0  |  skin: 1 2 3  | Login | Join  | 

Audioindy.com

Mail discussion to a friend Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About 7161 forums Forum home New Topic

Forums   -   Mixing & FX

Subject: digital & analogue combi gain structure

Pages: 1 2 3

Original Message                 Date: 10-Oct-05  @  12:34 PM   -   digital & analogue combi gain structure

Dominic

Link?:  No link
File?:  No file

I'm having major issues with deciding on -10 db and +4db inputs and outputs in my studio. I run 24 channels of delta 410 soundcard outputs down 24 channels on my Mackie 32:8:8 analogue board. I have made sure that my control panel card outputs are at -10db consumer and that 0db on my instrument channel in Logic 5.5 on the PC exactly matches 0db on the repective Mackie desk channel. I try to have my mixes peaking at +3db on the Mackie - is that about right?

I like to sub group my drums through one of my focusrite compounders but am having problems deciding on whether to use the +4db inputs or -10db inputs. When I use the -10 db inputs - the signal peaks nicely at 0db on the compounder. When I flick the switch to +4db inputs then the compounder metre peaks at about -10db on the LED metre. The Mackie manual says that -10 db inputs are semi pro and +4db inputs are pro. Does that mean the Mackie desk is a semi pro desk and that I should be using the -10 db inputs on my compounder?

Finally I have the same input question with regards to my Focusrite Mixmaster. I have tried routing the final mix from my Mackie main mix output into both the -10db inputs and +4db inputs on the Mixmaster using both XLR's and Jacks and come out of the Mixmaster via an spdif lead back into one of the Delta 410 soundcard digital inputs and into a audio track with Logic. This is because I need to then throw Logic's AD limiter over the final WAV to have any chance of getting my final mixes to anything like the same volume/gain as commercial CD's. Do you think I am comprimising my final mixes by recording back into Logic from my Mixmaster? I mean when I play back my final mix WAV - it peaks at 0db on my Mackie faders whereas when I play back a commercial track ripped off a CD, it hits anything from +6db to +12db on my Mackie main metres - is this because they have been pro mastered? Would I be better off purchasing a standalone CDR recorder and going via spdif directly from my Mixmaster into the CDR recorder? Would I get a hotter signal that way?

I know there are a lot of questions above so thanks for taking the time to read this. Cheers.

[ back to forum ]                           [quote]

Message 21/21                 Date: 28-Oct-05  @  09:24 PM   -   RE: digital & analogue combi gain structure

k

Link?:  Link

File?:  No file

are you sure?... -22 on a logic PC channel meter isnt really visible in normal view. The very bottom single segment of the channel meter = -24

grab the meter right bottom corner with the mouse and drag the thing out big and check the meter

I had an idea for a script once. It's basically Jaws except when the guys in the boat are going after Jaws, they look around and there's an even bigger Jaws. The guys have to team up with Jaws to get Bigger Jaws.... I call it... Big Jaws!!!

[ back to forum ]               [quote]

Pages: 1 2 3

There are 21 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum