N'Bass Area

R-Tek

When i said photek programmed his beats I meant he programmes the samples, if they weren`t breaks it wouldn`t b d+b would it?

Message 23/89                 Date: 28-Oct-99  @  06:54 PM   -   RE: Drum'N'Bass Area

sox

Link?:  Link

Yeah, I actually do play most of the stuff I do at 165/170bpm. I've been doing jungle for about 3/4 years now (and playing drums for 20) so I had the chops to start with. Most of the young drummers I come across can't do it though (and sound tight with it anyway). I think its down to a combination of experience and practice (and years of trying to play the jazz ride riff at an extremely fast tempo). Anything faster than 175 though and I lose the precision.

The stuff I do is based on having a live feel to it and isn't quantised to death. So when I play it for the hardcore junglists their first comment is usually "the drums sound weird. They're not quantised" I hope to post an MP3 soon to the site so people can check out our material.
Helpful Hints:
1)Try to play the stuff in half time (ie. 85 BPM) then double time it. Do this via MIDI so when you speed it up you don't change the pitch of the samples (assuming you're using a sampler and then you can control their pitch. I use an s950).
2)Use "Iterative quantise" and not "over quantise" or "note on quantise". This will gradually move your beats into place and not slot them in all at once.
3)Try and play the beats in as much as possible (don't forget you can slow the sequencer down to a tempo you can handle. Record it, put it at the tempo you want and then sample it)
4)Learn the Funk!! Cold Sweat by James Brown is the premier beat to mess around with for jungle. Learn it and then do a version of your own. Proper jungle kicks because it's got the funk, only sped up. (Listen to the original jungle stuff and slow it down by 50%=Funk/Hip Hop).
5) If you write the beats in, don't be afraid to kick the snares forward slightly (turn quantise off is best) to make the groove feel anticipated. Like the drummer is sitting on the beat rather than relaxing with it.
6) Probably "THE" most aspect of getting a live feel is the velocities of the beats. A drummer is constantly hitting things at different velocities (hard and soft).
Randomise your velocities or spend hours doing it by hand (fnarr fnarr). The results will be well worth it.
Experiment with the different accents and find your own voice.

And like Kilo says in another part of the site: "Learn to play a drum. Any drum." It will help you in so many ways as a musician. Whether you're a vocalist/guitarist/keyboardist or whatever. Nothing will improve your playing more.

Message 24/89                 Date: 28-Oct-99  @  11:01 PM   -   RE: Drum'N'Bass Area

atombom

Thanks sox. A great addition to this thread! I'll be waiting to hear your drum work.

Message 25/89                 Date: 29-Oct-99  @  03:13 AM   -   RE: Drum'N'Bass Area

K

he's right - cos whatever style of dance you make - in the end, you could take all the patterns, and change the sounds to drums... whatever the SOUNDS being used for the patterns, it's all just cross-riddims in the end... so learning drums, and studying different drum genre's from latin to Balearic, from Nyabinge to Gaelic whatever - they are all fuel for riddim informations... so you could take a standard classic Samba pattern, and change the drum sounds of say the leader-snare for a synth - you have a synth pattern... just add melody/scale - grab a reggea repeater pattern.... again... a new synth pattern.... check it out... join a hand-drum workshop...

Message 26/89                 Date: 30-Oct-99  @  02:07 AM   -   RE: Drum'N'Bass Area

wai

Another tip for programming breaks is to make good use of the eq. I don't mean to ed the whole break. Chop the beat up with Recycle etc.. Then assign the kick, snare to different outs on your sampler. i noticed you can boost the kick at about 80hz, which gives you a solid kick full of energy, unlike speeded up breaks which lose the bottom punch through transposition.
With the snare, you can add a bit of bottom, low mid etc..personal preferencve really, but i like my snare to sound wodden, if you know what i mean.
Can't wait to hear your demos Sox

Message 27/89                 Date: 30-Oct-99  @  05:31 AM   -   RE: Drum'N'Bass Area

R-Tek

Yeah, It all depends on what kinda drum sound you`re into. I dont like EQin` 2 much bass into the kick `cos I find it clutters up the bottom end 2 much - I like 2 lw=eave it clear 4 the bass.

Message 28/89                 Date: 30-Oct-99  @  07:51 AM   -   RE: Drum'N'Bass Area

atombom

Yes I know what you mean. Usually when I start a new track I decide what sound(s) are going to be the driving force for the low end and how far they are going to stretch upward in frequency. It's difficult to use all those house shaking bass drums and gut wrenching basses all at the same time but if you are minimal, get your tunings and timing arranged correctly then it can be better than just backing off on the bass here and there. I've also found that dipping the EQ out around 500 to 600Hz on wide sounding bass sounds will really open things up for the rest of the track and actually make the bass sound punchier.

Message 29/89                 Date: 30-Oct-99  @  07:58 AM   -   RE: Drum'N'Bass Area

R-Tek

Nice 4 that atombom, I`ll `ave 2 give it a try.

Message 30/89                 Date: 31-Oct-99  @  01:15 AM   -   RE: Drum'N'Bass Area

chemical

what samplers are you guys using atm?

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... 9

There are 89 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum