0  |  skin: 1 2 3  | Login | Join  | 

Audioindy.com

Mail discussion to a friend Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About 7161 forums Forum home New Topic

Forums   -   Synths & synthesis

Subject: modular synthesis

Pages: 1 2 3

Original Message                 Date: 29-Mar-03  @  03:07 PM   -   modular synthesis

Broken Silence

Link?:  Link
File?:  No file

what exactly does a modular synthesiser do? example the nord modular etc?

i looked on the internet but could only find programming tips..

is the sound drastically different, or is it just a different layout or something?

thanks~

bs

[ back to forum ]                           [quote]

Message 21/28                 Date: 10-Apr-03  @  02:08 PM   -   RE: modular synthesis

a.d.d.

Link?:  No link

some of my fondest synthesis memories are of the hours upon hours i spent in the studio at school just messing around with the emu modular and moog system 15. my professor told me that when he recieved his Ph.D. in the mid eighties whoever was running the music department there decided that anything analog was obsolete and tried to dump everything and get a bunch of those newfangled dx7's and emulators. he was offered a huge c-series moog modular and a couple system 15's, a prophet 5 and an oberheim 4-voice all for a couple hundred dollars. he turned it down!!!:0

[ back to forum ]               [quote]

Message 22/28                 Date: 10-Apr-03  @  05:53 PM   -   RE: modular synthesis

99devils

Link?: Link

Fuck me   Bet he's kicking himself now.

I've only had 4 hours or so with it but the Nord Modular is fantastic. The only thing that really sucks is that you have no idea what knob does what on the thing.. There are no labels and all the knobs are freely assignable..

I already got a nice 3-osc FM-ish pad going with the formant filter... A very cool sound that isn't possible with any analog I know of. It's going to take a while though before I really get my head around everything in there!

-Craig

Message 23/28                 Date: 11-Apr-03  @  02:49 AM   -   RE: modular synthesis

michael babb

the software editor for the nord has been a great learning tool for me.

but i have to stop thinking about the G2 version.
my truck has an oil leak.

Message 24/28                 Date: 11-Apr-03  @  03:23 AM   -   RE: modular synthesis

Broken Silence

you gots a g2?

Message 25/28                 Date: 11-Apr-03  @  02:08 PM   -   RE: modular synthesis

99devils

Nope, mine's a g1 keyboard.

-Craig

Message 26/28                 Date: 11-Apr-03  @  02:37 PM   -   RE: modular synthesis

Broken Silence

Link?:  No link

god those things look sweet

Message 27/28                 Date: 07-May-03  @  04:42 PM   -   RE: modular synthesis

Paul.Maddox

Hi,

If you want a 'REAL' modular, take a look at these modules ;- http://www.oakleysound.co.uk
you can buy them pre-assembled or as kits (cheaper)...

Paul

Message 28/28                 Date: 08-May-03  @  04:50 AM     Edit: 08-May-03  |  06:38 AM   -   RE: modular synthesis

Pongoid

Yeah, that's kinda cute, but here's the real stuff:

http://www.synthtech.com/motm.html

If you're gonna go with new modules, this stuff is pretty much as nice as it gets. Other companies like Wiard are also doing some really nice modules, and Serge is still kick-ass, but I've got a friend with these MTOM modules and OMG they sound SOOOOO sick. So stinky, warm, fat, defined, clean, and just what the witch doctor ordered.

Ape

Pages: 1 2 3

There are 28 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum